Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Joomla bridge and Integration (Read 2,646 times)
Doherty

Re: Joomla bridge and Integration
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 10:15am
Post Tools
Matt this is the first I have heard the user modules sounds very interesting. I can't wait to see what you guys have been up to all this time ...
I am expecting great things from YaBB 3

I did not mean to sound negative at all about YaBB I have been doing a lot of research lately on forums and have found that bridges are always buggy lots of GPL license issues to contend with when integrating different softwares etc.
One thing I like about YaBB is that it has lots of features that are standard that are not on other popular forum types.
For example: RSS is standard on YaBB on Phpbb you have to download a mod and enable it on the forum what a pain. RSS should be standard for sure.
I have used YaBB since vanilla for many years and have always been happy.
I actually think that is you could tie a module to YaBB3 that let other programs use the forum userbase instead of the otherway round that would be awesome. One of the problems with a lot of these bridges I see is that they want to use the userbase of the CMS program instead of the userbase of the forum. I see a lot of problems with that like security. Forums have much better security than the CMS programs due with Captcha and all the other security measures. the CMS userbase like Joomla for example is pretty basic.
We are also now in an age of Social networking and being able to tie into twitter, facebook and such is a must.
I just feel that the more features that YaBB3 has that will be standard features or easily moded will be the force that drives people to use the software over the other guys.
I am not much of a solid coder but I do tend to tinker with code and play around with it.
If anyone needs someone to try out beta code and report I would be happy to do so.

Thanks,
* Doherty

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 3:22am
Post Tools
Since we're building module/objects for YaBB 3, you should be able to write one yourself fairly easily. You'd simply have to setup a couple of variables and use the user object. If you can plug your own authentication module into Joomla, you'd be all set. Alternatively, you could rewrite the necessary pieces of the YaBB User module to use Joomla's.

I should be committing the first version of the new user module pretty soon, hopefully that'll give you an idea of how easy it can be.

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:05am
Post Tools
Are you interested in writing one?

IP Logged

Doherty

Joomla bridge and Integration
Sep 1st, 2009 at 11:07pm
Post Tools
YaBB 3 should have a Joomla bridge.
and other CMS bridges.

Being able to integrate to popular CMS programs such as Joomla will put YaBB on the map as a premier forum.
The main reason people don't use YaBB or leave YaBB is due to CMS bridges.
When you build a site with multiple programs you wish to have a single login for the entire site. Using Yabb you are forced to have a separate login for YaBB and another login for everything else.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009 at 11:08pm by Doherty »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top