Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Convert from eblah? (Read 4,024 times)
eshesh
YaBB Newcomer

Convert from eblah?
Apr 14th, 2006 at 3:23am
Post Tools
Is there a converter available that will assist me in moving my eblah users and messages to YaBB?

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Re: Convert from eblah?
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 3:29am
Post Tools
Sure, check out the Universal Converter. It's still in Beta, and doesn't convert PMs, but I'd like to hear if you have any luck with it.

Do not PM me for support.
IP Logged

eshesh
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 3:34am
Post Tools
OK, thanks. I'll give it a try.

IP Logged

eshesh
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2006 at 12:29am
Post Tools
Well, it's more than a month since my last reply to this message, but I finally got around to trying out the converter.

My goal is to convert my two Eblah forums to YaBB. I started with the smaller one.

First, I installed YaBB 2.1 and it seems to work fine. Just left it the way it was after install, since I want to populate it with my Eblah boards, messages, and users.

Next, I copied the converter files over to my cgi-bin (the latest 2.2 beta I believe), chmodded them I think correctly (dirs 777, .pl files 755). I did not edit the converter.pl file to specify the locations of any directories, because everything in there looked fine to me.

When I run converter.pl, I specify Eblah.pl as the input driver and YaBB2.pl as the output driver. Then I get this error:

Quote:
Software error:

Global symbol "$converteddir" requires explicit package name at /home/ixacta/www/abqmoms.com/cgi-bin/forum/Convert/Input/eblah.pl line 58.
Global symbol "$maxsteps" requires explicit package name at /home/ixacta/www/abqmoms.com/cgi-bin/forum/Convert/Input/eblah.pl line 136.
Global symbol "$maxsteps" requires explicit package name at /home/ixacta/www/abqmoms.com/cgi-bin/forum/Convert/Input/eblah.pl line 167.
Compilation failed in require at converter.pl line 120.

I don't have any experience with YaBB or converters, so this is all new to me. The instructions for conversion seem a little sketchy (no complaints, just hard for someone like me without much experience!), so I probably am missing something obvious.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2006 at 2:53am by eshesh »  

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2006 at 1:01am
Post Tools
Sorry about the instructions... I haven't spent much time on them due to things changing fairly fast between versions.

Now, are you using Beta 2.2? Please use that, and replace your Input/eblah.pl file with the attached one and see if that's better.

eblah_pl.zip (Attachment deleted)

Do not PM me for support.
IP Logged

eshesh
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2006 at 2:34am
Post Tools
The new file worked like a charm, thanks!

No worries about the instructions. I tend to follow them obsessively, if there are any, because I have to sort of  feel my way around unix like a blind man. Last time I had much to do with unix was in the dark ages when it ran on a vax pdp 1170 in college, and then I mostly just played rogue .

When the conversion was completed, I moved the converted files from Converted/Boards, Converted/Members, and Converted/Messages into the YaBB directories of the same name.

Then I ran those admin functions to rebuild post counts, etc.

End result: The converted forum looks GREAT! Thank you!

As I look through it more carefully, if I find anything that didn't convert the way I would expect, I'll post again.

One thing: I have a second Eblah forum I'd like to convert. However, it's quite a bit larger and I would need to able to preserve PMs and Attachments. If you ever get around to converting those and need a a tester, let me know.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2006 at 2:36am by eshesh »  

IP Logged

eshesh
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2006 at 3:04am
Post Tools
Here are a few things I saw that didn't convert, possibly because YaBB has no analog, but I don't know enough about YaBB yet to be sure.

• The original eblah forum made use of categories, subcategories, and boards. The conversion flattened it to just categories and boards. Not a big problem, although I liked it better with the subcategories.
  • The original eblah forum had a few special message boards that were actually just links to other URLs. They just looked like a board in the forum index, but when you clicked on them, they pointed to another site entirely. These were converted to empty boards. Not a big deal.
  • The original eblah forum made heavy use of "member groups" which I believe YaBB calls "position" (YaBB preset ones are "YaBB administrator" and "Global moderator"). The member groups I had defined in Eblah did not convert. This will take me significant time to reproduce in YaBB. It's quick to define the new positions, but slow, tedious, and error prone to re-attach them to the members.
  • That's all for now. I'll let you know if I see anything else. Thanks for a great converter!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top