Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Add "On post, notify by default" pref to Options (Read 1,857 times)
cepheid

Re: Add "On post, notify by default" pref to Options
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 8:50pm
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 7:58pm:
Why not add to this a limit, set by the Admin in the Admin Center.. max of X number of notifications per user?

That is a good idea, and one I support.  If unset, unlimited notifications... if set, maximum of X notifications per user.  If the user attempts to set more than X, s/he receives a notification that the oldest notification will be dropped.

OH Eng wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 7:58pm:
Anyone who needs a notification for every topic is too lazy

Not all of us have a lot of time to spend per day on the forum, even if it's looking for the "new" button and clicking on that.  Being notified of specific topics that I'm following is the only way I can keep up with these topics in a timely fashion.  I simply don't have time to come and pore over ALL the threads ALL the time.

Note that notifications don't have to mean "send me an email," it just means Notifications... that way when someone comes to the board, they can look at their list of Notifications to follow important topics.  The email is a separate issue over which the admin already has control.

LoneWebSurfer wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 8:47pm:
while I know users would be able to turn it off.

This could easily be defaulted to OFF so only those users who know about the feature and want it would enable it.  It would work exactly the same way as it does now - users who want notification check the box - except that it makes it more convenient for users because they check one box one time, instead of every time they post in a new thread.

Again, this would default to OFF (so users would not be barraged by notifications they don't want) and it's still controllable by the Admin (who can turn notifications off in any case).
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2009 at 8:52pm by cepheid »  
IP Logged

LoneWebSurfer
Past Team Members

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 8:47pm
Post Tools
I'm with OH on this one.. I would not want this on a forum.. I can see a potential for a issue with amount of emails being sent getting a forum on a black list... or potential server load.. how much would it increase if you had say 800 members getting notifications for every post they made... over time.. I'm sure it would really add up..  while I know users would be able to turn it off.. I think everyone would once they had posts in alot of threads.. it would be annoying having 50.. 60..100 notifications a day...

Closed all my sites due to lack of Internet access
IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 7:58pm
Post Tools
Once again you must take into consideration Admins who have server limits.  What's the point of installing YaBB if your users can cripple it?

So you make it possible for users to auto-elect a notification for EVERY topic... how then, should an Admin swamped by this, correct it?  Do we advise him to turn Maintenance Mode on until such time as he can go through the whole user list of profiles and weed out enough notifications to get back under limits?  Or do we advise him to turn them off completely as his only recourse?

Why not add to this a limit, set by the Admin in the Admin Center.. max of X number of notifications per user?  Then you give the Admin at least some control over staying within the limits of the server they are paying for without having to turn them off completely.

Far as I'm concerned, a notification ought to be about something important, not every single topic.  Anyone who needs a notification for every topic is too lazy, and they need to just go there and read instead of hogging resources and jeopardizing someone's host account status.

IP Logged

MrDale96

Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 7:35pm
Post Tools
I'm all for it. I'm all for individual options in general Smiley

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

cepheid

Add "On post, notify by default" pref to Options
May 18th, 2009 at 6:41pm
Post Tools
Right now, if I post a reply in a topic or create a new topic, I have to manually enable notification for that topic.  This is a pain because I often forget to check the box.  It would be nice if users could have an option to have the notification box automatically checked by default.

The easiest way to do this is within Options, adding a preference checkbox: "When posting in a topic, enable notification by default."  When checked, the "Notify of replies" checkbox is checked by default for all Quick Reply boxes and in the full edit mode.

(This should actually be relatively simple to add to the code: if the feature is called 'notify_by_default' then, in Posts.pl, add at line 242: if (${$uid.$user}{'notify_by_default'}) {$notify    = qq~ checked="checked"~;})

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top