Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CGI Error - HTTP Errors (Read 32,710 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: CGI Error - HTTP Errors
Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 2:43pm
Post Tools
@louwk

What you can't see is that Perl MODULE support dependencies have changed in YaBB.  That was why I sent you to that Wikipedia article. Just so you know, there are different versions of 'same-named' Perl modules, just like there are different versions of Perl and Windows OS'.  And some don't work right on Windows servers.  Because Perl on Windows is an endangered species, the reporting levels on bugs are low.  I'm currently working on this issue for other (non-functionality) related issues, such as garbage-collection and maintenance.

Quote:
Windows
Users of Microsoft Windows typically install one of the native binary distributions of Perl for Win32,[31] most commonly ActivePerl. Compiling Perl from source code under Windows is possible, but most installations lack the requisite C compiler and build tools. This also makes it difficult to install modules from the CPAN, particularly those that are partially written in C.

Users of the ActivePerl binary distribution are, therefore, dependent on the repackaged modules provided in ActiveState’s module repository, which are precompiled and can be installed with PPM. Limited resources to maintain this repository have been cause for various long-standing problems.[32][33]

To address this and other problems of Perl on the Windows platform, win32.perl.org[34] was launched by Adam Kennedy on behalf of The Perl Foundation in June 2006. This is a community website for "all things Windows and Perl." A major aim of this project is to provide production-quality alternative Perl distributions that include an embedded C compiler and build tools, so as to enable Windows users to install modules directly from the CPAN. The production distribution in the family is known as Strawberry Perl,[35] with research and experimental work done in a related Vanilla Perl distribution.[36]

Another popular way of running Perl under Windows is provided by the Cygwin emulation layer. Cygwin provides a Unix-like environment on Windows, and both perl and cpan are conveniently available as standard pre-compiled packages in the Cygwin setup program. Because Cygwin also includes the gcc, compiling Perl from source is also possible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl

A very good test to do right now (since I am also debugging YaBB on Server 2008/IIS7) would be to install 2.31 and test it.

I see you did that - Thanks  Smiley

I have no problem explaining this to you, because you will learn a bunch in the process. And I will have more time to dig into the problem, which must be balanced against my 'real-life' workload.

Wink

Again - keep in mind, I have 3 working bug-free w2K3 forums running.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2009 at 2:47pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

louwk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 2:15pm
Post Tools
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone.

I was a little concerned that not having the following perl modules might be to blame:
Time::HiRes
Net::SMTP::TLS
Crypt::SSLeay

To find out, I worked my way up from 2.0 to all versions right up to 2.4 and 2.3.1 installed without any problems, 2.4 does not.

Looking at the files and codes, there isn't much difference between 2.3.1 and 2.4, so the environment may have (and I use MAY as I don't wish to upset anyone) nothing to do with it. So it MAY well be the code diff between 2.3.1 and 2.4.

some additional mod maybe? May well be that a mod screwed something up. I have seen that before where a mod, installed as a mod worked OK and didn't screwup anything; however, as soon as that mod was made an integral part of the code (by popular demand), the whole thing went out of wack I don't really know with yabb 2.4, just trying to narrow the field for you.

cheers

cheers

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 1:01pm
Post Tools
@louwk.

I won't quote-back from your three posts, as I finf that often confuses things.

I'm actaully glad you are doing that, because you are knocking off some of the debug cycle.

But (there is always one of those) although you have performed soem of the same steps I have (for non-related debugging) - I think you have drawn the wrong conclusion.

You are thinking along the right lines.  And some of your conlusions are likely correct,  There IS most likely some kind of a dependency issue. The fact that 2.2 works does indicate there's soemthing different about the 2.4 package.

However. the fact I have 3 forums running functionally bug-free in a Windows Server 2003/IIS6 environment says the problem is not with the YaBB code, but with the environment. 

I won't get into a long dissertation about Perl on Windows, but its a red-haired stepchild. This will most likely turn out to be a Perl 'thing' in my estimation. 

I'm not a Perl Mechanic, but I am a systems integrator who does cross-platform work. I've been running Perl on Windows servers since NT 3.51. YaBB is the second Perl based forum I have nurtured plus 2 blogs and a content management system. For the last year and a half, I have been discovering the intracacies of running YaBB on Windows servers. 

I arrived here unable to get YaBB 2.x to stay logged in on W2K server. No worky, no worky. In the end I ugraded to W2K3, end of problem.  Later the issue was sussed out that required a code fix supplied by Microsoft.  Its the 'nph-fix'.  NOT a YaBB issue, an environment issue.

Since we now have the same YaBB code running OK on my W2K3, and not on yours, I don't think its YaBB or Microsoft.  What's left? The piece in the middle.

I'm working on it, and a possible workaroud for you two. Warning, the workaround may be a red-headed stepchild* - LOL. 

Smiley

Edited:
red-headed stepchild (i think its an 'Americanism')
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=red+headed+stepchild

IP Logged

louwk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:31am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 4:55pm:
louwk:

In YaBB.pl
Code
Select All
# use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser); # used only for tests

remove the #  to see if we can get a better read on the error.

