Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Disable user's ability to delete themself (Read 11,672 times)
cepheid

Re: Disable user's ability to delete themself
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 4:40am
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on Jun 15th, 2009 at 3:57am:
Enabling this option can put your forum in violation of US Telecommunications law or state laws regarding retention of private information.Two large firms in the US had their sites shut down just in the past month for not allowing internet users to delete information they placed on their websites (by submitting information required to sign up).

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice, but:
I don't think this is of any concern from a legal standpoint.  Even if a user may not delete himself/herself, s/he can still remove all private information.  The only private information required for sign-up is an email address, and that can easily be changed to any random address (real or not).  Any other required info is private only if the admin has enabled Extended Profiles, and even then that info can be replaced with fake info.  Since none of the user info is retained except in backups (whence the user's self-deletion wouldn't matter anyway), the user has the ability to remove all private info even if s/he can't delete his/her account entirely.

I'm not a lawyer so I could always be wrong, but I think that being able to remove or fake all private info fully satisfies these restrictions, which don't state that a user must be able to delete an entire account, but only private info.

Repeated disclaimer: I'm not a laywer. Smiley

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 3:57am
Post Tools
Warning for users in the US:  Consult an attorney before you enable this feature.  Enabling this option can put your forum in violation of US Telecommunications law or state laws regarding retention of private information.  Two large firms in the US had their sites shut down just in the past month for not allowing internet users to delete information they placed on their websites (by submitting information required to sign up).

One upset user and $65 gets a court order blocking your entire domain (all of them) until it gets resolved in court (months).

IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 12:03am
Post Tools
Added checkbox to dis/enable users from deleting them self.

New files in SVN.

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

AntonioK

Disable user's ability to delete themself
May 8th, 2009 at 5:06pm
Post Tools
On the big forums admins fight with the user's clons. But YaBB allows users to delete themself in the profile. So, when bad-bad some user needs to "start from the beginning again", he just delete his profile. It is horrible!

Needed the enable/disable user self-deletion checkbox in admin center. It is 10 minutes of work. On my forum, I just killed this button in code.

If you're interested on History... If you have some sense of humour... The Historian of Female.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top