YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Pages: 1 2 
Topic Tools

Disable user's ability to delete themself (Read 10,521 times)
 Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 3:30pm
There are no actions to perform.  

tonyvic 
Sussex, UK

YaBB 2.5
Re: Disable user's ability to delete themself
It's over on Boardmod http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1224265915
I added it to my 2.4 & it works fine, although you should read down that thread for that as it is written for 2.3

Tony

IP Logged  
 Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 1:58am

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
Hi Zach -

This is more about the user data (profile info) more than the content aspect, if I understand the topic as it stands.

From a completely personal point of view, I agree that the ex-member 'look' is a negative on any forum.  I also feel that properly worded disclaimers/T.O.S. and so forth only can help so much.  

Content/post-wise - I'm very much against revisionist history, but I also know people make truly injudicious posts, so I have a moderate approach on the time limit so people can fix their own stupidity before it becomes a flame war.

In the end you (the admin) are best served by taking down the content if formally requested. I never cease to be amazed how effective take-down requests can be from half the world away.  I think most just don't want to have a go-round with their host or their host's provisioners.  Of course there are also abuse desks that just ignore the mail flood.

I think this also goes to another 'request/discussion' topic - inactive members.  'Inactivate User' (no deletions occur, but the account and its content is in limbo until admin or GM re-activate) - maybe we could use such a control.  I have had people ask me how to do things like this for unruly users, it would also work for those on extended absence. It would/could also circumvent injudicious deletions.  

just my 2˘ worth.

Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

IP Logged  
 Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 1:48pm

Corey Chapman 
YaBB Administrator
Rock Hill, South Carolina

YaBB 2.5
I see the reason for allowing and for disallowing.  

I like your thought of the "Inactive User" status showing under their name though.  Perhaps in the posts they did make, the username could not show and just "Inactive User" instead?  Maybe the name could still show, I'm not sure. Either way, it would no longer be linked to their profile for viewing (accept maybe for an admin for investigation and reactivation purposes).

The only concern there is the post content.  Do you make the body of posts invisible to the public (blank)?  Or do you rely on the moderator to delete the offending information the user wishes to no longer be affiliated with?

More often than not, a user will delete himself for 3 reasons:  registered on the wrong forum, wishes to post something offending and then get out, has something against the forum or a member and no longer wishes to be affiliated.

IP Logged  
 Reply #18 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 5:36pm
Captain John 
Ex Member

None
 I like this ... instead of ex-member (which states it correctly, but most admins' hate the expression) "Inactive" covers the situation.
 We have had admins even request a method to remove all posts associated with the user, if he/she deletes; personally I think this is going overboard (probably doing this just gets rid of ex-member being shown), since if the member had posted any good number of posts before leaving, they (the messages) must have been suitable for the forum or should have been dealt with when posted.
  The above, deleting messages of an ex-member, has nothing to do with a spammer.
  Also  .. the idea of disabling access to the ex-member's (Inactive) profile, would/should be a good idea (if admin/gmod still allowed to).

IP Logged  
Pages: 1 2 
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.