Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
 10 Yabb 3 Release Date (Read 13,169 times)
chillipepper

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Yabb 3 Release Date
Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 6:59pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:14pm:
Right now the roadmap has changed a bit.  The team has decided to drop the OOP Perl code that was started from scratch for YaBB 3.  We are currently working on implementing new features like database support and sub boards on YaBB 2 code.  Some of these features may become part of a YaBB 2 release before branding it as YaBB 3 but that is yet to be determined. 

Sound good to me  Wink I guess we are talkin about addin theses into 2.6. any beta done yet so we can do some testing etc etc..

With the db and subboards which is standard in most forums software would turn yabb into an top 2-3 software and proby would be the no 1 in free bb software.

am not sure what others think about yabb over last 2 years but since i joinup here i heard all talk about Y3 and nothin as as much turn up as even a beta,very dissapointing  Cry also in 14 months in the waitin for next upgrade from 2.4 to 2.5AE well again dissapointing  Cry now we are in the waitin for 2.6 which sounds like yabb could be addin the rigth stuft into it..will there be a beta out soon ? when ?
Also i might like to add also since 2.5AE came out..yabb seems to have low members comin on this forum and also boardmod is dead.no new mods and very little upgrades of mods..

Yabb is an great bit of software and am sure if 2.6 comes out with the right bits in it then am sure admins might even convert there db over to yabb plus more coders might join up to add there skill/mods

IP Logged

sleepy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:19pm
Post Tools
Interesting you say that as once database support is added, it will keep the mob that I host on happy

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:14pm
Post Tools
Right now the roadmap has changed a bit.  The team has decided to drop the OOP Perl code that was started from scratch for YaBB 3.  We are currently working on implementing new features like database support and sub boards on YaBB 2 code.  Some of these features may become part of a YaBB 2 release before branding it as YaBB 3 but that is yet to be determined.

IP Logged

sleepy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:00pm
Post Tools
G'day Folks. August is looming, end of the year is not that far away now. Any updates on when the release would be?

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 6:12am
Post Tools

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

sleepy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 2:24pm
Post Tools
Is the public beta available yet, the roadmap lists Jan 1st
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2010 at 2:24pm by sleepy »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #12 - May 17th, 2009 at 1:51am
Post Tools
Great!

I'm all juiced up and raring to GO!

* JonB goes off to build a W2k8/IIS7 server for testing

Hehehehehe
Cool

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #11 - May 16th, 2009 at 2:59pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 9:13pm:
JonB is hoping there will be a converter to MySQL for existing forums

Its already in progress. convert back to Flat File is possible too.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2009 at 3:00pm by Jet Li »  

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2009 at 2:13pm
Post Tools
Hi sankiey,

This is the latest info on a timeframe for Y3:

Corey Chapman wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 2:05pm:
4)  In the meantime (starting now), YaBB 3 development will commence in a separate/new development branch, starting with YaBB 2.4 code.  No work being developed for the first YaBB 3 release will be released in any YaBB 2 maintenance release's code.  YaBB 3 will be prepared for beta mode by January 1, 2010 with a first release shortly after.

You can read the entire YaBB 3 and Development Road Map announcement here.  Hope that helps.

JonB wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 9:13pm:
JonB is hoping there will be a converter to MySQL for existing forums (I'm sure there will be BUT feel the need to get it out of my mouth)

I completely agree.  I'm sure there will be a converter too.  Having an updated YaBB Universal Converter would be an additional key to Y3's success.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - May 15th, 2009 at 9:13pm
Post Tools
JonB is hoping there will be a converter to MySQL for existing forums (I'm sure there will be BUT feel the need to get it out of my mouth)

I have had just about no problems with YaBB's data, and the flatfile system.  On the other hand, its about impossible to make YaBB work with anything else due to it...

Smiley

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 3:31am
Post Tools
Actually, Outumuro, YaBB 2.4 isn't nearly as good of an example to look at as, say YaBB 2.0 was. 2.4 was still a fairly minor update (not to belittle some of the great things Deti and the others coded from 2.3.1 to 2.4), so most mod steps still worked as written. Just a few had to be recoded to make the 2.3.1 versions work on 2.4. And many of the more intricate 2.3.1 mods still haven't made it to 2.4.

Mods for 3.0 are almost certain to need far more recoding to make it from 2.x to 3.0. And the more recoding needed, the longer it is going to take for the mods to make it over. There were still far more mods for 1.2 / 1.3 that to this day still haven't ever made it to the 2.x series than that have. And some of the really great ones of that time either only recently made it over, or still haven't.

So I predict that, just like with the 2.x series, it will take quite a while for 3.0 to really start catching up, as far as the mods go.

Which is still no reason not to look forward to 3.0. But understand, for many production boards, it will be a while before people are ready to make the switch, even once 3.0 is released.

IP Logged

Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 8:00am
Post Tools
I wish I could sankiey, just there isn't a projected month or quarter to mention.

About mods for Y3, take a look at Y2.  Several former Y1.x and Y2.x mods are now built into Y2.4.  Within days of Y2.4 being released, there were already 31 mods and 7 templates available for Y2.4.

New Y2.4 Templates Released
31 New Mods For YaBB 2.4

Y3 will likely have a similar release... mods and templates within days.  Maybe not every mod, but the BoardMod team catches up pretty quickly on the most popular.  Of course its open to anyone that wants to try their hand at modding and templating. Smiley

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
Actually, I'm not trying to be the negative voice ... just trying to counter the comment that almost all have problems with the flat file system. I'd be surprised if even 25% have problems because of the flat file system.

But it will be nice when YaBB can support several methods of handling this.

IP Logged

MrDale96

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 6:03am
Post Tools
batchman wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:05am:
Actually, personally, I am not looking forward to YaBB 3 ... having to wait for all the cool mods which I want for a board to make it over ... its going to take a lot of time.

And I doubt very much that almost all users have problems and unhappiness because of the flat file system ... since many of us are doing perfectly fine with things as they are now.

That said, I still wish them good luck on pulling the entire system together. It will probably only go live on my forums a year after release, but there will surely be some very cool new features!

Who knows... a lot of those most popular mods might make their way onto Yabb 3. Slowly, a lot of mods have been making their way into Yabb, especially the last few updates.

Just trying to be the optimistic voice Grin

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:05am
Post Tools
Actually, personally, I am not looking forward to YaBB 3 ... having to wait for all the cool mods which I want for a board to make it over ... its going to take a lot of time.

And I doubt very much that almost all users have problems and unhappiness because of the flat file system ... since many of us are doing perfectly fine with things as they are now.

That said, I still wish them good luck on pulling the entire system together. It will probably only go live on my forums a year after release, but there will surely be some very cool new features!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top