Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Ability to merge users (Read 2,082 times)
cepheid

Re: Ability to merge users
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:23am
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:51am:
You should consider how often the merge functionality would be used when determining how to find all the posts.

Very true, I suspect it will be used quite rarely, so we can make it processor-intensive... but I want to leverage existing functionality if at all possible, so if .rlog stores everything, that is the best way to go about it.  But, it doesn't seem to, so I'll probably have to search every thread.

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:51am
Post Tools
I can't remember exactly what is in rlog. Most of the code I've seen lately was the old Y3 code and stuff at work, so I haven't gotten my memory refreshed recently Smiley

You should consider how often the merge functionality would be used when determining how to find all the posts.

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:16am
Post Tools
I'm thinking of how to implement this, so let me ask: does a member's .rlog file keep track of every post the member has ever made?  Or does it only go back a certain ways?  I'm trying to avoid having to search every thread...

It looks like it only keeps track of a certain number, not all.  Is that determined by the Admin Center preference of "maximum number of recent posts" ?

IP Logged

MrDale96

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 7:38pm
Post Tools
YES!

I think I had actually requested this as a Mod. I was toying with a vbulletin 24 hour demo, just checking out their features, seeing what was useful and useless to get ideas for mod requests and this was one of those useful one's, especially for someone like me that has been interested in eventually merging 3 boards I have into 1, this would help out getting around the multiple same users issue
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2009 at 7:48pm by Jet Li »  
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

AntonioK

Reply #1 - May 18th, 2009 at 1:57pm
Post Tools
It would be useful, I also ask for it. Sometimes I have to delete multi-accounts on my forums.

If you're interested on History... If you have some sense of humour... The Historian of Female.
IP Logged

cepheid

Ability to merge users
May 15th, 2009 at 11:32pm
Post Tools
Right now, there is no way to merge two user accounts; this would be an invaluable feature.  Sometimes a user will forget his/her password and open a new account rather than using the "forgot password" link.  Since most board managers don't like multiple accounts per person, it would be nice if an admin could merge user accounts when this was noticed.

Right now, there is no way to merge accounts... all posts made by account 2 have to be manually edited to reflect account 1, and it's a huge pain to do without errors.

Being able to do this in an automated fashion would be awesome.  (Select 2 users, the "to" and the "from," and click Merge... all posts from user 2 would be changed to be from user 1, the PM boxes would be merged, post history recounted and rebuilt, etc.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top