Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Greetings... (Read 6,407 times)
Zoro

Greetings...
Jan 26th, 2009 at 5:28am
Post Tools
Dear friends,

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all the developers who have devoted their time and expertise to make this superb community software.

As this is my first message on this forum, I'd like to share some of my initial thoughts regarding this website and project while they are fresh in my mind.  After several months of research to find a forum software which is loaded with features and has higher security than others, I've finally selected this YaBB 2.3.1 software.

Throughout my research, I came across some issues which I believe need to be addressed to make it easier for others in similar situations.  Please remember that this is the perspective of someone completely new to this website and forum, with the objective of helping the developers help others in the future.  

Here are some of my notes...

• Upon entering the website, I found the information nicely organized (what is YaBB!, features, etc.), downloaded and installed according to the superbly written instructions.  Perfect installation!
  • I returned to this website and proceeded to the "Community Forums" to search the forums for modifications and other features.  To a new user of this website, searching the forum did not produce any results.  Only after using the advanced search options was I able to find some results.  I realize this is done to minimize server and forum load times, however, several initial searches proved to be potentially frustrating.
  • The search results page shows the messages differently from the original message.  For example, if someone typed a message in "Times Roman" font, the search results show it with "Verdana".  While this may appear to be a subtle problem, it can be significant to someone who may post in various languages, fonts, and character codes.  It should display the original user's choice of font and writing.
  • There were times when the software would state error messages such as when merely looking at a person's profile prior to registering, "An Error Has Occurred!... Error: Sorry, this service is for registered members only!".  This is not an "Error", it should rather state, "Registration Required - This feature is available to registered users."  Error messages should be considered "404" and "500" system level messages.
  • Changing the default page margins of the forum's template to match the "0" page margins of the Administration menu proved difficult to do.
  • As the administrator and wanting to change the new message box font style, changing the default "Verdana" font to "Times Roman" proved to be very difficult.  Again, this may seem subtle and simple to developers, it was difficult to resolve.
  • After viewing many forum messages here, users were reminded of the YaBB Codex section.  I personally did not notice the codex logo with link on the main forum header.  That link should be more prominent as there is many helpful instructions available within the Codex.  Additionally, that area would be the perfect place for more How-To's, for example, "How to change the default font in the new message box".
There are other topics, however, I will post those in other sections of these forums.  These were some of the issues which I went through and hope that this information will be helpful to everyone here.

Thank you again for making an excellent forum software.

Kind regards,

Zoro
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2009 at 5:56am by Zoro »  

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression...” — United Nations declaration
The great and glorious masterpiece of man is to know how to live to purpose.” — Michel de Montaigne
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” — Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Greetings...
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 5:16pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the goodo's for our software ...

The Wiki definition of Error
Quote:
The word error has different meanings and usages relative to how it is conceptually applied. The concrete meaning of the Latin word error means "wandering" or "straying".

a Permission Error is still an error ...

The Codex ..
   Besides the Logo ..
On the Top of every board within the YaBB community Forum, in the "Important Topics"
YaBB Support, Help, Info, Documentation & FAQs which directs users to the YaBB Codex.

Within the English Support Category, in the description of evey board
Please check the YaBB Codex before posting.
  Where the YaBB Codex wording is clickable.

As for the fonts within the Search .. we feel this is a preview ... and viewing in different fonts (as the user posted) would be distracting to read ... in that format.  Simply clicking on any of the preview posts would take the user to the original post, user fonts and attributes shown as entered.

I hope you enjoy the YaBB software and if needed the Community and Codex forums.

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:20pm
Post Tools
Thanks for choosing YaBB.

I am posting a "bug report" (although it's not really a bug) in the YaBB 2 development section to reference some of your suggestions and frustrations.  I'm sure the developers can come up with some solutions for you in future versions.  See http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1233087696/0.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:23pm by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

Zoro

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 5:35am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:20pm:
Thanks for choosing YaBB.

I am posting a "bug report" (although it's not really a bug) in the YaBB 2 development section to reference some of your suggestions and frustrations.  I'm sure the developers can come up with some solutions for you in future versions.  See http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1233087696/0.

Quote:
a Permission Error is still an error ...

Captain John... yes, you are correct, as developers we realize that a Permission Error is still an error.  However, the negative connotation of the word "error" should be avoided at all costs, especially when shown to forum users.  Instead of "An Error Has Occurred - This feature is for registered users only.", it should read, "System Information - Registration is required to view this feature, click here to register."  For marketing purposes, YaBB and the word "Error" shouldn't be mixed.  It was not a good feeling when I came across this startling message during my first visit to the Community Forums.  I believe first-time impressions are very important and we can all learn something from those experiences.  Thus, I'm sharing my own experience to help this project.

Thank you both very much, I appreciate your help.  I look forward to sharing more perspectives and learning from this dedicated team to make this forum software even better, since it has enormous potential for websites and the open source community.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression...” — United Nations declaration
The great and glorious masterpiece of man is to know how to live to purpose.” — Michel de Montaigne
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” — Albert Einstein

IP Logged

pathill
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 2:56pm
Post Tools
I would like to thanks Yabb as well for the easy to install forum software. I have not seen anything like it before. So, a big thanks from us.

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2009 at 10:46pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

RJayson
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 5:56am
Post Tools
An easy to use application, A wealth of proper documentation and a great technical support for the customers is what makes an application tick these days. I was also a bit sceptical about the offers and promises made by the application but when I downloaded it and started using it on my trail server, I felt that this is one of the best ever.
I wish the phpBB are taking a note of this and would be considering an upgrade lol
Oh yes, can I use it on my commerical website?

------
RJayson

removed spam link
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2009 at 4:59pm by »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
Absolutely ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools