Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Sig Height Restrictions (Read 3,452 times)
Curtiss Grymala
Past Team Members

Sig Height Restrictions
Mar 28th, 2006 at 2:58pm
Post Tools
I'm not sure if this counts as a bug or not, since it's really a browser-specific issue.  Anyway, I finally got around to checking out the sig restrictions (as someone had pointed out something that I thought was a bug in my Admin Center Update mod), and found that IE does not enforce the "max-height" of the sigs properly.

Here are some screenies that I just pulled from these boards, using a 350-pixel high sig image:

As you can see, Firefox implements the scrollbar at 200 pixels (or wherever the admin sets it when using the AdminCenter Update mod), but IE does not implement a scrollbar/overflow at all.

You should always perform a complete back-up before making any changes or modifications to your forums.

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Re: Sig Height Restrictions
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 3:10pm
Post Tools
Hi
which version of Firefox are you using? 1.07 have scrolling in Sig. 1.5 and above havent scrollbar.

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
Past Team Members

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 3:13pm
Post Tools
I'm using 1.0.7.

If Firefox 1.5 doesn't impose the scrollbar either, then that means we really should find a new way to implement that feature, as I think that's one of the best new features of Y2.

You should always perform a complete back-up before making any changes or modifications to your forums.

IP Logged

Spikecity
Requiescat In Pace

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 6:32pm
Post Tools
Strange things are always happening with images in the various browsers.
If you specify a specific height for a div of let's say 200 px IE will just stretch up to whatever height the image is while FF and Opera will either overflow or show a scroll bar and remain 200 px (which is the only correct way).

That's why my first attempt on the Y22 template on my devboard looked super in IE and all images were running out the header in the other browsers (as I forgot the set the height on the header div).
Forgetting to set a heigt for IE again means wrapping tight around the image, where as Opera and FF wrap around the text in the div (which is sort of correct) and let the image flow over.

If you want real strict and "pixel perfect" browser independent looks you are compelled to set all your div heights and widths in css Wink

IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
Past Team Members

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 3:14pm
Post Tools
Quote:
If you want real strict and "pixel perfect" browser independent looks you are compelled to set all your div heights and widths in css Wink

Hmm.  That stinks.

IP Logged

Spikecity
Requiescat In Pace

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 5:15pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Hmm.  That stinks.

I know, but in a perfect world even IE would require it Wink
As in CSS2 each div or span entity is seen as an "independent" block which can freely float anywhere on the screen this is the backdraw of pixel perfection.

If you really want to see some stunning CSS only designs I can recommend you take a look at the ZenGarden site.
Based on only changing the stylesheet these guys/girls can make the html page (which they are not allowed to change one byte) look completely different.

http://www.csszengarden.com/

And believe it or not but these demo pages validate in whatever standard you can dream of Wink

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:06am
Post Tools
Please test now. I didn't update anything, however it works for me in Konqueror 3.5.2, Opera 9.02, and Firefox 1.5.0.7 (all Linux).

Do not PM me for support.
IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 4:00am
Post Tools
Moving to needs-verify.

Do not PM me for support.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #8 - May 30th, 2007 at 1:32pm
Post Tools
Still a problem?

IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
Past Team Members

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 1:32pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on May 30th, 2007 at 1:32pm:
Still a problem?

In 2.2, the scrollbar appears in IE7, Firefox 2 and Firefox 1.5.  It still doesn't work in IE6, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top