Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Adding Social Networking Functions In Y3 (Read 8,428 times)
Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Adding Social Networking Functions In Y3
Nov 27th, 2009 at 11:29am
Post Tools
Given the prominence of sites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and the like... it might be a good idea to look at how YaBB 3 could embrace "being social".

Maybe like Facebook & Twitter buttons, followed by a share button that offers a drop down menu of a good selection of sharing sites.  This is pretty common on most Web 2.0 sites, but haven't seen it on many forums yet... this could make Y3 more social friendly than the other forums, and put it ahead of the curve.  Would be good to see a share function available for posts and topics... maybe other parts YaBB.

Any ideas or thoughts?  Let's see what we can flesh out in making Y3 more "social". Smiley

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Adding Social Networking Functions In Y3
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 4:08pm
Post Tools
We now have several MODs now that add social site buttons to the YaBB forum

IP Logged

Doherty

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 3:29am
Post Tools
Not only have I added twitter and facebook pages for my YaBB 2.4 forum I have added social bookmark buttons to share on each thread post.
I have also, plugged the rss feed from the forum to a twitter bot that tweets post from the forums every 3 hours. ( has doubled my traffic.)

A module that would let the YaBB 3 forum ad a [register with your facebook account] would be epic.
another BBS (I won't name) has a mod in beta testing now with this feature but they have not worked out all the bugs yet.

IP Logged

Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 2:43pm
Post Tools
That is the intent of this topic... talking about ideas on how to build hooks into Y3 for the Facebook, Twitter and other social API's.  How to make Y3 social "friendly" from stock, not from an add-on mod.

Not just a profile link (which is good), but also share and post options.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:45pm
Post Tools
There's an really big elephant in the room here:

'Push' social networking (as long as it does not rely on 3rd party aggregation) will work for the most part with closed or open forum systems.  'Push' here means that your content is 'repeated' by way of a plugin/addin to a 3rd party publication system.  Linkbacks will be a problem for pushes from closed (member only) boards.

'Pull' social networking (for the most part) does not work at all on closed boards, ONLY on open boards.  NOTE I said boards, not forums.

This is the source of the many 'issues' with Yabb's RSS (and that of other forums that have both member areas and open areas) I have answered here (and elsewhere) many times:  Authentication.

In fact, the logic will probably need to check the board's status before offering up linking/publication options.

Everyone needs to carefuly couch YaBB user expectations in the documentation as well. 

Just my 2 cents on this.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 1:15pm
Post Tools
I think being able to add people as friends on those sites from buttons here is one good idea.

I'd also like to see the "user text" in the profile become a "Quote or Status" and have a box on the top of the forum where you can change it quickly at will like Facebook lets you do.  It may not be possible, but perhaps this can even be linked to a site like Facebook where it updates your thing there too.

We need to embrace the mobile site lo-fidelity version of the forum for easier and fit phone browser access.

We need to look into options to allow mobile phone uploads to attach images to posts (like the Facebook for BB app does if anyone else uses that).

Another thing we need to look into is what makes Facebook and Twitter so popular.  We need to learn from them and make YaBB similar in ways because that will keep someone coming back to a site's forum if it works in the same manner and has the same "awesomeness".
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2010 at 1:16pm by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

Doherty

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:20pm
Post Tools
Jonb,

I have a twitter bot and a facebook fanpage for my YaBB 2.4 forum.
The RSS from YaBB as it works now will not pull the members only board or hidden boards I have on the recent post feed. A very good feature. If YaBB 3 RSS works in the same manner should work pretty well.

Maybe a feature to disable RSS per board in board settings might be a good idea as well.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 1:14am
Post Tools
FEI  Here is the Official YaBB Software Facebook Page

Doherty wrote on Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:20pm:
Maybe a feature to disable RSS per board in board settings might be a good idea as well.

See this MOD for RSS specifing http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257193523
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2010 at 1:26am by »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 3:57pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 1:15pm:
Another thing we need to look into is what makes Facebook and Twitter so popular.

why its (kiss) keep it simple stupid and the most used app on facebook and why most ppl i know use it is the ajax real time chat then the games and Twitter is real time chat and im shore that is why most ppl are on them as well
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2010 at 3:59pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 7:34pm
Post Tools
@ Devs - Bump

IP Logged

Tysonmm
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 2:42am
Post Tools
I use www.twitterfeed.com
(must enable rss feed in admin)

It pulls posts based on how often and how many new posts at my preference.

I also have a rotating banner on the top page that rotates members that have business's along with an "Follow me on Twitter" and Join Our Facebook Group" banner using the site news function.

If interested,  you can view the following information links as an example.

Site:  www.NWForddiesels.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/NWFordDiesels  (all 8000+ posts are automated through twitterfeed.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top