Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) PMs to be more "instant" (Read 9,348 times)
Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Re: PMs to be more "instant"
Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 3:10am
Post Tools
I don't think we should entirely eliminate the PM pages, but my opinion can be swayed if the template is built right.

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 3:06am
Post Tools
Pushing data is out of the question and AJAX polling is also out of the question in my opinion. Such additions should only be modifications and definitely not a core feature. Plus, I had an ajax update to the shoutbox mod and its just a pain in the rear in general because of server times and browser issues.

My suggestion still stands. PM pages are eliminated and confined to popups that are not javascript alert boxes. Legitimate, good looking floating divs  Wink It also saves a full page load and gives the user the allusion that their PM's are instant. At least, sender wise they will be, receiver will still have to load a page.

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 4:27am
Post Tools
cepheid wrote on Jul 17th, 2009 at 1:52am:
Isn't that basically the same idea behind the "pop-up notification on new PMs," except that it contains the actual PM instead of a notification?It seems like this would be (sort of) duplicating functionality, and if it's limited to only short messages then it might be of rather limited use, too.

Direct Messages only works if user are online. And if you send a DM to a user, which go off, its save message into variables/whomessage.txt until user goes online again.

Direct Message can be disabled in Profile Option who no want to use it.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2009 at 4:28am by Jet Li »  

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 2:40am
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 17th, 2009 at 2:14am:
The problem is that most shared hosts explicitly prohibit chat programs.

True, but I think that depends on the type of chat.  The host I use (OLM.net) specifically prohibits IRC, but they do not prohibit PHP-based chat modules (in fact, they even offer to automatically install phpMyChat).

Obviously, some hosts are stricter than others.

Edited:
The nice part about AJAX Chat is that they push almost all of the processing, especially the HTML formation, to the client via JavaScript, so the server sends back only updates and only in plain text - all the formatting, emoticons, etc. is done client-side via JS.  It's really quite clever.

In any case, I brought up AJAX Chat not because I recommend we add a full chat module (that can be done as a Mod, per Jet Li's existing one) but because they use AJAX to poll every 2 seconds, but they structure the polls to be as minimal as possible, so the impact on the server isn't too bad.  Granted, I only tested it with 20-30 users; for large forums with hundreds of people browsing simultaneously, it could be bad, but hopefully anyone running such a large and popular forum would be on a server that could support it!

Anyway, all I'm saying is that I understand the need to avoid constant AJAX polling, but that it can probably be done in a minimalistic way to make its impact small compared to the YaBB process in general.  I'm only saying we shouldn't necessarily dismiss the AJAX polling out of hand.  My opinion only, of course.  (The actual issue of a FULL chat program per se is one for another thread, and I agree it should be done as a mod, not as part of the standard install.)
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2009 at 3:04am by cepheid »  
IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 2:14am
Post Tools
The problem is that most shared hosts explicitly prohibit chat programs. YaBB is used on a lot of said hosts. We already have enough problems with those hosts complaining about us, we don't need to give them yet another reason.

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 2:02am
Post Tools
Unilat wrote on Jul 16th, 2009 at 6:02pm:
It cannot receive as soon as there is an update unless it is constantly checking, which means background processes would be constantly running and making server load.

It depends on how often it polls, and whether the polls and responses are structured to be as minimal as possible on the back-end (where each poll looks only for a "yes" or "no," and a "yes" response will trigger something more complex).  On a couple of servers, I run a piece of software called AJAX Chat (exactly what it sounds like: a chat program based on AJAX).  There are organized monthly chats with 20-30 users on simultaneously, all querying the server constantly for an hour, and the server handles it quite well.  (I've done this both on a shared hosting account with limited bandwidth and on a relatively crappy but dedicated server... I never had problems either on the shared account or the dedicated server in terms of CPU usage, bandwidth overages, or server speed.)

AJAX Chat also has an option for running its own daemon using Ruby, although that gets more complicated.

(I actually think AJAX Chat would make a great chat program for YaBB.  Integrating the login processes is trivial, though a full integration would be more difficult.  I started talking to Jet Li about this for his chat mod, but haven't gotten anywhere fit it yet due to other pressing concerns.)

