Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Optimizing .lng files (Read 19,619 times)
cepheid

Optimizing .lng files
Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:05am
Post Tools
cepheid wrote on May 24th, 2009 at 10:15pm:
I'll probably be submitting a patch soon for a number of (minor) updates to the English .lng files, correcting some spelling/grammar and for improved readability.Nothing ground-breaking, though. Smiley

deti, I'm working on improving the language in the English .lng files now.  They're quite long so it's taking a while. Smiley  The first patch is available now:
http://dev.3phase.com/yabb/patches/admin_lng.patch

I've noticed that there are quite a few entries that are not actually used anywhere in the code anymore.  I didn't do anything with those at this time, but IMHO they should probably be removed to improve performance (however minorly), since they're not used anywhere in the code.

Also, a question: why are some entries numbered and some given names, e.g. $admin_txt{'1'} but $clicklog_txt{'users'} ?  I assume the numbering is so that nobody has to speak English to understand, but since most development is done in English (all the YaBB comments are in English, for example), it seems like the named versions should be used instead... that would also make debugging the code a lot easier, since (at least for me) it's easier to remember what named entries might do, versus numbers which could mean anything.

Given how much overlap there is in many of the entries, naming them would also help consolidate to reduce repetition... items repeated in many language files could also be consolidated into a Shared.lng so that very common things aren't repeated.  I'll have a better idea of how much repetition is going on after I go through all the files... then, with approval, I can work on consolidating them (and, of course, updating all the .pl files which rely on those text entries).
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:05am by cepheid »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top