Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic add a tracefile to the converter? (Read 2,513 times)
old goat
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

add a tracefile to the converter?
Apr 27th, 2006 at 9:48am
Post Tools
I've realised something in the process of validating the data converted, that having a formatted log of the basic actions/results produced by the converter might be a good idea.
Not a detailed dump of all the data (like a transaction log for a database), but one that notes the blocks of data read, and any problems hit. That way, you get a quick run-down of anything going wrong.

I'm testing this through my converter, which is about ready for merging with the uni-converter, and will report back on results.

Please don't PM me for support - I'll only go and ignore it!
AIM  
IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Re: add a tracefile to the converter?
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 7:59pm
Post Tools
I could go for that. I don't know how you would want it done, though. I could monitor file access, but that won't help for the database-based drivers. I could give a logging subroutine to help, much like I give the SaveWorkInProgress routines.

For your driver, make sure to use strict and warnings. Those are a pain, but they help find any problems with the wrong piece of data being sent.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2006 at 8:00pm by AK108 »  

Do not PM me for support.
IP Logged

old goat
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 1:12pm
Post Tools
The approach I've taken is a file that records the basic data (cats/boards), and stuff like bad user names/old user names.
Also captures the larger things like totals of users/posts and found attachments.

that way, someone converting has a hard copy of the process so they can check back if they hit a problem.

In theory this would also be a way for us to get data dumps for reported issues. We know what the code is supposed to do, and can record the vitals, like the debug string. The user with the problem can then be asked to run a debug trace and send the resulting file over so as to have it analysed.

AIM  
IP Logged

alex_b
Development Team

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 7:08pm
Post Tools
Hey! s_m_b, did you have in mind a converter for Y3?

old goat
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2006 at 8:42am
Post Tools
we'll need one, though I imagine the y2>y3 one will be part of the setup.
Thankfully, database > database is much easier, of course, and flat-file to db might well be done easier using the available database file drivers.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools