Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) YaBB Universal Converter [Beta 4] (Read 141,990 times)
depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: YaBB Universal Converter [Beta 3]
Reply #134 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 2:30am
Post Tools
Once I managed to set the right permissions on convert.pl everything went ok. When I go to view/delete members, I am able to delete the admin as there is now a check box.

Is there any file you can alter to put the protection back (blank out check box as in standard install)?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Tarantulas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #133 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 4:36am
Post Tools
Looks like I engaged in the Great American Exercise - jumping to conclusions. It's not the first time I've tasted shoe leather.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #132 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 3:52pm
Post Tools
They say they use it for handling nested tags.

Do not PM me for support.
IP Logged

Tea-Master
YaBB Legends (Active)

Reply #131 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 6:12am
Post Tools
any ideas what it is for?

--> also known as Agent Zed Wink

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #130 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 12:28am
Post Tools
I'll see about fixing that on the next beta.

IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
Past Team Members

Reply #129 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 12:23am
Post Tools
Quote:
The board users are so happy! It's nice being up and running again. They did notice something strange, though. The posts from the previous board that had any kind of formatting seem to have been revised. Every time there's a Bold or a text color or an image posted using the phpBB code within brackets, the converter adds a number to it. Here's an example post:

We've told the users to correct their previous posts if they want to see images again or have their own text reformatted. And it's not like the text is being lost, just the formatting. It might be something to consider for future revisions of the converter.

Actually, I don't think the converter adds that.

For some strange reason (and I never figured this out myself), phpBB puts that information into the SQL tables.  Somewhere in the phpBB code, there must be something that parses those numbers and converts them into something.

You should always perform a complete back-up before making any changes or modifications to your forums.

IP Logged

Tarantulas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #128 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 9:28pm
Post Tools
The board users are so happy! It's nice being up and running again. They did notice something strange, though. The posts from the previous board that had any kind of formatting seem to have been revised. Every time there's a Bold or a text color or an image posted using the phpBB code within brackets, the converter adds a number to it. Here's an example post:

Quote:
:lol: [color=blue:ba451346e4][b:ba451346e4]"I just wanted to make sure there was a link here for folks to find too. Thank you for all the help. The latest count is '464' in '156 Days' so we must be doing something right."[/b:ba451346e4][/color:ba451346e4] :lol:

We've told the users to correct their previous posts if they want to see images again or have their own text reformatted. And it's not like the text is being lost, just the formatting. It might be something to consider for future revisions of the converter.

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #127 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 5:05pm
Post Tools
Yep. I caught the real reason behind that bug just last night, and it should be fixed in the next version. I'm sorry about that bug. Undecided

IP Logged

Tarantulas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #126 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 5:31am
Post Tools
It turned out that there was a problem. With the original conversion there were more than 600 files in the messages directory. The fan fiction forum was missing all the posts from early August of 2005 to late March of 2006. So I ran the conversion again and there were 1252 files in the messages folder. This time I set the time delay to 80 instead of 20, so it converted all the messages without any intermediate steps. I downloaded the files to my machine, put the board into Maintenance Mode, uploaded the 600+ new files, clicked on Recount Board Totals and Rebuild Message Index, and now the missing fanfics seem to be restored.

I'm very happy with the results here. YaBB has saved our board and brought it back from extinction. Thanks very much for your hard work on the conversion script. It has now recruited another YaBB evangelist!

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #125 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 1:29am
Post Tools
Not a problem! Grin I'm thrilled that it worked once you figured it out! Let me know if anything seems wrong with the converted data.

IP Logged

Tarantulas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #124 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 12:34am
Post Tools
Quote:
You cannot use the Eblah driver to convert phpBB. Select phpBB2.pl on the first page and then fill in the information for your MySQL database.

Heh, I must have misunderstood. Okay, here's what I did. I went to phpMyAdmin and found the database name and the other information that was requested, and put it into the second page of the script. I ran the script and it seemed to work fine. I had a few messages so the script gave me 3 updates, with a message to "click here if nothing happens in 5 seconds" but I didn't need to because it worked fine. Under the "Converted" directory there were three subdirectories full of files. I copied those files to the corresponding directories in my YaBB directory. Then, as the script suggested on its final page, I ran the YaBB maintenance controls from the Admin Center.

The result is that WOO HOO the board appears to be restored! No more phpBB security problems, and my users are going to be completely thrilled. Thanks so much for building the converter and for your patience with this YaBB newbie.

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #123 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 8:47pm
Post Tools
You cannot use the Eblah driver to convert phpBB. Select phpBB2.pl on the first page and then fill in the information for your MySQL database.

IP Logged

Tarantulas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #122 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 7:52pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Make sure you're running the right input driver. That's the Eblah one, not the phpBB2 driver.

My displaced board users keep sending me email, wondering when the board will be back. So let's try this step by step. I copied all the converter files into the main cgi-bin directory for my website. When I point my browser to the converter.pl file in that directory, it brings up the YaBB Universal Converter main page. I select the eblah.pl input driver and the YaBB2.pl output driver and click the "Use these converters" button. So far so good.

On the next screen I'm asked for three things. The first is "Maximum amount of time to use per conversion step:" I entered "20" because an earlier poster said that number worked for him. The last thing I'm asked for is "Information for the output driver: Directory to output data to:" There's a directory already entered here, and it's the "cgi-bin/Converted" directory, which actually does exist, so that looks good. The second thing I'm asked for is "Information for the input driver: Directory to read data from:" I'm running a phpBB, so I'm assuming the script is looking for a directory under there. I have 8 directories under my phpBB directory. They are "admin," "cache," "db," "docs," "images," "includes," "language," and "templates." If I choose the "db" directory (for example), and put "db" into the input box and click the "Start Conversion" button, the response I get says "Software error: Can't open db/Boards/bdindex.db: No such file or directory at /www2/apache/www/saveandr/public_html/cgi-bin/Input/eblah.pl line 57." So apparently the script is looking into the "db" directory and trying to find a "Boards" directory containing a file named "bdindex.db." There's no "Boards" directory in that "db" directory.

What is my correct choice for "Information for the input driver: Directory to read data from:"?

IP Logged

dan cardwell

Reply #121 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
thanx!

I had a go at manually merging them and it was ok until i tried viewing stuff or moving stuff, it got too confused, must have been something somewhereelse that located the topics too
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006 at 4:47pm by dan cardwell »  

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #120 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 4:42pm
Post Tools
@dan: I'll reconvert yours and then give you another .zip. Sorry about that Sad

Quote:
I just installed YaBB and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm having some problems with the conversion.
The user profiles and forum list comes through fine, aside from a blank forum that randomly appears. That's not a problem really as a quick delete solves it. What is tinkling on my parade is that most all newer phpBB posts aren't being converted. I'm going to allow more time for the "Maximum amount of time to use per conversion step", just in case it's cutting out the newer posts.
I'll report the results, because I figure even if it settles it for me, someone else may want to know. Smiley

EDIT: Problem solved. I raised it to 20 seconds and although it looked bad at first, I recalculated everything and it all turned up. Smiley

Glad to hear that Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006 at 4:46pm by AK108 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top