Poll
Poll closed Question: What new feature(s) would you like to see in YaBB 2.3 ?

*** This poll has now closed ***

Quick Post Reply Box    
  123 (11.1%)
Reverse Post Order in Topics    
  52 (4.7%)
Option to See Poll Results as Pie Chart    
  59 (5.3%)
Option to Add/Extend Profile Fields    
  94 (8.5%)
Category Images    
  67 (6.0%)
Showcase Poll    
  44 (4.0%)
Advanced Email Notification    
  76 (6.8%)
Data Backup    
  133 (12.0%)
Button to Top of Page    
  71 (6.4%)
Sub (nested) Boards (added 6/9/08)    
  83 (7.5%)
Preselected Smilies (added 6/9/08)    
  34 (3.1%)
Multiple Attachments (added 6/9/08)    
  94 (8.5%)
User Avatar Upload (added 6/9/08)    
  100 (9.0%)
Limit Image Display Size (added 6/9/08)    
  81 (7.3%)

Total votes: 1111
« Last Modified by: Corey Chapman on: Aug 15th, 2008 at 2:28am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Choose what features we added to YaBB 2.3! (Read 34,349 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Choose what features we added to YaBB 2.3!
Reply #45 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:15pm
Post Tools
I don't think I have seen this request, and YES I already voted!  and YES I will do the right thing on version 3.

I don't think this would be all that difficult and it would for sure simplify my little world.

Even though there's the ability to have Moderator or GM only boards, where you can post things of interest only to Mods and or admins. I find I use the Member PM features a lot to keep things running.  I use the broadcast PM much less.

BUT this idea is a gneral PM thingy.  Why not let PM's have attachments?  I'm unsure if it would be necessary to have a separate folder for them, I can't see why that would be the case, but I didn't write YaBB either.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to send a screenshot to one of my GM's, to clarify what we are talking about.  Sometimes its Yabb stuff, sometimes 3rd party tools we are trying to get to work etc.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

pedrax
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #46 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:55am
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on Jul 20th, 2008 at 6:28pm:
Not to imply you are stupid at all, but the reason every conceivable mod is not included in YaBB is because many of them are features the majority of users will choose not to use.  So why bloat their code and make them download/upload dozens of specialty files they don't need?

The whole idea is to keep the code fairly simple and smooth, yet at the same time make it expandable easily to suit the needs and wants of the individual user.  In my own forums I use some mods (that the users want) in one forum, but not in others because the users don't want them, but want others instead. 

There is also the matter of how big an Admin Center would have to be to allow turning on/off every single mod, and the matter of developers having to make sure every single mod worked with every single other mod.  That's a lot of time they could spend fixing something or adding a feature that has popular support.  Not to mention the Support Team would now become the support team for all mods.  That's a bit much.

That is a fair point, be assured that I am a full YaBB enthusiast, never the less, for the most recent version of YaBB there is only a handful of mods that actually work. Many of them are standard on your rivals' products.

Maybe then a good compromise would be (as I have already suggested) that you have a version that is available for download that is fully loaded with mods. You could add the disclaimer that you only support the 'skinny' version, and that the 'bloated' version is merely for the convenience of your regular users.

I also point out that many people who use forums and then go on to decide to set up their own will see that the 'skinny' version of YaBB is seriously lacking in many areas, and will almost surely choose another BB which is better featured for the user. This will be because it is such a drag updating the mods after a security update.

As the webmaster / IT manager / etc. What am I supposed to do when an update for YaBB comes out? Ignor the fact that some security issues have been fixed, that some bugs have been fixed and carry on using a compromised version because of the hassle upgrading all the pretty standard (everywhere else) mods. That would seem to be the choice that many of your users go for, using an old version as their favorite mod does not work with the new versions. That attitude is how the Internet winds up full of compromised servers, hacked and cracked with exploits that YaBB (amongst others) thought they had left far behind.

In all sincerity, you need to sort out the upgrade path. At the moment it is cumbersome and hard work, it does not encourage people to update to the latest versions, leaves security holes all over the place due to people not upgrading... in the end you get less and less people downloading your upgrades, and you wonder why (I have seen the posts from your admin here to this effect).

Your stated mission is to produce the best BB in the world. If you want to do that, you'd be well advised to listen rather than make excuses using hypothesis which have no actual grounding in reality. Your users need your help, not a high handed, oh we can't support that or this. No-one is forcing you to do this, if it is too much drop the project and find something else to do with your time.  Wink

IP Logged

pedrax
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #47 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 11:01am
Post Tools
Most of the mods for 2.2 don't work with 2.2.3... so a bit of a mute point really. Waste of a morning. I guess the sensible thing to do is to wait for the version 3, then wait a couple of months for the standard mods to catch up, then upgrade... so what are we looking at? Some time after christmas?

For my grouching, I still love YaBB... I just want to get rid of the bugs that are hounding me at the moment.  Wink

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 3:46pm
Post Tools
I sure don't get where that statement come from ... ALL Final MODs have been updated for Y2.2.3 since 07/13/08 !  All most all Beta MODs have been updated for Y2.2.3 since the same date, OR have been included "in" YaBB 2.2.3 !

