Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Page Saving New Layout (Read 16,549 times)
batchman
Support Team

Re: Page Saving New Layout
Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:12am
Post Tools
Speaking as somebody who likes the 2.1 template style, and the use of the buttons rather than the tabs ... how difficult would it be to build in the ability for a template to use either method, but only need one template?

Then we could get rid of the multiple template styles, and still get the same effect from a click in the Admin Center.

I don't know how easy or difficult it might be to do, I know it is fairly easy for me to ask "Hey, can this be done?"  Grin

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #16 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:13pm
Post Tools
I have a question for anyone who is willing to help. Currently I would like to keep up the test board that I have been granted access to with a clean 2.4 in case I have additional mods I want to create.

However, I would like to have a clean SVN board that I could update as well for changes like these. Unfortunately my own site has been down for months and I'm quite tired of how slow and unresponsive it is. If anyone has a test site they are willing to provide I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to anyone who offers  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #17 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:33pm
Post Tools
batchman:
It may be possible, but we'd have to look into it. Maybe we could make it so that you can choose a menu template separately from the rest of the template or something. It'll require a bit of thought.

Unilat:
I'll send you a PM tonight when I get back to my hotel from work. I may be able to help you out.

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #18 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:00pm
Post Tools
Cool, thanks a lot Matt.  Smiley

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #19 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Post Tools
@ Unilat

If Matt can't help you out, PM me.  I run a dedicated server, I can give you space, as long as your bandwidth requirements aren't major.

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #20 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 4:39am
Post Tools
I'd offer assistance, but I don't think I have ever managed to get you un-banned from my server after the last time!  Undecided

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #21 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 10:20pm
Post Tools
No problem batchman, Matt provided willingly (otherwise I would have had to use force  Cool )

So I'm okay with the fact I'm restricted from your site  Cheesy

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 9:30pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Speaking as somebody who likes the 2.1 template style, and the use of the buttons rather than the tabs ... how difficult would it be to build in the ability for a template to use either method, but only need one template?

Then we could get rid of the multiple template styles, and still get the same effect from a click in the Admin Center.

You would only be saving one file by making the other one twice as complex.  Why not just make two templates, but not call it "2.1," maybe call it "button style" or something else?  Also, it would be a good idea to put all the default graphics (for both style templates) into one directory, there really is no reason to have two now.

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #23 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 9:53pm
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on Jul 17th, 2009 at 9:30pm:
Also, it would be a good idea to put all the default graphics (for both style templates) into one directory, there really is no reason to have two now.

I agree; they really should be in just one directory, because there is already code that checks whether an image is in the template directory and, if not, defaults to the default directory.

Not all the images are duplicated between the default and yabb21 directories... there are some, but not all.  I'm sure the list could be trimmed significantly.

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #24 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 10:33pm
Post Tools
Well do it then Wink -- The code parts anyway. Then tell me which files get nuked.

I'll have to pick a template package soon, and then we can start building the new look for YaBB 3 Smiley

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #25 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:18am
Post Tools
Hey all, this works in its beginning stages in the dev forum.

http://www.dev.yabbworld.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

Click the gray arrow icons on each expandable board to see how it works.

Each load of the message index is cached for reopening.

Still need to make paging work correctly as of now it just goes to the normal message index.

Suggestions welcome.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #26 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:37am
Post Tools
I do actually really like that myself. I remember reading the first post on your idea about this last year and I wasn't too sure exactly what you meant - I was slightly worried that it was going to make drastic changes to how the board index looked. But, as I say, I really do like it. I like the fact that you could just ignore it too and click on the boards the normal way.

I've never seen anything like it on any other forum's either before, which is a good thing.

Nice job! I like it!

Smiley

Edited:
Was that link meant to have been posted publicly?

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:55am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #27 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:25pm
Post Tools
This board has been completely inactive so yes, I meant to post that link to try to stir up some activity haha. Because the dev forum shows a little more than what has been shown so far. Such as sub boards.

By the way, do you have gmail account that you use frequently or msn? As an active member I feel like you'd be a helpful hand to collaborate with.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:27pm by Unilat »  

IP Logged

chillipepper

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #28 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:06pm
Post Tools
I also run the beta version on my live site..and my members like the new layout..with sub-boards i found that they dont get picked up in rss feeds with auto get posted on my fb account.think i have posted about this before but thougt i would let you guys know..

i been ill past month so i not dont much testing  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #29 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:10pm
Post Tools
Unilat wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:25pm:
By the way, do you have gmail account that you use frequently or msn? As an active member I feel like you'd be a helpful hand to collaborate with.

I haven't got anything like that I use regularly I'm afraid - I use a Mac so obviously can't use MSN. I've got email notification turned on for PM's over at BoardMod, so I'm easily contacted from there, or I could give you my email address if you wanted. I guess I could set up a GMail account (is that more than just email now then?), if any of that helps...
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:10pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top