Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) README !! 'Installations via cPanel' must know !! (Read 8,183 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: README !! 'Installations via cPanel' must know !!
Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2014 at 6:05pm
Post Tools
cPanel doesn't currently have the newest version of YaBB available for install. The newest stable version is 2.5.2. Let your host know that there is a very old version of YaBB in their cPanel and the problems you're having - I believe they can disable the warnings for you. In the event you want to update, you should be able to do so manually through file manager.

Edited:
Normally you should be able to find the YaBB install under cgi-bin/yabb2 - your host should be able to tell you where their system put it if it's not there.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2014 at 6:07pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Rod Schrivener
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2014 at 8:40am
Post Tools
I had at one time a YABB forum on my siste, which is hoisted by Web Hosting Buzz. It was installed via their cpanel. Recently, I have had notices to upgrade,however, the upgrade fails, and I am at a loss trying to find where all this forum stuff is in the site. I discontinued use o f the forum some time back, however, it will not uninstall through cPanel. Can someone give me an idea where the files are usually installed and how to get them removed. Thanks.......

Rod

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:53pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:34pm:
Trouble is convincing hosts, also try telling the end users who where forced to switch to mySQL forums.
Edit: I have seen YaBB in cpanel.

I've seen YaBB in Cpanel as well, even on Host Gator before that problem came up years ago and it as fixed.

MySQL forums are neither better or hack proof as YaBB is. I seen many MySQL forums hacked until rendered useless, and emails of the users compromised to spam bots.

Which forum one uses should be because of preference and not what you need to have on a server. I'm here on YaBB, phpBB and other forum community support forums and I have to say that this place has a better atmosphere and communications to its members. Also You can easily upgrade your mods when your forum upgrades. forum software like VBulletin and simple Machines wants you to submit your forum over to them for mods to be installed. What a load of crock that is!

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:34pm
Post Tools
Elfen wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:19pm:
I know that in past YaBB versions (Around 2.1)  there were problems that made it accidentally eat up system resources. But those have been long fixed.

Trouble is convincing hosts, also try telling the end users who where forced to switch to mySQL forums.
Edit: I have seen YaBB in cpanel.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:37pm by depablo »  

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:34pm
Post Tools
I will state my evidence:

Host Gator has never given me problems except for installing YaBB. Thus I decided to install YaBB myself and in doing so wrote the manual installation of YaBB on Cpanel that is some where in this forum.

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:19pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 9:31pm:
Elfen wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 8:59pm:
I see on their Cpanel system that YaBB is not there either.

Im sure the host has an option to tweak what is available to end users. Some see it as a resource hog others do not, I have seen it in the past but it installed into the root directory.

I know that in past YaBB versions (Around 2.1)  there were problems that made it accidentally eat up system resources. But those have been long fixed.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 9:31pm
Post Tools
Elfen wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 8:59pm:
I see on their Cpanel system that YaBB is not there either.

Im sure the host has an option to tweak what is available to end users. Some see it as a resource hog others do not, I have seen it in the past but it installed into the root directory.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 9:24pm
Post Tools
Knownhost has YaBB 2.3.1 as a cPanel software add-on. But frankly, it's probably easier to do it by hand using the standard defaults if you're on Knownhost, especially as you're going to want to upgrade for security and features. (I had my first two YaBB installs up and running before I even realized cPanel had it as an add on.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 8:59pm
Post Tools
Thread Necromacy!

I agree with the former member, and have to say that my site is on Host Gator and I have never seen YaBB as a forum cPanel install on their system and wrote up how to manually do it. phpBB and Simple Machines are the two options for forum on HostGator's system, and not YaBB.

Working on somebody else's site hosted by Godaddy, I see on their Cpanel system that YaBB is not there either.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:27pm
Post Tools
Hi Dan ... Glad to see you guys visit this site every now and then ...  Agree with what you state ... EXCEPT  Wink  A lot of Hosts do not nor make available upgrades, probably due to the fact that Cpanel does not make available every version update we release with a New cPAddon.
 This board is exactly why it exists and the problems are users run into when trying to manually upgrade an existing cPanel cPAddon install.
  I once (a couple years ago) requested info on how a cPAddon installed YaBB ... No reply.  Still don't know, but at least over this time, we have learned the install file structure (small accomplishment).  We still don't know why manually installing, replacing existing files, doesn't work.  Usually causing 403 errors.
 We have found (by trial and error) that not overwriting thml files, but uploading the yabbfiles html folder directly into the main installation folder allows it to upgrade, with our path settings modified on some servers.
  The above and the posts (in such a new support board for us) verifies the problems users have in updating/upgrading and we try to help.

Edited:
Manual installs done on your cPanel account are not 'Installations via cPanel'  No, their Manual Installs (upgrades) "of" Installations via cPanel
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:44pm by »  

IP Logged

Dan Muey
YaBB Friends

README !! 'Installations via cPanel' must know !!
Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:02pm
Post Tools
Hello,

My name is Dan and I am the cPanel developer that works with YaBB on the cPanel based installer.

I hope to clear up some confusion that I see a lot in this area of the forum.

cPanel installs YaBB for you via a "cPAddon". A "cPAddon" is a way to package up a given website script so as to facilitate 1 click install/update/uninstall and otherwise manage all instances of the given script via the cPanel interface.

With that in mind here are some points to remember:

a) No manual steps should be necessary after 'Installations via cPanel' (and upgrades as well).

running Setup.pl, chmod'ing, etc should not be necessary.
    If you find they are then please let me know (tickets.cpanel.net subject 'ATTN: Dan YaBB install/upgrade') so we can adjust the YaBB cPAddon to look for and handle said situation.

b) Upgrades and uninstalls of 'Installations via cPanel' should be done via cPanel not manually

If they are done manually then you are unable to manage them via cPanel and the data presented in cPanel about your installation will likely be incorrect (E.g. it may say its 2.2.3 but you've manually updated it to 2.3)

If you have trouble upgrading then the installation has been manually changed. A starting point is to look at the 'failed patch' output and see if its an issue caused by manual changes or if it's a problem you wouldn't mind 'forcing' to be applied as per the 'Do you want to force this update' dialog.

c) Manual installs done on your cPanel account are not 'Installations via cPanel'

As such, issues would not belong in the 'Installations via cPanel' section of the forum

Edited:
This is the correct board to request help and info on upgrading an Installation of YaBB via cPanel, when your Host does not supply a cPanel cPAddon upgrade or does not provide a cPanel cPAddon to install a YaBB Forum One Button Install.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2008 at 4:28pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top