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #49 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:54pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Your stated mission is to produce the best BB in the world. If you want to do that, you'd be well advised to listen rather than make excuses using hypothesis which have no actual grounding in reality.

You're missing the whole point... we DO listen, and for every user that wants a full-blown forum packed to the gills with every conceivable bell and whistle, we have another user who finds it too hard to install, too hard to learn all the features, and whose host is coming down on them for excessive server resource use.  Not two weeks ago we had a user critique us for not making video tutorials to explain all the settings and features.  Should we drop adding mods to do that, or will we be "high-handed" non-listeners if we don't?  

It would be nice if the world was perfect, but it isn't perfect.  All user's needs should fairly be addressed, and the only way those can be met is by carefully evaluating what should/should not go into the main body of YaBB code.  I can assure you those things are discussed, and there is even occasional disagreement on them, but in the end we have to make a decision.  No decision made will ever please everyone, but we try our best with all users in mind.  Look at the poll results - you can see there is a wide diversity of opinions.

It is disingenuous to blame the YaBB team for the decision of users, claiming it's the team's "fault" that some user doesn't upgrade, then assuming it's always because of the lack of mod updating, somehow forcing them to remain "unsecure."  It's even more ridiculous to think because old versions are being used out there, they are all being hacked.  Some users - including me - use older versions because they work just fine and are plenty secure.

First off, there is nothing that says all older versions are insecure.  I will grant that very old versions were, but I wouldn't say that about anything from 2.1 and beyond.  ANY forum, anything on a server for that matter, can be hacked by a determined and knowledgeable person.  The largest banks, government institutions, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, etc. have all been hacked.  Second, if a user doesn't upgrade because of a mod - and one of my own forums is one of those - it's hardly the software writer's fault that I choose not to use updates available to me.  This is no different than failing to update windows because a game written for Win 3.1 won't run in Vista, then blaming Microsoft because your Win 3.1 was exploited.  The fault is with the user; it's their risk.   My 2.1 board has several mods on it, all but two are to increase the security.  I don't even get spammers anymore, let alone someone trying to "break" it.  I'm satisfied it's as secure as I can make it short of upgrading it (and losing the mod my users want).  But feeling assured is never a guarantee; it could get hacked tomorrow.  If it does, I'm not going to claim it's the fault of YaBB developers for not seeing to it that all mods were included and properly upgraded in a timely fashion.

Quote:
Your users need your help, not a high handed, oh we can't support that or this. No-one is forcing you to do this, if it is too much drop the project and find something else to do with your time.

Then what you should do is learn Perl and join the development team, then you can contribute to this effort and make sure we aren't doing anything "high-handed."  No one is forcing you to be a bystander in the process.  I don't think anyone here is considering dropping the project because it doesn't suit your personal idea of proper development.  You have a choice; if you want mods, go get them.  The new user who can't get CHMODs or paths correct is not going to feel deprived over bells and whistles when their basic forum isn't running yet.  They deserve as much focus as the power users.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2008 at 6:22pm by OH Eng »  

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #50 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 6:32pm
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:54pm:
First off, there is nothing that says all older versions are insecure.  I will grant that very old versions were, but I wouldn't say that about anything from 2.1 and beyond.

Actually, 2.1 has a known vulnerability in its captcha generation code that allows bots to get through.  I discovered this bug and helped the developers fix it for 2.2.  The thread with all the pertinent details has unfortunately been deleted or moved someplace I can't access, but suffice it to say that I would say 2.1 isn't secure.

(That said, I have not yet upgraded to 2.2 because I manually patched this hole in my personal 2.1 installation.)

Regardless, I agree with the developers' decision to NOT include every mod possible.  The only mods that should be automatically included are the ones that add/fix/improve basic functionality and/or are installed by >50% of users.  Everything else should be optional precisely because it keeps the board lean.

BoardMod is certainly a non-standard way of adding functionality, rather than the more traditional method of plugins... personally, I'd prefer a plugin system rather than one that modifies the source code.  However, the way the mods work is also what makes them so flexible, so there are benefits to it, as well.  I don't have a problem with the current system except that BoardMod doesn't exist for Mac and I haven't gotten it to work properly on Linux, either.

IP Logged

pedrax
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #51 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 8:09pm
Post Tools
OH Eng, thank you for your reply, I take you points and they are well made. I wouldn't call myself a power user, just a simple user. I see messages that say that there have been security improvements, and bugs have been fixed, I just want to improve the security and fix the bugs. I'll shut up now, my post was borne of frustration, all power to the YaBB team, thank you for all you hard work. It is honestly appreciated.

Quote:
I sure don't get where that statement come from ... ALL Final MODs have been updated for Y2.2.3 since 07/13/08 !  All most all Beta MODs have been updated for Y2.2.3 since the same date, OR have been included "in" YaBB 2.2.3 !

