Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
 10 Disable user's ability to change display-name (Read 13,145 times)
cepheid

Re: Disable user's ability to change display-name
Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 9:14pm
Post Tools
deti wrote on Jun 15th, 2009 at 3:06pm:
the input field is set to "readonly"

Does that mean that it is "greyed out" so a user can't change it, or does it mean a user can change it but the changes are ignored?  The former is OK, the latter is confusing.  If the field is readonly, there needs to be an indication of that to the user.  Personally, I wouldn't even make it an input field, but just plain text, if changes are not allowed.

OH Eng wrote on Jun 15th, 2009 at 5:02pm:
Forcing a user to keep the same name or not doesn't impact basic forum operation, so why make it part of the core program?

On the one hand, I agree that lots and lots of settings can be confusing and overwhelming.  On the other, BoardMod is not all that simple to use, either.  Having these options in the core code isn't necessarily bad if (a) the default options are good for most people [which they are], and (b) the preferences are properly organized and paginated so there isn't one giant page of them [which they are].

While we want the forum to be easy to use, that doesn't mean functionality has to be restricted... we also want the forum to be powerful.  BoardMod isn't for the faint of heart - as easy as it is to use, it's still not that easy and there are complications that can arise.  Moreover, users have to actively look for mods that do what they want; those mods can be hard to find because the BoardMod list is hard to read through, not all mods include screenshots, etc.  And, mods vary widely in the quality of their code - some are coded really, really well by expert coders, while others are hacked together quickly and sloppily.  Putting these features into the core code ensures that they are coded well and optimized to work with the rest of the code.

If a feature is genuinely useful and has the potential to be used by a large portion of the population, it should IMHO be included in the code.  Mods should be used for features which only a select subset of people want, or which someone other than the developers creates.

To be honest, MOST of YaBB could be implemented as mods, including the security features, many admin and moderator features, extended profiles (which used to be a mod!), the rich editing features, etc.  The actual core functionality is maybe 25-50% of the code and the rest could all be done with mods... but making a user have to find and then install every mod which provides an inling of extra functionality is not all that user-friendly.

As a coder, I understand wanting to keep the code lean and making as much functionality in plugins/mods.  As a user, I want that functionality built-in so that all I have to do is check a few boxes, not mess with a lot of plugins.

IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 9:13pm
Post Tools
@ OH Eng

Because I think this little things are quite helpful in some cases. I also think that the problem of filling up the AdminCenter with checkboxes is not the main problem, I think mostly the real problem is that many choices are not explained long enough or not good enough, so that you don't really understand by the first read what it is for. For the things I add I try my best to write things so that they can (hopefully) be understood immediately.

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 5:02pm
Post Tools
A user could just as easily add this ability as a mod if they wanted it.  Why is it necessary to keep adding more and more and more of these "options" to the basic forum code?

At what point do you consider the new user, new to forums, who doesn't understand a lick of what these things do, yet has to go over page after page after page of settings, not knowing at the time if they are important or non-important?

Forcing a user to keep the same name or not doesn't impact basic forum operation, so why make it part of the core program?

IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 3:06pm
Post Tools
Add in "Forum Settings" - "Members" a checkbox:
Quote:
If checked users can not change their Displayed Name in the Profile
Admin can always modify it.

In case it is checked, the input field is set to "readonly" and all changes on the displayname will be ignored when saving the page.

Was immer Du tun kannst
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

cepheid

Re: Disable user ability to change display name
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 6:23am
Post Tools
Quote:
I don't think I am alone in saying that as an Admin I have no problem with members changing their display name.

That's why this would be a selectable feature, and the default could (and should) be for it to be enabled.  That way, everyone gets represented: those who have no problems, and those who do.  I don't think I'm alone in saying that some Admins would like this feature. Smiley

Jet Li's mod doesn't conflict with this feature, and there's no reason why having one somehow precludes having the other... we could certainly have both (and the history idea is good for those who do wish to allow name changes).  No reason why we can't satisfy both needs...

IP Logged

Derek
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 4:50am
Post Tools
I don't think I am alone in saying that as an Admin I have no problem with members changing their display name. 

As such, my preference on this would be to make Jet Li's Display Name History Mod a standard feature.  See the mod here http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1240071108

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:09pm
Post Tools
deti wrote on Jun 4th, 2009 at 8:56pm:
Good idea!!!

What can I say, I'm full of them! Wink

You'd have to edit Profile.pl as well, so that when a user goes to edit his profile, the Display Name is shown but not editable... and you also need to ensure that when updating the profile, updates to the display name are ignored unless the setting is enabled or the user is an admin (to prevent someone from bypassing this setting by manually changing the POST fields).

(I prefer showing the user the Display Name even if not editable, rather than hiding it entirely, so that they know what it is and can ask an admin to change it if needed.)
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:11pm by cepheid »  
IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 8:56pm
Post Tools
Good idea!!!

Was immer Du tun kannst
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

cepheid

Disable user ability to change display name
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 6:30am
Post Tools
Since a user's display name is their "online identity," some admins might want to prevent users from changing their display name at will.  Right now, there's no way to do this...

So, it would be good if a preference could be added:
Allow users to change Display Name after registration?

By default, this would be on, but an admin could disable it, thus allowing only the admin to change display names.

IP Logged

AntonioK

Disable user's ability to change display-name
May 8th, 2009 at 5:12pm
Post Tools
In some situations it is necessary to disable users to rename themself.

I ask for "disable users to change displayname - only admin can do that" checkbox in Admin center.

If you're interested on History... If you have some sense of humour... The Historian of Female.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top