Good Luck

Edited:
@TickToo - it won't break your server. I would save the original of course, but its a simple edit

have done, and no errors to log.
The error template keeps telling me that theire are no errors to log since I last cleaned the file.

Question:
I take it that the cgi error when accessing the advanced settings is thrown by admin/settings_advanced.pl
what other files (.pl) are called by this script and which file does it write to, settings.pl?

IP Logged

louwk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 8:59am
Post Tools
In answer to one of the earlier questions:
No, I do not use localhost at all, except to instal the files. Setup is then performed using normal internet access. The server will NEVER be under console load, except to put files in their respective places.

IP Logged

louwk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 8:52am
Post Tools
OK, being a somewhat impatient person (at times), this is what I did.
I downloaded the zip archive again and reinstalled, same problem.
Then I thought that there might be a problem with the zip archive so downloaded the tar archive and reinstalled, same problem.

I then downloaded version 2.2 zip, installed it and, lo and behold, worked first time around.

My deduction has to be: there is something wrong with the 2.4 archive or its installation process.

I run perl 5.6.1 and that should be OK also as everything else in version 2.4 works, except for the advanced settings.

I tried about all I can try eg disabled flock etc, without success.

The only other thing I can think of is:
1- I don't have one of the archiving modules, but that is irrelevant as I do my own backup (and the guide states that it can be ignored)
2- I don't have the SMPT xxx module, and that is irrelevant as well, as I use send mail on windows, which works like a charm (and the guide also notes that it is not a must have)

So, somewhere in the setup there is a glitch

If there is anything I can do to help find the error, let me know (remembering that we are 17/18 hours ahead of you guys)

cheers

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:46pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Were you able to login to the plesk panel?  Oops - check that - It looks like some of the missing files appeared.

A. - What?

B. - AFAIK - the credentials you PM'ed me did not work.

Thanks
Smiley

IP Logged

TickToo
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:41pm
Post Tools
Hi JonB,

Just changed YaBB.pl.

No more extra level detail on the error.  Same thing.

Were you able to login to the plesk panel?  Oops - check that - It looks like some of the missing files appeared.

Anything that I might ask my host in order to help diagnose?

-Greg

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #17 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 4:55pm
Post Tools
louwk:

In YaBB.pl
Code
Select All
# use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser); # used only for tests

remove the #  to see if we can get a better read on the error.

Good Luck

Edited:
@TickToo - it won't break your server. I would save the original of course, but its a simple edit
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009 at 5:11pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 4:17pm
Post Tools
TickToo -

I don't know, but I would sure like to 'peer into' the server control panel.  I'm very unsure if you and louwk's problems are related.

If I had a 'genius level quick fix' you would have heard it.  smiley=wink.gif]

Are you able to run Backups correctly?

Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 4:11pm
Post Tools
louwk:

are you by any chance using 'localhost' as a means to access the forum? 

if so - see this topic:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1238529422

Good Luck
Smiley

IP Logged

louwk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:45pm
Post Tools
Hi,
1-
files were downloaded straight to the server and handled on the server (I am sitting in front of it)
2-
this wasn't an upgrade, but a new install (ran gold 1.3.1 before)

FILES
advsettings.txt does NOT exist
only admin.helporder can be seen
secsettings.txt does not exist

another 'funny' thing happened during the installation:
when first calling setup.pl, the setup wouldn't work as it was looking for a file called (I think) 'cook.txt' or something like that. As this file did not exist, I refreshed the browser and it went ahead and installed.

IP Logged

TickToo
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
Hi JonB,

I definitely used the Quick Guide, however its been weeks and cannot be certain that I did not make a mistake.

There is no advsettings.txt in my variables folder.

There is also no secsettings.txt

Is this going to require a complete reinstall or can I "fix" things somehow?

-TickToo

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:59pm
Post Tools
Both problem installs:

Please check and see if 'advsettings.txt' still exists in the Variables folder. 

TickToo, what version did you upgrade from?  If a 2.x version, did you follow this procedure in the Quick Guide?

Quote:
cgi-bin/yabb2/Variables/* all files EXCEPT the following files:

* Menu0.def, Menu1.def, Menu2.def
    * *.helporder (all files with this extension. Note: Your version may not contain these files.)
    * advsettings.txt
    * secsettings.txt
    * Settings.pl

Now copy the following files to a separate folder and rename them as it is shown here:

* advsettings.txt => upgrade_advsettings.txt
    * secsettings.txt => upgrade_secsettings.txt
    * Settings.pl => upgrade_Settings.pl

then move the renamed files into cgi-bin/yabb2/Variables/ of your new forum.

This only detective work at this point..

Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:03pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:51pm
Post Tools
At the moment, its a mystery as it works perfectly on my W2K3/IIS6 server.

Still working on it.

How did you copy on the files?

thanks

Good Luck
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top