Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Would it be possible to (Read 4,821 times)
gaogier
YaBB Newcomer

Would it be possible to
Jun 2nd, 2006 at 3:44pm
Post Tools
Hello, im new to this board, i have used phpbb all the time.

I would like to know, if i can convert, all the data from phpbb to yabb, and could it run on the same database? If this is possible, how can i run, both boards at the same time, using to different boards?

Dose this board allow mods to be kept, if i update the forums?

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Re: Would it be possible to
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 4:00pm
Post Tools
YaBB doesn't use a database. The converter copies your data from phpBB's database to YaBB's format. So you can't run both boards at the same time using the same information.

If you change to YaBB, you'll need to find new modifications.

Do not PM me for support.
IP Logged

gaogier
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 4:18pm
Post Tools
then how can i convert over?

will it keep the phpbb data on that forum?

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 4:28pm
Post Tools
I'm writing a phpBB converter which you can run to convert the data. Your phpBB database will be left alone.

IP Logged

gaogier
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
so it is not yet possible, how long do you think untill it would be ready?

IP Logged

AK108
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 5:09pm
Post Tools
If you only need Boards, Members, and Messages converted, and you don't mind trying out beta code, you can convert very soon. The phpBB converter is mostly done, and I just need to upload the next Universal Converter version.

IP Logged

Tarantulas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 8:25am
Post Tools
Well here's another new member hoping to see the converter up and running. I had a nice little phpBB with a good group of friends and some interesting topics. A couple of people showed up with usernames indicating they were spammers (one was selling "phentermine"). Right after they registered, the users started complaining that the board was running slowly, and then the board failed. I went to the cPanel and found YaBB was the new default discussion board installation, came here and found the converter under development. I can see the phpBB database and all the users and posts are still there, so the converter will be nice to have. Thanks for working on it.

Now that YaBB is in everyone's cPanel, there will probably be more people coming here to find a way to change over to YaBB. But hey, no pressure, right?  Wink

IP Logged

gaogier
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 3:19pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Well here's another new member hoping to see the converter up and running. I had a nice little phpBB with a good group of friends and some interesting topics. A couple of people showed up with usernames indicating they were spammers (one was selling "phentermine"). Right after they registered, the users started complaining that the board was running slowly, and then the board failed. I went to the cPanel and found YaBB was the new default discussion board installation, came here and found the converter under development. I can see the phpBB database and all the users and posts are still there, so the converter will be nice to have. Thanks for working on it.

Now that YaBB is in everyone's cPanel, there will probably be more people coming here to find a way to change over to YaBB. But hey, no pressure, right?  Wink

thats why im really comming here, i just found it on cpanel, and want to see what the users think, if they like it better than phpbb, then we shall stay with yabb, if not, we should stay with phpbb, untill another board comes along

IP Logged

Tarantulas
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 5:13am
Post Tools
Here's an article about phpBB from 2005:

Quote:
Some web hosts are banning the use of phpBB in the wake of persistent security problems for the popular open source web forum program. The move follows renewed attacks on phpBB after a coding error was found in the same file targeted by a December worm attack that defaced thousands of phpBB sites.

"It's been brought to our attention over recent weeks that some hosts are banning or dissuading the use of phpBB," said a message from the phpBB development team. "This is unfortunate for everyone and seems largely to be based on FUD (Ed. fear, uncertainty and doubt). While phpBB has and no doubt will continue to suffer from exploits (show me a piece of software that doesn't!) we have consistently addressed such issues very quickly."

Web hosts are less impressed. One host that has banned the software said phpBB had been its biggest security headache. "Since January, phpBB has been through at least 4, and maybe 5 revisions due to serious vulnerabilities, often found/reported wthin HOURS of a version release," HostPC said in its customer advisory.

The latest security incident involves a security flaw in a file called viewtopic.php, which was attacked by the Santy worm. UPDATE: Our initial report suggested the security hole in phpBB 2.0.15 was the same flaw found in version 2.0.11 and targeted by the Santy worm. The latest flaw is actually in a different section of the viewtopic.php code, according to Ashley Pinner of the phpBB support team. A fix is included in a new update of phpBB, which has had persistent security problems in recent months. phpBB is among the web's most popular bulletin board programs, with more than 194,000 registered members of its user forum.

IP Logged

2md
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 8:58pm
Post Tools
Is it getting closer to getting done?  My board hosts about.. 178 members, with 20-22 forums, and roughly about..

Forum Statistics
Statistic      Value      Statistic      Value
Number of posts:      39203      Posts per day:      223.35
Number of topics:      1966      Topics per day:      11.20
Number of users:      178      Users per day:      1.01
Board started:      08 Jan 2006 08:22 am      Avatar directory size:      13.63 KB
Database size:      35.63 MB      Gzip compression:      OFF

will it be possible to convert to YaBB?
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2006 at 8:59pm by 2md »  

IP Logged

gaogier
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 10:51pm
Post Tools
i have been using the univeral conveter, and i can only transfer, 20971 out of, 44165 so, it might not work for you, if it dose, tell me what you done

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools