Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
 25 Page Saving New Layout (Read 15,918 times)
Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Re: Page Saving New Layout
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 9:16pm
Post Tools
Dito. Smiley

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 9:09pm
Post Tools
I like this too.  This sounds a little like the sample images and ideas we discussed in the staff board.  Make it happen!

IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 8:39pm
Post Tools
I like this idea Unilat! I can imagine that it will look really different from every other forum software!

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Page Saving New Layout
Jul 12th, 2009 at 7:25pm
Post Tools
We've all been looking for something that would revolutionize YaBB unlike any other bulletin board. Here is my proposal.

I guess I could call it the "Inline View". The Board index and message index would become sort of a combined type of layout.

When you click a board for instance, ajax loads the list of messages which would grow out from beneath the clicked board. Of course this would save a complete page load and the returned layout would only be the list of topics rather than having to generate an entire page.

When switching between boards, previously opened boards would slide closed and the newly clicked would slide open.

Not only would this reduce page load and server load, it is much more intuitive and gives the illusion of less moving around through the site. None of the data would be loaded until a board is clicked and the returned data could be cached for re-opening. On a re-open, we could either choose to display cached topics or have it refresh data instead.

Other pages could implement inline view as well to basically get rid of as many location changes as possible and minimize the use of back/forward buttons and navigating with the current method.

Of course, this is all based on user preference, as some are sure to hate it or not use javascript  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top