Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) admin email incorrect after setup (Read 14,210 times)
cepheid

Re: admin email incorrect after setup
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:42am
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:33am:
In order to use sendmail on some hosts, mine for example, it requires that the webmaster address be my host account default address... which includes the username of my server login.

That's not relevant to this issue, because the sendmail AUTH information is entirely separate from the webmaster email address.  Or do you mean that the From: address has to correspond to your default address?  If so, that address is already exposed.

What you are suggesting - I think - is to force that server email account into being the Forum Admin email address.

No, I am only suggesting that it default to the Forum Admin email address, because the current default is a non-working address.  The admin will still be able to change it when setting up the admin account.

Part of the setup instructions tell the user to go through the various settings

Yes, the Admin Center settings.  They don't say anything about the admin Profile, which is where the email address is set incorrectly.

If a user follows the directions, they will arrive at the "webmaster@example.com" and know that something needs to be in that box.

I think it's entirely disingenuous to stick a placeholder value in a required field and expect that a user will realize it needs to be changed.  The user should either be forced to enter the admin email address during Setup, or it should default to the address already used.  Either way, the setup instructions should be rewritten to ensure that the user modifies the admin profile settings.

Not everything needs to be automatic, particularly when it involves risky things like offering up 1/2 of your server login to the public.

I don't know if you noticed, but the admin email defaults to "not public."  Therefore, you're not risking anything unless you manually expose the email address.

Be aware that I'm talking about the admin's Profile email, not the email address in the Admin Center.  The problem is that when you run Setup, it asks for your email, and that goes into the Admin Center, but not the admin Profile.

Edited:
Let me be absolutely clear here.  When you run Setup, it asks for the Forum Admin email address.  That email address then populates the the "Webmaster Email Address" field in Advanced Settings -> Email.  However, the admin's Profile email address is still set to "webmaster@example.com."  Using a bogus placeholder value for a real account is not a good thing.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:46am by cepheid »  
IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:33am
Post Tools
cepheid,

Here is the problem.

In order to use sendmail on some hosts, mine for example, it requires that the webmaster address be my host account default address... which includes the username of my server login.  I don't want that information public, so I don't use that as my Forum Admin mail address, I use another account for that.  I also don't want my main server address being the collection box for any bounced forum emails.

What you are suggesting - I think - is to force that server email account into being the Forum Admin email address unless a user 1)automatically realizes the issue, and 2)knows to change it.  All this so a user's forum email can have "an address" in the box - even though the other boxes are not set up.

There is no need to do that.  Part of the setup instructions tell the user to go through the various settings and setting up email is part of that process.  If a user follows the directions, they will arrive at the "webmaster@example.com" and know that something needs to be in that box.

Not everything needs to be automatic, particularly when it involves risky things like offering up 1/2 of your server login to the public.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:35am by OH Eng »  

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:41am
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:38am:
Should only be the same if chosen to be.

I didn't mean that it has to stay the same.  I meant that it should be set up to be the same when the forum is first created.  The admin account is set up with a bunch of defaults, and the email address should default to the one used in the Admin Center... right now it defaults to "webmaster@example.com," which is entirely incorrect.  At least by defaulting to the webmaster address in Admin Center, you'll start out with a correct address, but it can always be changed in the future.

OH Eng wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:38am:
it it was left blank, a user may not catch it in the sea of other acceptable blanks in Adv. Settings

I didn't mean it should be left blank in the Admin Center, but rather in the admin profile!  But, I guess it can't actually be blank, because an email address is required.  Therefore, it should default to the same address used in the Admin Center.  The admin should be changing it anyway as s/he goes through the admin profile, but it should always start out with a valid address, not some placeholder.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:43am by cepheid »  
IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:40am
Post Tools
OK, there's another bug here, too.  When the YaBB admin user gets created, the displayname in the memberinfo.txt file gets populated with "webmaster@yoursite.com" ... the displayname in the admin.vars file is correct, but the one in memberinfo.txt is not.

This info isn't fixed even if the admin makes profile changes, unless the display name itself is actually changed.  THEN, the proper value gets written.

I'll have to fix that, too.

Actually, I'm not even sure why the memberinfo.txt file is even there... it doesn't look like it's needed.  It does get used, but it looks like that file merely duplicates information found elsewhere.  The Board and Message files also happen to contain redundant info that ends up either not being used, or that simply doesn't need to be used.

Looks like all of these areas could benefit from some code cleanup... I'll get to it soon, I hope.

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:38am
Post Tools
cepheid wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 11:08pm:
The YaBB Admin email should either be the same as the webmaster email, or should be blank.

I don't think this is broken, cepheid.  Both addresses should only be the same if chosen to be.  eMail options may dictate it be different on some setups.  I don't know for certain if this is why it's left as webmaster@example.com, but it it was left blank, a user may not catch it in the sea of other acceptable blanks in Adv. Settings, or may think the program failed to update it when it's really not supposed to.

But check with the other devs; they may know the answer.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:41am by OH Eng »  

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 11:11pm
Post Tools
Actually, it looks like this goes beyond just the email address.  There are a bunch of settings that get set during Setup that should propagate to the Admin, including the time zone.

IP Logged

cepheid

admin email incorrect after setup
Jun 24th, 2009 at 11:08pm
Post Tools
Since I'm gearing up for dev'ing, I just installed the SVN code and ran the Setup.  Setup.pl asks for the admin email address and populates it into the Advanced Settings, but it leaves the YaBB Administrator email as "webmaster@example.com" ... this is not correct.

The YaBB Admin email should either be the same as the webmaster email, or should be blank.

Since I'm working on getting stuff set up for dev'ing, I'll try to fix this myself and post the patch. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top