Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic vBulletin/phpBB --> YaBB2 + numbers + features (Read 2,426 times)
jabbjabb
YaBB Newcomer

vBulletin/phpBB --> YaBB2 + numbers + features
May 26th, 2006 at 7:19am
Post Tools
Hello there,
I am currently helping a friend to evaluate different message board systems, because the current forum hoster will stop the service in August 2006.

It's a vBulletin (vB) board and since you have to pay for vB we are looking for a more cost effective solution. Of course we want to "keep" our old forum in the means of posts, categories, users, PM's, user rights, groups, layout and so on... as best as possible.

The old forum hoster will provide an export script to get the data in phpBB (don't know which release, think phpBB2) format.

That leaves me with 2 options:
#1 - get the data in vB format and move to another board software
#2 - get the data in phpBB format and do the same

As for #2 I already found some php based forum packages that might do the trick: SMF, phpBB (doh  Tongue) and myBB (only 90% sure of that). While searching the net I found YaBB2 and read the converter thread, where some1 said, phpBB-->YaBB would be doable.

Now I wonder if there was a direct way vB-->YaBB?

Why YaBB? Well... it needs no mySQL, I know YaBB from personal experience (YaBB1 that is), it lives for 5+ years now (so no forum "newbie" to say so)...

I did an YaBB2 install yesterday and toyed around a bit already.

Would be nice if some1 could answer some questions in that field or give ideas etc.

1. Is there a direct converter vB-->YaBB2? If so - what will be converted fully, partly and what will NOT be converted? Example: I didn't found password protected boards in YaBB2 - but there are such boards in vB - how is this handled?
2. Which elements from phpBB will be converted?
3. Has any1 done such a vB-->YaBB transition? Experinces? Hints?
4. Same for phpBB-->YaBB?

5. Numbers. Since YaBB has no database backend - what about the performance? Are there any numbers, i.e. max. user count, max post count, category count... etc.? What I mean is a YaBB installation on a standard webhost, installed right out of the box... ofc. the system will work for 10 users... 100 users.... 1000 posts, 2000 posts and so on... with a good response time (aka speed, "snappy" feeling. What if you get 200+ users, 20.000+ posts, each user with 200+ PM's and so on? I mean, is there a "sweet spot" or "max number" for YaBB to say so? Some1 here with a HUGE YaBB board to share some tips? Also technical questions like: how BIG will YaBB be on the file system (aka webhost)? OK - depends on average post size... grrr - I know - rough numbers?

6. Security - VERY IMPORTANT. The forum will be spidered by major search engines. The "public" part that is. The "hidden" forums and categories SHALL NOT (NOT means UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES) make it's way into the search index of a search engine. VERY private talk there.  Huh Also the users profile data - can things be hidden, so even a search robot wouldn't crawl it?

7. Features. Ok - I found categories, boards. Boards and categories can be hidden depending on user group - fine. Password protected boards? Boards that are there but won't show in the list - you have to know the exact address? (As I said, very private talk). Found PM's, ok. Found the template designer which worked great for the post layout, will try other things (whole board layout) later. Anything from the point of view of a vB or phpBB admin that works NOT, in a DIFFERENT way, BETTER that in the former system?

8. Backup+Restore: How easy is a complete board backup and restore? How do you do it? Just use FTP and copy some (which?) YaBB folders? And how's the restore process?

Good - I think you get the idea... hope you can help me with some hints and answers, thanks in advance!

Regards

P.S. Rough numbers (from the memberlist: around 300 users, 45.000 posts from what I can see (am no admin/mod  Undecided so that might only hold true for the public available data) at the moment and it grows steadily.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2006 at 9:00am by jabbjabb »  

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Re: vBulletin/phpBB --> YaBB2 + numbers + features
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2006 at 1:02pm
Post Tools
Quote:
1. Is there a direct converter vB-->YaBB2? If so - what will be converted fully, partly and what will NOT be converted? Example: I didn't found password protected boards in YaBB2 - but there are such boards in vB - how is this handled?
2. Which elements from phpBB will be converted?
3. Has any1 done such a vB-->YaBB transition? Experinces? Hints?
4. Same for phpBB-->YaBB?