Here are three examples of mods that appear not to work. There are others, but I don't want to bore you with reams of output from BoadMod (which when it works is great, although a plugin system would be the best way to improve usability).

This is using a virgin download of all parts, YaBB, BoardMod and all the mods. Others that don't work please see screen shot.

I am certain that I must be doing something wrong, given that you are sure that all the mods work, so please accept my apologies.

Quote:
starting log...

script path: D:\work\downloads\YaBB\YaBB_2.2.3\YaBB_2.2.3\cgi-bin\yabb2\YaBB.pl

detected script: autodetect failed

selected script: YaBB 2.2

installed mods: 5

YaBB 2.2\Anti-Leech_for_YaBB2.2_v1.1.mod

YaBB 2.2\Display_Name_History_V2_1.mod

YaBB 2.2\quick_reply_box_v1_3_yabb22.mod

YaBB 2.2\WhoPosted_v1_1.mod

YaBB 2.2\Collapse_Expand_Thread_Icons_and_your_Pemission_V1_1.mod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now installing: BoardPassword v1.5 (BoardPass_Y22.mod)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 6 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

Step 8 ... failed - ERR(12): The line to search for is not complete. Maybe some spaces are missing in front of it.
Step 13 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

Step 27 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

Step 29 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

Step 31 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

Step 33 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

> modifications failed! 7 errors occured. No files will be modified. Please see readme for help on the error
messages.

Quote:
starting log...

now installing: Extended Profiles 2.3 (extended_profiles_v23.mod)

Step 20 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

> modifications failed! 1 errors occured. No files will be modified. Please see readme for help on the error
messages.

Quote:
starting log...

now installing: Ignore User Posts Quick-Quote Compatible 1.1
(Ignore_User_Posts_V1_1_quick_reply_quickquote-compatible.mod)

Step 5 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

Step 9 ... failed - ERR(1): Search string could not be found

Step 17 ... failed - ERR(12): The line to search for is not complete. Maybe some spaces are missing in front of it.

> modifications failed! 3 errors occured. No files will be modified. Please see readme for help on the error
messages.

IP Logged

Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Reply #52 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:46am
Post Tools
Hi pedrax,

Latest version of Reason for Editing is Reason for Editing V1.4.

Also mods for whatever the latest version of YaBB is, is announced on YaBBToolbar.com.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:49am by Outumuro »  

IP Logged

chillipepper

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #53 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 9:25am
Post Tools
Just got a quick question about this new ver 2.3 that will be comin out soon,I know yabb team will be addin a few modded features.but i was wonderin will any of the 2.2.3 mods thats out at mo will work with 2.3

IP Logged

Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Reply #54 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:00pm
Post Tools
Hi chillipepper,

chillipepper wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 9:25am:
Just got a quick question about this new ver 2.3 that will be comin out soon,I know yabb team will be addin a few modded features.but i was wonderin will any of the 2.2.3 mods thats out at mo will work with 2.3

It it possible.  But until Y2.3 is released and the Mod Squad over on BoardMod tests the Y2.2.3 mods on Y2.3 for compatibility... there is no way to know at this point.

Sorry there isn't a more specific answer.

IP Logged

Nidoking
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #55 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:39pm
Post Tools
I just recently installed YaBB 2.3. Are nested forums a feature yet? I haven't noticed...

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #56 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:41pm
Post Tools
Nidoking wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:39pm:
I just recently installed YaBB 2.3. Are nested forums a feature yet? I haven't noticed...

you never have install YaBB 2.3 but you have 2.2.3  Grin

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Nidoking
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #57 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:50pm
Post Tools
Jet Li wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:41pm:

you never have install YaBB 2.3 but you have 2.2.3  Grin

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry. Are nested boards a feature in 2.2.3? I also see Quick Reply didn't make it...  Cry

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

MrDale96

Reply #58 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 3:50pm
Post Tools
Nidoking wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:50pm:
Jet Li wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:41pm:

you never have install YaBB 2.3 but you have 2.2.3  Grin

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry. Are nested boards a feature in 2.2.3? I also see Quick Reply didn't make it...  Cry

This is because (and quote me if I'm wrong), this Thread is for features to be added to Yabb 2.3 not Yabb 2.2.3 which was just recently released. I think you're confused on the Release numbers.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:05am
Post Tools
Quote:
This is because (and quote me if I'm wrong), this Thread is for features to be added to Yabb 2.3 not Yabb 2.2.3 which was just recently released. I think you're confused on the Release numbers.

Correct !!  Upto now we have been focusing on Bug Fixes in the YaBB Code ... and a few enhancements have been added in the process.  Y2.2, Y2.2.1, Y2.2.2 and Y2.2.3
   YaBB 2.3 will be the stable YaBB Forum, with a Speed enhancement and the Popular MODs added as default code.  You will no longer have to upgrade and then install these popular (based on the voting) MODs using BoardMOD. they will be in the default code already, when you are able to download the Y2.3 Installation zip.  The Y2.3 Release is scheduled for early September.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top