Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Registering using Arabic alphabetical characters (Read 5,395 times)
deti
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Re: Registering using Arabic alphabetical characters
Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:37pm
Post Tools
Nice work!!!

There has to be changed more to make this letters work with YaBB. So you will have to wait for one of the next releases.
For the moment I recommend to add a short info near the registration and login form-fields for your users, where you tell them what keys to hit to change easily from Arabic to English keypad and back. I guess it is Alt +Shift on Windows, but I'm not sure.

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
J. W. Goethe
IP Logged

alkutob
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 7:24pm
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Nov 1st, 2009 at 4:55pm:
YaBB 3 *should* support arabic characters, I don't think there are -any- character limitations on the usernames in it (and if there are, we'll probably remove them), but I don't really remember, tbh.

But is there any way to solve this problem in YaBB 2.4 as I want to offer the arabic Yabb translation for Arabic webmasters ...
You can see the site here
http://yabbarabic.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

thank you

Volunteer Of YaBB Arabic Support Forum
IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 4:55pm
Post Tools
YaBB 3 *should* support arabic characters, I don't think there are -any- character limitations on the usernames in it (and if there are, we'll probably remove them), but I don't really remember, tbh.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2009 at 4:55pm by Matt Siegman »  

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged

alkutob
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 4:34pm
Post Tools
Thank you for yor ideas ,
and I want to tell you that I solved the problems of the right to left appearence and writting in all of the pages ...
it is very suitable for arabic users .
the way was to convert all left alignments in the source fplder files not only templates files .
I will work now on solving the acceptance of Arabic letters in registration.

And We are now working on the new domain

http://yabbarabic.com

thank you very much.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 6:03am by alkutob »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 11:58am
Post Tools
alkutob:

You might want to look at this:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1248766321/5#5

It appears YaBB 2.3.1 handled other character sets correctly (for usage, NOT the matter of RTL display).

For now (while the developers look into the character set issues in 2.4), it might be interesting for you to install a 2.3.1 YaBB forum, and discover if the registration problems disappear.  Then you could await a fix or use your modifications on version 2.3.1

If you decide to try this, you will need make two new paths/foldersets - perhaps yabb23 for cgi-bin and yabb23files for public_html.  This will keep YaBB from getting confused (LOL). I  have used this myself and for others, and it works fine.

Good Luck
Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

alkutob
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 6:24pm
Post Tools
Thank you JonB
I really appreciate your personal opinions , we'll keep in touch

Good time

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 5:18pm
Post Tools
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I think it is an excellent suggestion that version 3 of YaBB should support Arabic characters.  As for version 2.4, most of the logic that controls those functions resides in Register.pl.  I am not one of the developers on this project, so my concern would be that other parsing routines (typically done with regular expressions) elsewhere in the code (other than in register.pl) would not function correctly.

That said, what is needed (probably) a Perl programmer to whom Arabic is native, and some assurance from knowledgeable developers of YaBB that fixing register.pl will address most of the issues.

I'm thinking of things like maintenance functions that rely on collating sequences, and file name conventions for things like the .vars files (found in members) that rely on the user name for their key.

I hope one of the developers can comment on this, and give you an accurate idea of the amount of work needed to modify version 2.4, mostly because this version is at the end of its life. (Feature locked).

Please remember, these are only my personal opinions based on my personal knowledge.

No matter the obstacles, Good luck with your project!

Smiley

IP Logged

alkutob
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 7:20pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Change encoding in one file
Edit file Main.lng (under Languages/english or other language)
Code:$mainlngver = 'YaBB 2.4 $Revision: 1.30.2.2 $';$yycharset = 'ISO-8859-1';$abbr_lang = 'en-us';

Looks like you have a good start (the main index page), if you have documented the necessary changes to specific files, it would be helpful,

rather than us starting from scratch.

This page is a great source: http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/bidi-xhtml/

Yes sir I used all necessary informations in modifying my sites from this site and I am already changed all the encoding in all the needed files in

arabic_Yabb_2.0
and I think this is something easy to be solved and to speak about .
We get back to our Major Problem

What I found and tested that

1. Registeration in the forum only accept the english letters in usernames .

When you try the arabic letters in your USER ID ( USERNAME) ,
here are the Arabic Letters

أ , إ , ا , ب , ت , ث , ج , ح , خ , د , ذ , ر , ز , س , ش , ص , ض , ط , ظ , ع , غ , ف , ق , ك , ل , م , ن , هـ , ة , و , ي , ى , ء , ئ , ئـ   )

you get this error msg.

