Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Automatic instalation/updat feature (Read 6,336 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Automatic instalation/updat feature
Reply #15 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 6:47pm
Post Tools
Quote:
To do a compatibility test, you either will need shell access or a CGI script that isn't Perl-based.  You could easily use PHP, but then you'd have to require PHP on the server, something which YaBB currently does not require.  Other than that, I'm not sure what cross-platform CGI you could use, since anything compiled would not be platform-independent.  Is there something that would work?

Well cepheid, LOL - I was hoping you might know the answer to that one  Grin

I was 'thinking' you might be able to search an environment variable for 'Perl' perhaps with a page with some Javascript in it - but I really don't know.

Shocked

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #16 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 11:23pm
Post Tools
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

Posts beeing OFF Topic I splited. Please don't mix topics! Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2009 at 11:26pm by deti »  

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

RKL
YaBB Newcomer

Installer
Reply #17 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 7:20am
Post Tools
Installing and updating Yabb is tricky and slow.

For a geek, a page or two of install or update instructions and a Google search or two might get the job done.  But many of us run "setup.exe" when we install or upgrade software.  In fact, I only run Yabb because CPanel offers it and I gave up trying to manually update to V2.4.

How about making an FTP installer for Yabb which creates the needed folders, uploads and CHMODs the files.  It could show a GUI which lets you select the install folder and set a few basics.  This installer could even run on a server somewhere and just show a simple form in the browser.

The same sort of program would help when updating Yabb.

I write desktop software for a living, and we magic away all the setup and update issues with our installers.  Maybe Yabb can become much more popular through similar ease of use?

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #18 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 11:53am
Post Tools
RKL wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 7:20am:
I write desktop software for a living, and we magic away all the setup and update issues with our installers.

If YaBB was a desktop software, it would be easy to do.  But it's not... it's made to work on a wide variety of servers, each of them subject to different setups, using different OS/software, different configurations, etc.  If you look in the Quick Guide, you will see there is a recommended set of CHMODs, and alternatives, because one set of CHMODs will not work everywhere.  That's what makes it extremely difficult to do.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #19 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 12:15am
Post Tools
RKL wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 7:20am:
How about making an FTP installer for Yabb which creates the needed folders, uploads and CHMODs the files.

Umm - we could begin right here, because FTP intrinsically does not support scripting.  The installer would have to run from the client side.  LOL - hey maybe you can write a Windows one for us.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top