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 2:00am
Post Tools
Yeah, it essentially is, but we could do better than a simple notification.

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 1:52am
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 16th, 2009 at 11:41pm:
proper instant messaging like FB or GMail would require almost constant polling of the server.

It doesn't have to be constant, per se... I believe FB and GMail poll only once every 10 seconds or so, though I'm not positive.  Of course, most YaBB admins don't have the server resources that FB and GMail do, so even once-per-10-seconds polling could be a bit much for some admins, although if done minimally, each request would only be marginally larger than just HTTP headers (i.e. no more than a few hundred bytes).

Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 16th, 2009 at 11:41pm:
I think the direct messaging method that deti has is pretty cool, we could make that just part of the normal pm system.

Isn't that basically the same idea behind the "pop-up notification on new PMs," except that it contains the actual PM instead of a notification?  It seems like this would be (sort of) duplicating functionality, and if it's limited to only short messages then it might be of rather limited use, too.

Perhaps the PM pop-up could be expanded somewhat to include the first 100 characters or so of the message, so that short messages will appear in their entirety?  The pop-up could include two buttons: "View PM" or "Delete PM" ... I guess this would be sort of a fusion of both methods.

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 11:41pm
Post Tools
As Unilat said, proper instant messaging like FB or GMail would require almost constant polling of the server. I think the direct messaging method that deti has is pretty cool, we could make that just part of the normal pm system.

IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 7:23pm
Post Tools
In the "Who is Where?" Mod we have something called DM (DirectMessages). You can write a short message to someone who is online at the moment. When he calls the next page he get an JS-alert with this short message in it, then this message is deleted on the server DM-file.

You can test it here, if you are logged in, on this board of JetLi:
http://www.yabbworld.com/cgi-bin/yabbmods/YaBB.pl?action=who
Just send a DM to yourself. Smiley

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 6:02pm
Post Tools
There is no way to push data to a user. AJAX can only send without actually loading a page. It cannot receive as soon as there is an update unless it is constantly checking, which means background processes would be constantly running and making server load.

The easiest way to be different would be to eliminate the PM page altogether. If you hit PM, a floating div will pop up on the screen with what we see now on the PM page. Then when you send it, it goes away and sends the message. If there is an error, write it to a log of some sort and the next refresh of a page will alert the user that there was an error in sending the message.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2009 at 6:04pm by Unilat »  

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 2:59am
Post Tools
I don't know if this would require all that much load or not - of course, I'd only be for it if it wasn't that intensive.  On the flip side, how else can we be different - this is one easy way.

As far as annoying people that don't want it, you can always make it a user preference in your profile to allow the instant version or not.  You'd also be able to set your status there too (stealth/hidden mode on/off and away on/off like we have in the profile but right on the chat dialog).

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 2:11am
Post Tools
As a normal forum user I would probably like it.  As a Support Team member I would probably turn it off before very long.  Not that it isn't a good feature, but I get quite a few users who, if they spot me online, will PM me for help rather than post.  Doesn't matter if you've asked them 12 times to NOT do that, they still do.  That's why I set my PM's to full ignore about once every 3 or 4 weeks, just for a week or so.  Forces them back into posting.

Load and host TOS are big reasons to consider.

This reminded me of another suggestion.  I'll post separately so as not to hijack this topic.

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 1:28am
Post Tools
I'm not sure that's a good idea to put in as a core feature. It could put a lot of load on the server and may violate a lot of hosts' acceptable use policy.

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
PMs to be more "instant"
Jul 16th, 2009 at 1:15am
Post Tools
YaBB has always had available a "chat" mod.  It was not added as a default feature for several reasons:  PMs already existed, the point of a forum was to record the discussion for viewing later, the chat mod required a lot of overhead and didn't work on all browsers I think.

What if we were to use Ajax to make PMs more "instant"?  If a person is online and you send a PM to them, it pushes directly to their browser.  Right now you have to click to another page or refresh to see the message at the top stating if you have new PMs (or to see the Javascript popup generated only on the board index).  Even better would be to make this feature work like a chat box if the person is online that can be opened or closed on the bottom of the page.  If you've ever used the Gmail Chat or the chat feature now on Facebook, you'll know what I'm talking about.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top