Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) [Request] CopperMine Photo Gallery Bridge (Read 19,276 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: [Request] CopperMine Photo Gallery Bridge
Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2009 at 4:12am
Post Tools
You could also look at this post

JanC's fix is for PHP pages she created, it might be made to work with Coppermine (with Coppermine used in 'open mode'.)

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1229017993

Good Luck
Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:38pm
Post Tools
Another thought on this is about YaBB V3 - which will have MySQL support. - this is 'one' of the benefits of the MySQL support - you will be able to create stored procedures (and use other tools - such as calls from PHP based applications such as Coppermine) to bridge things to YaBB much more easily.

You can - for sure, write code for this to happen now, as Perl has support for MySQL, without waiting for YaBB 3, BUT it will be one-way, dependent code, and it will be a BIG project I think - (why I didn't undertake it)

Good Luck again
Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - May 21st, 2009 at 12:16pm
Post Tools
Hi Mik50

The bad news is I don't think its possible at the moment to synchronize the user databases.

The lowest level reason is that YaBB and Coppermine do not keep the cleartext password of users.  (that's good from a security point of view).  This would not be such a big issue, but they use two different methods for deriving the hashed 'code' that is stored. 

The way the login really works is you supply the cleartext password, the program encrypts that and hashes it, and compares the result with the stored value in the database.  Since YaBB and Coppermine use different methods to derive the hash, the same cleartext password will give two different results.  These are one-way hashes, so you cannot reconstruct the password from the stored value.

So if you have existing members, there's no way to use the member data to create the Coppermine membership data, as you don't have a password to work with.

The reason Coppermine (which is based on PHP and MySQL) works with SMF and some other forums is that it was designed specifically to do just that.  They use a common data table & PHP/MySQL methods to handle the member data.

There's two possible workarounds. (there may be others, and I have not attempted either of these - over my head)

First - this one relies on a clean start.

Add a piece of Perl code to the registration process for Yabb that opens the Coppermine MySQL database, and makes the entry using the same hash method Coppermine/MySQL used.  Perl has support for MySQL and you would need to do a bit of research on the correct Perl function for the hash in Coppermine. 

Second -

Modify Coppermine to accommodate either two hash methods so you would 'OR' the password test, or substitute the YaBB method.

Neither of these are 'easy fixes' as you can see.

Smiley

The other idea I can offer is to use a referring URL test (either as an ISAPI filter or a .htaccess directive) that makes sure the 'jumping off point' can only be reached from inside your Yabb Forum. (this is what I did) And if they wanted to have user galleries, or be admins in Coppermine, they had to register in Coppermine too.

Good Luck
Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2009 at 6:28pm
Post Tools
Hi

I will put up a reply tonight or tomorrow with what I know...

Smiley

IP Logged

Mik50

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2009 at 9:42am
Post Tools
Friends, I badly speak English. Therefore I will tell shortly. Very much I wait and I hope on fast bridge occurrences yabb-coppermine. Or already the bridge exists? Thanks.  Cool

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:06pm
Post Tools
HI guys and girls

I have probed Coppermine pretty well recently.  And I 'think' I have exhausted any/all 'easy-easy-easy' solutions.

If anyone has also done a real analysis, I'd like to discuss it - up to the point of drawing tentative conclusions - doable/doable-but-way-too-hard/no-truly-feasible-solution.

I don't want to throw out things, and I have a workable-but-foogly solution (no 'real integration' - but a proprietary security workaround)

Anyone?

Smiley

IP Logged

Clark
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:08am
Post Tools
Thank you, and yes.  I did find album.pl on my own, but discounted it as an inferior, single-developer solution that hasn't seen much development in the past two years.

My point is, in the big picture, why should YaBB users have to settle for a basic, niche capability when other forum users have so many choices available?  It's simply an area that I would think should be addressed.  I haven't even begun to look for other value-add turn key additions to my website, but already I'm dreading the thought.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:09am by Clark »  

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 3:57am
Post Tools
I'm not a Dev Team member, but here is another way you can add an album.

Have you ever read any of the information in our Codex?

Like this post for example, that's been there several months at least.

Coppermine has little room to talk when it comes to resource use.   Grin Grin  They imagine because all the data is in one file, only one file has to open therefore server load must be less.  Look up some time all the things that must run in order to actually do anything with that database file.  One of my hosts makes it very clear you can install ONE CM install, and if it causes problems it is gone.  It's a good program, but there are plenty that are easier and IMO far better.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:02am by OH Eng »  

IP Logged

Clark
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 3:48am
Post Tools
I, too, thought that CopperMine would be the integrated image gallery solution I'm looking for as I found "YaBB" listed on their homepage.  After the euphoria over the seeming conclusion of two months of off and on searching died down, however, it turns out that the mention is a throwback to YaBB SE.

Keep in mind what this means to my website - the implementation of an image gallery, which I planned to introduce at the beginning of the summer, is no closer to fruition at summer's end.  I could be beaten to the hosting punch by a competitor because I'm determined to find a robust gallery solution while remaining loyal to YaBB as my existing, and only, user authentication solution.

On the CopperMine forum, one of their team explains here that YaBB is indeed not supported.  In fact, this post explains one developer's opinion of why in a candid way.

My point is that it's apparently much easier to switch from YaBB to another forum application to match any of a number of similarly well developed and supported image gallery solutions than to find a single one that will share user authentication with YaBB.  The purpose of this post, therefore, is to emphasize to the developers that YaBB is falling short in this area and encourage an emphasis on proactive integration solutions for YaBB webmasters.

I've had to pass up not only CopperMine, but Gallery and a host of smaller apps so far, even though some of those have a cadre of recommendations for forums other than YaBB that will integrate (in particular PHP solutions like SMF, vBulletin, phpBB, etc.).  The requirement is, of course, to keep my users from registering multiple and differing usernames for each new area of the website.

On a related note, the magic keyword "integration" seems to be proudly emphasized on some of the more developed application websites.  A search of this forum turns up hardly any instances of the word at all - save for an unfulfilled feature request.

So, as a YaBB loyalist who finds that the current version already does nearly everything I would like it to, I wish someone from the development team would switch from trying to pack stuff into version 3 and address this area!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:48am by Clark »  

IP Logged

brtz
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 2:03pm
Post Tools
YaBB is not in the list of supported bulletin boards (anymore?). Does anyone have this bridge running? Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2008 at 2:03pm by brtz »  

IP Logged

AfroHead

Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 3:26pm
Post Tools
Yes, this would absolutely be a very valuable bridge to integrate a powerful gallery solution into YaBB.  Do you know why they claim it is integrated into YaBB?  Have they written the bridge?  If anyone has any information on this I would appreciate learning more about this.  I am going to install Coppermine this weekend and if I find out anything about it's integration with YaBB I'll let you all know.  Thanks

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

[Request] CopperMine Photo Gallery Bridge
Jan 11th, 2008 at 4:23am
Post Tools
This has been a "much" requested bridge ... even they recognize YaBB on their site for intergation

http://coppermine-gallery.net/
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2008 at 2:55pm by James Bone »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top