Topic Tools
 25 Y3 Folders (Read 9,464 times)
Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Re: Y3 Folders
Reply #28 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 2:53am
Post Tools
I'd say stick to a web-based conversion process.  Much more straight forward and cross-platform.  With client-side you not only have the issue of making versions for many OS types, you will have many confused people that do it on their personal PC, which requires downloading and uploading all the files (which is also VERY time consuming especially for large forums and harder when most FTP limits how many files can be seen or pulled).  Every web app I've used has always been a very fancy looking and easy to follow step by step automated wizard.  Look at Mambo/Joomla, phpAds, etc.

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 9:31pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:20pm:
Do you mean YaBB 'installs on servers', YaBB 'administrators desktop OS' or YaBB 'users'?

I meant the server OS on which YaBB is installed.

JonB wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:20pm:
I think - write in Perl and compile to the big targets, the rest can use the source or compile themselves.

That would probably be fine, but it would require a lot of file transfers: the admin has to transfer all the Y1 files to the desktop, then convert, then transfer those back to the server.  There are too many steps, and too many places that a mistake could be inserted.  Ideally, everything should just be done on the server, where the old forum does reside, and where the new one will.  Especially for XXL forums, transferring thousands of files takes a lot of time and bandwidth, and I think it could be avoided.  My opinion, anyway.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #26 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:20pm
Post Tools
Quote:
I suspect that Linux users account for 50%, possibly more, of YaBB users

Do you mean YaBB 'installs on servers', YaBB 'administrators desktop OS' or YaBB 'users'?

If you mean YaBB 'Users' (that would be people who ACCESS Yabb forums) - you have been drinking waaaay too much penguinade.  Even as choice of administrator's desktop OS, I would be flabergasted if it approached 25%.  Most administrators are not true developers.  Even in hosting companies, desktops are often Windows with rlogins. 

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3818696/Linux-Desktop-Market-S...

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_Cracks_2_of_the_market_according_to_W3Counter

I would also be very, very interested to know the breakdown of server OS for YaBB installed (although I am not aware of any way to get that data).  (and THAT is something YaBB 3 should have - voluntary non-sensitive data collection).

My wild-a**-guess for servers would be Linux 65%, Unix 15% (Freebsd), Windows 15%, and Mac 4.95%.  OK, and LOL all others .05%    The Mac number is because Mac hosting operations are virtually nill.

Wink

I like Unilat's idea a lot!

I think - write in Perl and compile to the big targets, the rest can use the source or compile themselves.

Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:28pm by Jet Li »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #25 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 4:02am
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 3:23am:
But, but, desktop linux users chose to use a platform that most apps don't run on Wink

Uh-huh. Tongue  I know you mean that as a joke, but considering that Perl was developed on *nix, as was apache and pretty much the whole internet... I think focusing on a Windows-only client is doing a disservice to the history of YaBB, not to mention a huge chunk of its user base.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2009 at 4:03am by cepheid »  
IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #24 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 3:23am
Post Tools
But, but, desktop linux users chose to use a platform that most apps don't run on Wink

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged

cepheid

Reply #23 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 9:05pm
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 19th, 2009 at 4:13pm:
The only problem I see is the linux users complaining that they can't run it.

I suspect that Linux users account for 50%, possibly more, of YaBB users.  I wouldn't spend time writing a client-side app that runs only for some, perhaps not a majority, of your users.

If you are writing a client-side app then it should be in Java or another cross-platform language, IMHO.  You also don't need to worry about servers timing out if you spawn a child process to handle conversion rather than having the script do it.  The conversion can then clear a lockfile while done, which the script will check - once the lockfile is cleared, the script displays "Done" to the user.  Polling for the lockfile can be done with AJAX if needed.

There should be ways of handling this server-side without timing out or having to do complicated ways of breaking it up into chunks... at the very least, if you go client-side, I recommend a platform-independent method like Java.

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #22 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 4:13pm
Post Tools
deti: Yes, we need to start calling our libraries/modules .pm. It is the appropriate extension for that kind of thing. Only the scripts that are to be run (not required or used) should be .pl.

