YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Pages: 1 2 
Topic Tools

Add once-daily "digest" option for notifications (Read 4,738 times)
 Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 3:29pm
There are no actions to perform.  

Matt Siegman 
YaBB Legends (Inactive)
Wichita, KS

None
Re: Add once-daily "digest" option for notifications
I've attempted the forking method with software at work. Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

Until the spawned process returns, the server doesn't close the connection, even if you sever all ties to your wayward child process. Apache doesn't forget it. Unless the host is not good at configuration, these processes will get killed by Apache after some set amount of time, usually somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds.

To get around this problem, we actually had to write a separate server program, make a database, put the work data in the database, query the server program with the web page program to tell it to do the work, and then return the page. It was a pain...

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged  
 Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 4:10pm

deti 
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team
Prien am Chiemsee, Germany

None
Matt Siegman wrote on Jun 9th, 2009 at 3:29pm:
... usually somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds.

We can make the process stop after 20 seconds and restart at the next call to YaBB for the next 20 seconds and so on until it is finished. That is the way Maintenance is working at the moment, since we got into server time out on big forums the whole process is done in many calls to YaBB until it is fished - if needed.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2009 at 4:16pm by deti »  
Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged  
 Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 4:13pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
I'm with Matt on this as a 'server mechanic'.  'cron' is a Unix/Linux thing, and most webhosting accounts don't get access to it for obvious reasons.

As for the Digest e-mail, its a great concept. "if" it were me with this challenge, I'd build a local Perl Applet (to get past OS dependence) to log on at the right time and run the 'Digest job'.

We probably should say - this thing (or a close cousin) can also be achieved through a flexible RSS configuration widget. a worthy item for YaBB 3. (including 'remailing')

Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2009 at 4:16pm by JonB »  
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

IP Logged  
 Reply #18 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 8:27pm

cepheid 

None
Matt Siegman wrote on Jun 9th, 2009 at 3:29pm:
Until the spawned process returns, the server doesn't close the connection, even if you sever all ties to your wayward child process. Apache doesn't forget it.

I believe there is a way to handle spawned processes without that problem, but I can't think of it at the moment.  I'll do some research on this.

JonB wrote on Jun 9th, 2009 at 4:13pm:
'cron' is a Unix/Linux thing, and most webhosting accounts don't get access to it for obvious reasons.

Agreed, which is why I suggested the other mechanic to handle it.

JonB wrote on Jun 9th, 2009 at 4:13pm:
I'd build a local Perl Applet (to get past OS dependence) to log on at the right time and run the 'Digest job'.

But you can't guarantee to log on at the right time unless you use cron; otherwise, you have to spawn a child process.

IP Logged  
 Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 3:55pm

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
Quote:
But you can't guarantee to log on at the right time unless you use cron; otherwise, you have to spawn a child process

you missed my point, I'm referring to 'local' applet that runs on a user machine/PC - NOT a server applet.  Much like an IRC bot.

Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009 at 3:56pm by JonB »  

IP Logged  
 Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 7:39pm

cepheid 

None
JonB wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 3:55pm:
I'm referring to 'local' applet that runs on a user machine/PC

Ahhh. But then you'd require cron (or Windows/Mac scheduling) on the client side, plus the client would have to be on and connected to the internet.  We would want this to work even if the admin were on vacation or what-not, so having it server-side is the best option.

IP Logged  
 Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 1:30am

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
As was stated before, there's no magic bullet for automated processing on most low-end hosting accounts as most hosts are wise enough to not enable it.  You could certainly write a Mod at some point for those with shell or cron access.

OR Build a better RSS engine, then its USER driven.

No matter what you do the processing will need to examine the intended recipients/user's YaBB 'state'.  Or be 'board selectable' maybe.

Wink

IP Logged  
Pages: 1 2 
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.