Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Automatic instalation/updat feature (Read 6,292 times)
Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Re: Automatic instalation/updat feature
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 5:24am
Post Tools
Great idea.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 2:33am
Post Tools
Well ALLLL RIGHT NOW!

Lets make it four people who think its a good idea.  I'm quite unsure how easy a fix would be for Windows.  For self-hosting Windows a Powershell script might work (I was actually thinking about exactly this issue last week)  and I thought a self-installer should be part of YaBB 3.0

Last year, when I was just getting YaBB to work consistently on Windows, someone here asked me if I had looked at what SMF had done.  I tested their software and themed a test forum in case I could not make YaBB work. err - Snap, Bang, Done.

Worth looking at.

Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 11:38pm
Post Tools
For what it's worth, the CHMOD settings appear to already be correct for anyone using a UNIX host and the .tar.gz file.  I installed v2.4 on two CentOS (Linux) servers using the permissions that came out of the tarball, and everything works perfectly in that regard.

I'm not sure about permissions settings using the zip file and/or on Windows hosts, but on a UNIX server (including Mac OS X) using the tarball, the CHMOD doesn't seem to be an issue.

So, for installation purposes, I'd say there's no need for any other script for UNIXers.  For upgrade, yes, a script is needed.  It should be an easy script and I'll see if I have some time to write one up.

(For update, the admin user/pass should not be needed, because the installation uses the default pass and the settings file then gets replaced with the old one.)

deti, would you imagine that this script automatically runs through the maintenance procedures (rebuild memberlist, rebuild thread index, etc.) automatically?  Or, would the user still have to do that?

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
This is something that I've wanted to see for a long time and would be an incredible help to novice users.

IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Automatic instalation/updat feature
Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:10pm
Post Tools
I want to see a script that users our zip or tar.gz files to install (not setup!) a new forum on the server with all CHMOD settings set as needed and that has also the ability to update existing forums.

I imagine it this way:
- You upload the installation file and the zip/tar.gz on your server
- You call the installation file it ask you for the paths to the cgi-bin and the public_html folder and then extracts the compressed file into this folders.
   If you update, it ask for your admin name and password and will then take your forum path settings and extract the files there.

Obviously the upgrade will only work with non moded forums that have no changes in the default and yabb21 template folders. Other files and folders will not be touched and therefore the other templates must then be updated by hand as it is now.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:13pm by deti »  

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.