Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Admin: delete all posts by user (Read 6,497 times)
cepheid

Admin: delete all posts by user
May 20th, 2009 at 5:18am
Post Tools
This is another request for combating spam: it would be great if we could easily delete all posts made by a specific user.  Specifically, this should also be an option when deleting a user, e.g. a checkbox on the "View/Delete Members" page similar to the "email deleted members" checkbox but titled "remove all posts by deleted members" ... all posts by deleted users would then be erased automatically when the user is deleted.

This would make it much easier to remove spam posts after an attack; currently, I have to go through and remove them one by one.

IP Logged

Carsten
Ex Member

Re: Admin: delete all posts by user
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2009 at 10:01pm
Post Tools
This has been discussed earlier. One reason for not implementing such a feature was that replies (from other users) to deleted posts might seem totally pointless.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2009 at 10:01pm by »  

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2009 at 10:03pm
Post Tools
I understand, but when a spambot posts 200 messages and I have to delete each one manually, it takes forever.  I think the risk is worth the reward...

I guess if my other suggestion were implemented, though, it would be easier to delete the messages since I could do it from the search results screen...

IP Logged

Tanner
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 2:43pm
Post Tools
Where I would like to see a delete ALL by user is in the "View user's profile" > "Last X messages by user." I think ideally looking at the list of Last Messages there should be a check box for each message and a Delete All Checked button at the bottom.

Currently there seems to be a check box to nowhere that I'm not intuitively finding the utility for.

For spammers, I personally DON'T delete the user, I keep him in the logs as BANNED along with their Email address banned in an effort to work them more and harder to spam the board again. Therefore a function as described in this thread would have minimum utility for my methodology.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 3:40pm
Post Tools
Tanner wrote on Aug 4th, 2012 at 2:43pm:
Where I would like to see a delete ALL by user is in the "View user's profile" > "Last X messages by user." ...

Your thinking makes sense to me, and in the way that I operate our forum, this would be a great feature.

The only negative that I see is that as Carsten pointed out in reply #1 of this topic, "implementing such a feature was that replies (from other users) to deleted posts might seem totally pointless."

Also, as I've read from others, admins have a tendency not to want members to be able to delete their own posts, which is why you'll see a lot of forums that have a time limit for deletions.

This forum does the same thing; it restricts the ability of members to modify or delete their own posts.

I personally allow full access in our forum because I don't feel it's right for me to deny members the ability to manage their own posts, i.e., to manage what they say versus me as an admin being draconian about it.

By the way, if members could easily delete all their posts with a one-click solution, I think that would be great for those who choose to do this, maybe because they want to leave that forum altogether.

Spammers are in a different category.  Wink

However, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority about allowing members full access to their own posts. I'd like to correct mistakes I've made, for instance. Then again, as I think Corey reminded me, a post that needed to be edited, or deleted could be referred to in a new post, and that could be a better way to manage what a member wants or needs to do.

Bottom line: Good or bad, right or wrong, admins who operate private forums should have as many tools to administer their forum as can be made available to them.

If an admin is too draconian in their forum, no problem; self-policing will occur because there will be less participation as people stay away.

One forum was so restrictive that it had only one member; the administrator.  Wink

But then, that was the point of it; to poke fun at what a forum could look like with too many restrictions. Cleverly humorous.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 8:15pm
Post Tools
These are all good posts but I'm not sure why people are bringing up the ability for users to delete their own posts.  The topic of this thread was for the Admin to be able to delete posts wholesale, not for users to be able to do so.

IP Logged

Tanner
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 12:56pm
Post Tools
Well, since I'm the one who put the wood back on this old fire let me first say the admin's help with deletion from the user's profile IS there. Once again I have pulled a stupid, need glasses, and as my ex wife used to say, "Can't find my tushy with both hands."

For the 100th time, in disbelief that checkbox does nothing, I looked again at the bottom of the last X messages list, and low and behold, "Delete Selected" is right there, under the last message in the list. So my apologies for being blind and not having hands.

