Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Linux/Windows Install up. Please review. (Read 12,566 times)
Juvenall Wilson
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Linux/Windows Install up. Please review.
Sep 22nd, 2005 at 8:51pm
Post Tools
If anyone gets the time, could you please review the Installation directions I put up today?

http://www.yabbsupport.com/codex/Linux_Installation

http://www.yabbsupport.com/codex/Windows_Installation

As with everything else, please feel free to make any changes you believe will help improve the article.  Smiley

WWWGTalkICQYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
Past Team Members

Re: Linux/Windows Install up. Please review.
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 12:40am
Post Tools
I checked out the Linux installation tutorial, fixed a few grammatical errors, and added a link to the chmod tutorial where appropriate.  I also added the "yabb2" directory after "cgi-bin" in a few places, as, even if Perl scripts do have to be executed within the cgi-bin directory, I've never seen a host that didn't allow you to execute scripts from within subdirectories of the cgi-bin (and things can get really messy if you don't keep things organized in subdirectories).

Other than that, it looks great.  I'll try to take a look at the Windows tutorial, but I don't really know how Windows installation works, so I don't know how much I'll be able to critique.

Can you possibly add some info about creating tables in the "Wiki Markup" tutorial?  I noticed that you used a table to show the info about which files to upload, etc.

Edited:
I looked over the Windows tutorial, too.  I made most of the same changes I made to the Linux tutorial.

Also - it may be worthwhile to have someone add in a quick write-up about having to change the auto-detected paths during Setup.pl, as, unless it's been fixed, I know Setup.pl was putting the wrong types of slashes in the auto-detected paths on a Windows system.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:24am by Curtiss Grymala »  

You should always perform a complete back-up before making any changes or modifications to your forums.

IP Logged

マット
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:22am
Post Tools
I read over the windows guide and all looks good (at least from an IIS stand point) I did fix afew spelling errors and added YaBB2/ to your example URLS since the package comes in cgi-bin/YaBB2/ and most people are more likly to just upload the YaBB2 folder to there CGI-BIN (and it also matches the file structure example you gave). Someone else might want to go over it for spelling and gramer since my abilities in that are are very low.

urayamu koto ni narete shimattara&&hokoreru jibun ga toozakatteku&&(If I get used to enving others&&those parts of myself that I am proud of will reced from me.)&&-Stellvia

No help will be given via PM, search the baords, ask on the boards, or check out http://codex.yabbforum.com/
IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
Past Team Members

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:27am
Post Tools
Uh-oh Eagle.  I think you and I may have been working on the Windows tut at the same time.  I hope I didn't screw you up.

You should always perform a complete back-up before making any changes or modifications to your forums.

IP Logged

Juvenall Wilson
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:30am
Post Tools
This is where the stub tag {{inuse}} comes in handy.  Wink. A big green banner comes across the top of the page letting everyone know that someone is editing the article.

Anyhow, thanks for the fix up guys! When I type something up quickly like that, I tend to become *really* sloppy with my spelling and grammar (not that those are strong points of mine to begin with..lol). What's worse is I actually gave copies of the Word documents I was writing things in to a close friend of mine for a good proof read, and they've been AWOL since. I just didn't have the time to sit around waiting for them to sent the updated copies back. Cry

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:32am by Juvenall Wilson »  
WWWGTalkICQYIMAIM  
IP Logged

マット
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:39am
Post Tools
Quote:
Uh-oh Eagle.  I think you and I may have been working on the Windows tut at the same time.  I hope I didn't screw you up.

Looks like some of my changes did not stick, but I just put them back in.

urayamu koto ni narete shimattara&&hokoreru jibun ga toozakatteku&&(If I get used to enving others&&those parts of myself that I am proud of will reced from me.)&&-Stellvia

No help will be given via PM, search the baords, ask on the boards, or check out http://codex.yabbforum.com/
IP Logged

Juvenall Wilson
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:43am
Post Tools
In case either of you didn't know this, MediaWiki does have a difference function as part of the history page. It will highlight anything that's changed between two versions. Just hit the "History" tab on the article, check the two versions you want to compare and click "diff".

..and Eagle, don't forget to register on the site so I can give you sysop powers (lets you edit restricted pages).  Smiley

Edited:
Holy crap, I actually typed "no" and not "know". God I'm getting old.  Tongue
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005 at 2:51am by Juvenall Wilson »  
WWWGTalkICQYIMAIM  
IP Logged

マット
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:52am
Post Tools
Quote:
In case either of you didn't no this, MediaWiki does have a difference function as part of the history page. It will highlight anything that's changed between two versions. Just hit the "History" tab on the article, check the two versions you want to compare and click "diff".

..and Eagle, don't forget to register on the site so I can give you sysop powers (lets you edit restricted pages).  Smiley

Done but a warning, I have never heard of "Wiki" till today.

IP Logged

Juvenall Wilson
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 3:01am
Post Tools
Quote:
Done but a warning, I have never heard of "Wiki" till today.

For what it's worth, this is my first time really diving into a Wiki, either. I've edited a few pages on the Wikipedia before, but that's about it.  Grin

WWWGTalkICQYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
Past Team Members

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 10:36am
Post Tools
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.  I didn't really have a clue what I was doing until I read your tut, Juve.  It really isn't too difficult, but it's a whole lot different than anything else I've used.

I will remember to check the differences next time, to make sure I don't overwrite anything.

IP Logged

Ikari-Kun
Past Team Members

Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 2:00pm
Post Tools
Quote:
I know Setup.pl was putting the wrong types of slashes in the auto-detected paths on a Windows system.

There is no need to worry about the slash types, since perl supports normal slashes as directory seperators on windows, in addition to backslashes.

IP Logged

Monsen
YaBB Legends (Active)

YaBB 2.3
Reply #11 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 4:09pm
Post Tools
Ikari-Kun wrote on Sep 23rd, 2005 at 2:00pm:
There is no need to worry about the slash types, since perl supports normal slashes as directory seperators on windows, in addition to backslashes.
Actually, there is reason to worry. Because these paths are stored inside regualr quotes ("), which means the backslashes will be interpreted as escape-character long before perl would try to use them as direcory seperators, making it an invalid path.

This problem seems to be fixed though.. The newst setup gives me nice forward-slashes on my IIS test install....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top