(   There is an invalid character detected in the user ID field. Valid Characters are Letters, Numbers, Spaces and ( [ ] # % + , - | . : = ? @ ^ _ )     )

2. Registeration in the forum accept the English letters and the Arabic letters in The Displayed Names .

3.Registeration in the forum only accept the English letters in Passwords .

When you try the arabic letters in your password you get the error msg.

(    There is an invalid character detected in the password field. Valid Characters are Letters(A-Z,a-z), Numbers (0-9), Spaces and ( _ ! @ # $ % ^ &

* ( ) + | ` ~ - = \ : ; ' " , . / ? [ ] { } )    )

In this case all we need to modify the acceptance of the arabic letters  to be the same in USER ID and The Displayed Names .
as the password letters is not necessary to be arabic at this time .
I repeat :
We need the USER ID's ( USERNAMES ) to accept the arabic letters the same as Displayed Names

If this is being solved we will achieve our goal to offer Yabbarabic in the arabic word in a big strength .
I pray for this .
thank you

JonB wrote on Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:14pm:
Based on my limited knowledge of the 2.4 code (as a whole) and

my experiences trying to solve other's problems;I'd like to ask "what is the major problem in getting YaBB 2.4 Forum Software to accept arabic

characters during registration, and when creating the password?"

I hope the above reply answered your question

Thank you
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2009 at 7:52pm by alkutob »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:14pm
Post Tools
Grettings alkutob;

I see you have made quite a lot of progress, congratulations.

Based on my limited knowledge of the 2.4 code (as a whole) and my experiences trying to solve other's problems;  I'd like to ask "what is the major problem in getting YaBB 2.4 to accept arabic characters during registration, and when creating the password?"

Good Luck to you.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:06pm
Post Tools
alkutob wrote on Oct 14th, 2009 at 12:15pm:
The encoding in some files must be changed from
ISO-8859-1 to WINDOWS-1256

Change encoding in one file
Edit file Main.lng (under Languages/english or other language)
Code
Select All
$mainlngver = 'YaBB 2.4 $Revision: 1.30.2.2 $';

$yycharset = 'ISO-8859-1';
$abbr_lang = 'en-us'; 

Looks like you have a good start (the main index page), if you have documented the necessary changes to specific files, it would be helpful, rather than us starting from scratch.

This page is a great source: http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/bidi-xhtml/
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:40pm by »  

IP Logged

alkutob
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 12:15pm
Post Tools
Yes , sir I did this but to change the layout of the style it needs more than this...
To have the style acceptable while using it for arabic use it needs to be in the vice versa of the english layout %100 ,
so
1. many tables must have the correct alignments to see all the tables and all icons opposite to the english layout ..
2. and the text alignment must be starting from right to left too.
3. The encoding in some files must be changed from
ISO-8859-1   to WINDOWS-1256 besides , it must be changed to WINDOWS-1256 in some of the language files too .

You can have alook at my site
http://yabbarabic.co.cc
to see what I mean as if I only change the line you mentioned you will not see my site as it is although it still needs some modefications to have some other pages to look in the same direction as the main page .

All what I am speaking about is that we are in need for a designer to adjust the layouts of the style and for any others styles in the same way .
But we must work on the main problem which will prevent arab webmasters to use YaBB , it is the unacceptance of arabic letters and charactors in the usernames and displayed names , if this problem is solved nothing will stop YaBB to has its suitable postion in the arabic sites .We are working hard now to finish the arabic_yabb_2.4 , but if this problem does not be solved then all our efferts and work will not have any sound and it will not encourage arabic webmasters to try it

So I want to have this problem to reach all the YaBB  programmers and designers as soon as possible ...
thank you
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2009 at 2:35pm by Jet Li »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 9:25pm
Post Tools

Basically, to change everything from 'left to right' to 'right to left' you'll just have to add: dir="rtl" to your 'html' tag:

In "default.html" find:

Code
Select All
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> 

and change it to:

Code
Select All
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="rtl"> 

IP Logged

alkutob
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Registering using Arabic alphabetical characters
Oct 10th, 2009 at 8:07pm
Post Tools
I hope from the Admins in YaBB support center to solve some problems  in YaBB3 ..
The major problem to solve is to accept registeration using the arabic alphabetical characters and to solve the right to left direction in the style

thank you
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2009 at 8:08pm by alkutob »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top