Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Download PM (Read 2,577 times)
cepheid

Re: Download PM
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 5:24am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Jun 3rd, 2009 at 5:18am:
PDF can also be done server-side too, which saves a step for the end-user.

True, but we don't have to do everything for them, right? Wink Just kidding. Smiley

With regards to the rich format, I'd suggest focusing only on PDF, since it's cross-platform and an open standard.  Word is proprietary and not universal, and if you're making it non-editable anyway, then there's no reason to use Word over PDF as far as I can see.

Corey Chapman wrote on Jun 3rd, 2009 at 5:18am:
I've also thought about a CVS and XML format, but I'm not sure if they would have much use.

For threads, they may have no use, but for PMs, they could, especially if someone wants to write an "archived PM reader" (I've thought of doing that before).  Besides, given that everything is already stored in a tabular format, it would be trivial to implement.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2009 at 5:26am by cepheid »  
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 5:18am
Post Tools
PDF can also be done server-side too, which saves a step for the end-user.  A plain text file loses all graphics, formatting, links, etc.  In both a PDF and Word Doc, these can be preserved, and they can be setup to be secured so they are not editable.  I've also thought about a CVS and XML format, but I'm not sure if they would have much use.

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 4:53am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Jun 3rd, 2009 at 4:10am:
a PDF, Word Doc, or Text file along with the Print Page option we already have.

I think text or printable would actually be sufficient; Word is getting complicated and PDF can be handled by the client (print to PDF).  The Print dialog already offers the option of PDF, since one can simply print to PDF.  So, you really only need to worry about downloading to text, and this can be accomplished by adapting the Print button to return a text file rather than an HTML-formatted file.

However, I think for maximum usefulness, the text file should allow multiple formats: plaintext (per above - simply a reformatted Printer-ready page using text rather than HTML), CSV (for importing into Excel, Access, or any other database program), or XML (for same, or whatever else).  Since PMs and threads are already stored in a tabulated format, this should be relatively easy to do.

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 4:10am
Post Tools
I've mentioned this in the past.  I think it would be useful (based on admin settings) to have the option to download not only PMs but also topics/posts to a PDF, Word Doc, or Text file along with the Print Page option we already have.

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Post Tools
For archive purposes, if nothing else... some admins set a limit on the number of PMs that can be stored, so being able to download as a text file (.txt, .csv, or .xml) could be useful for archival.

IP Logged

AntonioK

Reply #1 - May 26th, 2009 at 12:50pm
Post Tools
For what do you want it?

If you're interested on History... If you have some sense of humour... The Historian of Female.
IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Download PM
Apr 29th, 2009 at 10:01pm
Post Tools
How about a way to download PMs in a txt file?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top