To the off topic troll foder: The most useful software is the most diverse software. That which allows the admins to set and publish their own ideals and methods and restrictions will be the most useful. YaBB does do this pretty handily. That's certainly one reason we all like and use this ware. Even to the point of, "OMG what are all these choices!" (When you're setting up your first board the thought of, "Do I really want to read all this..." does come into play. But it is a must all those choices exist, and certainly does allow for any admin to set the philosophy of his/her own discussion centers solely to their own tastes.

Absolutely the ability to freeze edits and curtail deletes has great utility to exist at a user level, by the admin. With admin ability to do whatever, whenever he sees fit, there is no better configuration. Give an admin his choice of 1 hour, 1 day, or 1 week user edits... along with the "screw it" anytime option, if he chooses, and no design can be better optimized. And that IS what we have in these wares, last I looked. So this IS an outrageously good offering of discussion ware. EOS.

To an admin's option of deleting anytime: It's their prerogative and must be allowed for in the warez. Any ramification of hole in thread can easily be soothed by simply replacing the deleted message with a disclaimer: "This message was deleted on 08/05/12 at 5:57pm by Whatshisthumper." Wither Whatshisthumper be admin or user as allowed by board law.

And isn't ALL this, all these points, provided in our beloved discussion board ware? I kinda think they are. So previous versions not withstanding, kudos for all the forethought and attention the 2.5 team put into their version to make it what it is to date, kudos to the 3.0 team for what of this great ware they deem to keep and carry on with. Kudos to all that ever has invested selflessly their time and energy into this good forumware! You all deserve a round of applause! Come on everybody, lets show the team(s) how much we appreciate all their hard work!

<Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap clap clap>

Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 3:39pm
Post Tools
The trick to the admin using the delete posts from the Admin edit/ user CP is that you have to do it before you delete the culprit's membership. But a mod for those who got that backwards might be in order.  Hmm.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 6:07pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 4th, 2012 at 9:11pm:
... my bad for feeding the troll.

At least you're being up front about it here in this forum; finally. Wink

A troll to some is a person who doesn't agree with their point of view.

For me personally, when someone has a different point of view about something, that's all it is; a different point of view. A difference of opinion. I don't have to like it, but in my own heart and soul at least, I'm compelled to respect it, so I do what I can to resist the human temptation to bully a person I disagree with by calling them names.

On that note, I am so happy that bullying has gotten such great national attention over the last couple of years, particularly when it relates to children who sometimes have to endure it without anyone helping them out.

I was very fortunate in my youth because I was somehow blessed to have always found groups of people who together, we always defeated the bullies. I still take a lot of pride in that, and I'm proud of those young people around me who made the lives of those who were bullied much better.

I actually feel sorry for the bullies, because the guilt of how they treated others surely must haunt them in their adult lives. How awful that must be to live with that guilt.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Tanner
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 4:03pm
Post Tools
I said I found checkboxes and a delete all button at the bottom of >>last X messages from user, but I seemed to have hallucinated that little function, as now I want it and it's not there. I did freshen my admin password when I logged in, so not that.

So this is to go back on record asking for checkboxes and delete buttons in Last X messages, from the user's profile page. Admin only function.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 5:39pm
Post Tools
There's a mod for that - http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1310129824

But it doesn't work for members who were deleted before the mod was added.

Oops, responding to wrong question. I'm not sure there was ever a 'delete all' check box as in 'all posts' by a user. But it would be useful.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2012 at 5:47pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Tanner
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 4:00pm
Post Tools
Yes, V3.0 must have a fast way to remove all from offensive spammers. I just spent 30 minutes removing 26 spammer posts by the only method I know, or maybe I should say; best and efficient conceived to date method: call up the main screen, look for category new posts, go category list, check, check, check, remove, go. Back to main. Do again.

It's a bit painful. Any other suggestions for a better technique welcome.

IP Logged

Tanner
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 4:07pm
Post Tools
Actually Carsten's mod looks like a good peice of work, however; I leave the spammers in the members list, banning the username and email address to force them to do the work of rejoining the forum for more abuse, thusly also making them provide another email account for the next user, which hopefully causes them more work still.

So my technique screws me out of using this great mod. Looks great tho.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 5:38pm
Post Tools
Actually, I use the same technique - it also means I have easier access to the old posts if I need it. A 'closed' group works wonder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top