1. Nope. I haven't had the time or resources to make a vB converter.
2. phpBB has the basic structure converted, including Members, Messages, Boards, and Categories. Only basic data is converted, and you'll lose membergroups, privage messages, attachments, and board/category level settings. I'm working to change this, though.
3. No such conversion has taken place, but I'm helping to do another "leapfrog" conversion of Ezboard->phpBB->YaBB.
4. It works in most of the important places. It will get better.

Quote:
5. Numbers. Since YaBB has no database backend - what about the performance? Are there any numbers, i.e. max. user count, max post count, category count... etc.? What I mean is a YaBB installation on a standard webhost, installed right out of the box... ofc. the system will work for 10 users... 100 users.... 1000 posts, 2000 posts and so on... with a good response time (aka speed, "snappy" feeling. What if you get 200+ users, 20.000+ posts, each user with 200+ PM's and so on? I mean, is there a "sweet spot" or "max number" for YaBB to say so? Some1 here with a HUGE YaBB board to share some tips? Also technical questions like: how BIG will YaBB be on the file system (aka webhost)? OK - depends on average post size... grrr - I know - rough numbers?

6. Security - VERY IMPORTANT. The forum will be spidered by major search engines. The "public" part that is. The "hidden" forums and categories SHALL NOT (NOT means UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES) make it's way into the search index of a search engine. VERY private talk there.  Huh Also the users profile data - can things be hidden, so even a search robot wouldn't crawl it?

7. Features. Ok - I found categories, boards. Boards and categories can be hidden depending on user group - fine. Password protected boards? Boards that are there but won't show in the list - you have to know the exact address? (As I said, very private talk). Found PM's, ok. Found the template designer which worked great for the post layout, will try other things (whole board layout) later. Anything from the point of view of a vB or phpBB admin that works NOT, in a DIFFERENT way, BETTER that in the former system?

8. Backup+Restore: How easy is a complete board backup and restore? How do you do it? Just use FTP and copy some (which?) YaBB folders? And how's the restore process?

5. YaBB has no maximum limits. Performance scales pretty good (look here and at some other highly used YaBBs). I'm personally working on making YaBB2.2 much better and faster, so it should be the best yet.

6. YaBB is considered to be very secure. User profiles cannot be seen by guests or search engines, and you can allow only certain membergroups to access forums. As an example: YaBB2 has a security rating of 7 while phpBB has a rating of 1 by cPanel (higher numbers are better), and there's only one script that I saw with an 8.

7. We don't have password protected boards. Instead, use membergroups to protect boards and categories. Only boards that you have access to are shown. Our featurelist is quite big. You might also want to check out BoardMod: http://boardmod.org

8. You just download the files under cgi-bin for YaBB. I wrote a mod that makes backups easy, check it out: http://www.boardmod.org/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=beta_y2;action=display;num=1134568762

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me or another staff member.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2006 at 8:03pm by AK108 »  

Do not PM me for support.
IP Logged

jabbjabb
YaBB Newcomer

Re: vBulletin/phpBB --> YaBB2 + numbers + features
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2006 at 6:37pm
Post Tools
@AK108
Thanks for the reply.

As for the performance - I checked some other boards (100.000+ posts for example) and it was quite fast - so I think it should be ok for us.

I haven't heard of that security rating of cPanel, but will try to find more information... that sounds very interesting. I am a member in other communities where phpBB is used and we already found several security issues including webspiders reading and publishing content of hidden boards!  Embarrassed Angry

I already started to change the template and with some CSS knowledge I did ok in one day - basic member handling, groups and forum/category management was easy enough. So that's a nice thing. I'll talk the main forum admin of my migration project into looking at the testboard I did setup for her - maybe we really switch to YaBB... I will see how we can solve that convert problem. Am a programmer myself, unfortunately not in the field of PHP or Perl... but this might be the reason to start with.

My basic idea is to get a SQL export (in vB or phpBB style) and write a conversion utility from these text files into the text files YaBB uses. So one would have to do only the SQL backup, FTP it to a local machine and it could work without needing network access and stuff. The result could then be FTPed to the webhost... Only file and string manipulation would be needed ... hm.

As for the password protection - yes, noticed that. Well - other board software has both, that's why I asked. I think you can sort it out with what YaBB already has...

Quote:
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me or another staff member.

I will do so  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top