Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Thanks for YaBB! (Read 5,234 times)
TNL
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Thanks for YaBB!
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 5:28pm
Post Tools
yeah thanks

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 5:15pm
Post Tools
Outumuro wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 10:39am:
Ballpark... for a relatively busy forum, at least 2g of RAM.

On a dedicated server, 2g should be more than enough... but likely has more than that.  On a shared server, 2g would depend on how the share resources are configured.  On a VPS (Virtual Private Server, a shared server that allocates resources similar to a dedicated server), 2g would normally be fine... depending on how the VPS is configured.

The biggest complaints made about YaBB is the number of CPU cycles being used... even though there are other forums with SQL databases that can really chew up the CPU cycles too.  Usually these issues come up on older servers with not RAM, but even an older server with plenty of RAM can run decently.

Thanks for the advice.  My virtual machine is currently only running with 1Gb ram allocated to it, so maybe I need to up this slightly.

What I have started to suffer with in the last 2 or 3 weeks what seems to be a single YaBB.pl process taking its time to process, but almost as if its blocking further YaBB.pl's from running, so they start backing up behind it.  I can get to about 130 YaBB processes running simultaneously before the server keels over completely.

But its as if that first one is blocking the others from running, as as soon as that first one completes (or I kill it), then all the others are immediately processed within a second or 2.

When it happens, CPU usage is normally around 80% kernel, 20% user. Not a huge amount of disk activity.

My normal baseline is around 2% kernel, 20% user.

IP Logged

Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 10:39am
Post Tools
Ballpark... for a relatively busy forum, at least 2g of RAM.

On a dedicated server, 2g should be more than enough... but likely has more than that.  On a shared server, 2g would depend on how the share resources are configured.  On a VPS (Virtual Private Server, a shared server that allocates resources similar to a dedicated server), 2g would normally be fine... depending on how the VPS is configured.

The biggest complaints made about YaBB is the number of CPU cycles being used... even though there are other forums with SQL databases that can really chew up the CPU cycles too.  Usually these issues come up on older servers with not RAM, but even an older server with plenty of RAM can run decently.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 3:26pm
Post Tools
Outumuro wrote on Feb 16th, 2010 at 9:57pm:
Hi TB,

From my experience, the single biggest factor on YaBB's scalability is... the quantity of server memory.  Certainly components & configurations make a difference, but memory makes the most.

Possibly. I guess more memory=more caching (at the OS level)=less disk thrashing.

As a ballpark figure, how much memory do you think I should have in my server to successfully run my site?

IP Logged

Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 9:57pm
Post Tools
Hi TB,

From my experience, the single biggest factor on YaBB's scalability is... the quantity of server memory.  Certainly components & configurations make a difference, but memory makes the most.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 9:29am
Post Tools
YaBB is indeed a great bit of software.  Whether or not its the best forum software does depend on your circumstances, which is why I run all my different forums on different software, as each has its own particular strengths.

Certainly, the busiest forum I run is based on YaBB - http://www.omegaowners.com - and it runs that very well.  The flat file structure of YaBB has some excellent advantages for that particular site, and I've written lots of scripts that read, manipulate, and report on the contents of those files.  Additionally, I have scripts that create Google sitemaps, perform hourly backups etc etc, all of which would kill a modest (ie, same resources I've given to YaBB) MySQL server.

The downside of the flat file structure is how well it scales, which I think I may be approaching its limits - unless anyone else can show otherwise?

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 10:27pm
Post Tools
Thanks for using YaBB.  I'm glad the online help assisted you with updating.

IP Logged

Liviu Lalescu
YaBB Newcomer

Thanks for YaBB!
Jan 19th, 2010 at 7:44pm
Post Tools
Hello!

I firstly got my eyes on YaBB from the cPanel. The installation was very easy.

A few months after my first installation, I wanted to update. Unfortunately, my cPanel has an old version of YaBB. My host promotes the use of other bulletin boards, like phpBB or SMF, in the detriment of YaBB, I don't know why (maybe they think YaBB consumes more resources?).

The update was not easy, for a beginner in this field. But I read many online help pages and Q/A and I finally succeeded.

YaBB is a very good software. I am not the perfect critic eye, because I didn't use other forum software, but from other forums I saw, YaBB seems the nicest. One thing I like is that it uses the entire space of the page (it is as wide as my screen), unlike other forum software. I also like that everything is text based (I mean the boards and messages are saved as text files on the server). I am not sure if this is the best practice - I have no experience with the server optimization - but I like it, because it means other programs can read these text files. Also I like the default aspect.

YaBB has everything I need: attachments, registration with scrambled text and e-mail confirmation, notifications by e-mail. Through my forum I managed to have a very fruitful collaboration with the users of my software.

My forum address is on: http://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/forum/ (I am a free software developer and it is about the software I work on). I do not know if it is a good thing to put the address of my forum here. If not, I ask a moderator to remove it. I just thought you might want to add it to your collection.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top