Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [Let Us Know] Your Location AND How You Found YaBB (Read 5,722 times)
RaverBaby

Re: Where are you from and how did you find YaBB?
Reply #30 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 8:26pm
Post Tools
Quote:
I'm from Milan, Italy but i live in Cornwall, UK, where the weather is not as miserable as in Manchester, but, in return, there is no football at all (at least no football worth watching) Tongue

I came accross YaBB while I was setting up my gf's band's website and they wanted a bullettin board to post about gigs and stuff in general. I installed it and instantly (well...almost) loved it and now I am also trying to help (unfortunately not as much as I'd like coz I have to work as well  Lips Sealed) with YaBB2.

*Maurizio looks at his position on YaBBforum and cries*

The weather in Cornwall shouldnt be that different from Manchester - welcome to Great Britan, where the football is world class but the weather is not.

I am from Norwich, UK (near London)

I found YaBB on the support forum for About Web Services *they use YaBB*

IP Logged

HFSH
God Member

Reply #31 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 8:32pm
Post Tools
From the US.  I looked around for a free forum, got a few suggestions on where to look from a computer friend.

I think Tucows pointed me to YaBB.  I think, if I remember, my first YaBB was SP1 - it had just been released.

It's all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure to flush when you are done.&&

IP Logged

Candi

Reply #32 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 1:18pm
Post Tools
I'm from Manchester, UK.

I first found about YaBB from a forum I like to visit. Liked it so much I wanted to make my own  Cheesy

IP Logged

Spikecity
Requiescat In Pace

Reply #33 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 7:08pm
Post Tools
Quote:
1) Where do you live?

Living in Spijkenisse, the Netherlands (near Rotterdam)
Quote:
2) How did you first find YaBB?

While writing some Perl which was rusty that time I found YaBB, got hooked, wrote my own version (Platinum Release), about 25 mods for various SP1.x and are now over my ears into SP2 development Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2004 at 7:09pm by Spikecity »  

IP Logged

StefBrandybuck
YaBB Newcomer

Hailing from North Carolina in the US
Reply #34 - May 17th, 2004 at 8:01pm
Post Tools
I came across YaBB board software in late 2001 when I joined a YaBB forum at billyboyd.net.  That site no longer has a board, but for the first year I participated I watched how the administrator and moderators worked their magic, and when I created bucklebury.net and desired a message board program I considered no other alternatives than YaBB.

Ever since I opened Bucklebury Tavern, I have realized just how easy it can be to customize and administrate a YaBB forum, even with very little Perl experience.  The scripts are well commented and the hierarchy of data files used is easy to understand.

I have recommended YaBB to many of my friends who have their own servers and sites and desire a forum service.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2004 at 3:34pm by StefBrandybuck »  
IP Logged

globalspot28
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #35 - May 19th, 2004 at 3:12pm
Post Tools
Quote:
So let's find out!

1) Where do you live?

2) How did you first find YaBB?

I live in California, and I find out about YaBB through my friends site (http://www.afghan-web.com). ; He said he really liked it and so I gave it a try and I am very happy with it.

The Truth is Stranger than Fiction at GlobalSpot.Com
IP Logged

LoonyPandora
Requiescat In Pace
Development Team

Reply #36 - May 19th, 2004 at 4:08pm
Post Tools
Quote:
I'm from Manchester, UK.

I first found about YaBB from a forum I like to visit. Liked it so much I wanted to make my own  Cheesy

oooh, another Mancunian - I might know you! - where about's in manchester, and which site was it that used YaBB?

IP Logged

Jotunar

Reply #37 - May 24th, 2004 at 4:50pm
Post Tools
Hi.  I'm in Kentucky, and found YABB via Google, actually.  I hadn't heard of it, and was looking for an alternative to Invision Powerboard...which is rather heavy and costly. 

Not to mention it's not OS.  So that's why I am using it.  Not to mention it seems almost overly configurable.

IP Logged

Jguy101
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #38 - May 26th, 2004 at 9:32pm
Post Tools
Well...

1) Oregon.
2) Google, after a suggestion from my C++ instructor. Grin

IP Logged

Poly

Reply #39 - May 26th, 2004 at 11:46pm
Post Tools
I came across YaBB SE about a year and a half ago after finding Snottyboi.net, a site hosting a YaBB SE Forum. I fell in love with forums immediately. Smiley

I ran a YaBB SE Board for a while, but after crashing MYSQL Data Base (and not having many users at the time, anyway) I scrapped it.

I then started maintaining a Blogish type site. After it built enough traffic and I had recieved a few requests for me to enable a Respond to Post option, I decided to move it back to a Forum base. After looking for YaBB SE again, I came across YaBB Gold 1.3.1.

And you know what?

It rocks;D

AIM  
IP Logged

Jotunar

Reply #40 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 1:47am
Post Tools
I *detest* InvisionPowerBoard.

That is all.

IP Logged

Slyder

Reply #41 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 8:01am
Post Tools
Quote:
I found YaBB through a chat website that was offering free webspace. Along with the webspace came a YaBB forum. I used the forum, and when the website decided to end their hosting, I bought my own domain and hosting and installed YaBB and have been using it ever since. Smiley
same story

and i'm from Texas, USA.

IP Logged

Ikari-Kun
Past Team Members

Reply #42 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 6:07am
Post Tools
1. I live in Berlin - Germany ^^

2. The first BB I ever posted in was a YaBB, and since then I've never seen a board software wich is as good as YaBB, in many things. Later I got my own YaBB and started to give some support at this board. ^^

IP Logged

Juvenall Wilson
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #43 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 4:23pm
Post Tools
I'm big daddy switch, but sadly, my drivers license knows me as Dr. Juvenall Wilson (well, it will in October..lol). I was born Macon, Georga USA while my parents were visiting my uncle, taken home and rased in Cork, Ireland and moved here to Detroit, Michigan USA when I was 15..and it's where I still call home Wink

I first ran into YaBB back in 2000 when I was browsing for an answer to a perl question on one of the old news groups (I *think* comp.lang.perl.misc) when I ran into a post from Zef about the project. That's when I started diging around and became involved with several other boards before I grew tired of their crap. Then in mid 2001 (about a year after I started in this "BB industry"), I took a big leap and started using YaBB. After a few months, I  opted to try and give back to the community and become a more active member of the team. Then in late 2003, I was made an admin and now I buy and sell people like you all day Grin (kidding..lol Tongue).  Hard to think I've spent so much time here, but I wouldn't trade it for anything Smiley (other then a big sack of money..but that's a different story..heh)

What's funny though is when I first started posting around here, I was looking for some ideas on a Perl news script I was working on. So my long lost first post really hand *nothing* to do with YaBB..lmao.

Edited:
See, this is what I get for being slow..lol. As I went back to read what I've missed in this thread, I find eggmedia is from Macon too..lol. Oh well..Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2004 at 4:30pm by Juvenall Wilson »  
WWWGTalkICQYIMAIM  
IP Logged

eyaka

Reply #44 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 10:18am
Post Tools
Im from Sheffield england.
I found YaBB searching for a forum that didnt need
mySQL which isnt supported on my server.
I must say im very impressed.

It seems far more advanced as phpnuke and yet it was far
less hassle.
Also a lot easier to edit AND there are far more mods.

Basically its more advanced and cheaper (for me) to host Smiley

THANKYOU YABB THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top