Unilat: I like that idea. I'll try to start working on the schema next week. It's on my list Undecided

The only problem I see is the linux users complaining that they can't run it. But we could always use deti's suggestion for that, or we could just say: convert to YaBB 2 then convert to YaBB 3  Cheesy

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #21 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 2:21pm
Post Tools
Why don't we write a client side application to do conversions? It would be incredibly faster, not have to worry about timing out, and we could display progress bars and such. I know enough C# to write something that would convert old ugly text files to a giant mysql document that could be run to create all the necessary entries in the tables.

At least, I think I do and we still have no idea of the database structure.

IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 1:57pm
Post Tools
What about the file-extensions in Y3? Can we only call the executable files ....pl and all other scripts ....pm?

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 1:55pm
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 18th, 2009 at 5:55pm:
I see. If it is for Y1 data, do we really need to keep it, or can we just assume that they'll be upgrading from Y2?

I can't tell you.

Corey always wanted that the users can upgrade from every former version. I know that there are still many Y1 out in the internet.

But we can write in the Quick-Guide that they must make this additional folder before they start converting, then we can remove it from our package.

Was immer Du tun kannst
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 8:15pm
Post Tools
We're not to beta yet though Wink I'm getting to fixing that as quickly as I can. I'm taking the weekend off from coding, though.

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 6:37pm
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 18th, 2009 at 5:55pm:
What do you need working before you can proceed with that?

If we want more beta tester, how can they access to all links in Admin Center? Wink Now nobody cannot test all Feature in Admin Center.

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 5:55pm
Post Tools
Jet Li wrote on Jul 18th, 2009 at 7:53am:
cepheid wrote on Jul 18th, 2009 at 4:55am:
So all the other forum settings, e.g. related to user permissions, display settings, spam settings, etc., would be in the DB?

yes it would be. Step by Step. If we Devs have time working on it. Currently we waiting for Matt. I personally wait 1 week about my work to test my Eventcal Setting. Cry

What do you need working before you can proceed with that?

deti wrote on Jul 18th, 2009 at 3:14pm:
Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 17th, 2009 at 10:21pm:
I don't know what the Convert directory is.

It is used to convert Y1 Members, Messages, Board and Variables to the actual version.

I see. If it is for Y1 data, do we really need to keep it, or can we just assume that they'll be upgrading from Y2?
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2009 at 5:58pm by Matt Siegman »  

IP Logged

deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #15 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 3:14pm
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Jul 17th, 2009 at 10:21pm:
I don't know what the Convert directory is.

It is used to convert Y1 Members, Messages, Board and Variables to the actual version.

Was immer Du tun kannst
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 2:00pm
Post Tools
Wow, lots of ideas!  All I was suggesting is simply that we pick one single format for folder names... either leading caps or all lowercase, so they are consistent and no one gets hosed by forgetting a capital letter.

It does make sense to me to put all the "stuff" for templates in one place, and I'm not sure if there is any real reason for the .template files to be in the cgi-bin at all.  But again, all I was after is elimination of two folders with the same name to eliminate confusion and to eliminate having to answer support questions by typing two long paths from root to /Template folder.

While on this subject of changes, why not change the name of default.html to be default.template for consistency?  Or, change all the .template files to .html?  Or will this cause more confusion?

How would something like this work:

public_html/admin_style (all the .css, graphics, and template files for the Admin Center )
public_html/styles/default (all the .css files, all the .html and .template files now in cgi-bin, and all the graphics files).  There really is no reason I can see to have them in separate folders.

Adding a new "red" template would mean making a red.css and a new folder, public_html/styles/red, and whatever files are needed for it go in there.  Any reason it couldn't be programmed to look in the red (current template) folder first, and if it didn't find the .template or graphic in there, it would get it from the default folder?

Then all a template modification would require is one folder containing any special .template files or graphics, and one .css file.

That's as it works now.  With the html coming out of the code, it might mean more than one .css file, but the principle of it is the same.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2009 at 2:01pm by OH Eng »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top