Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic [Minor] add to Quick-Guide ? (Read 3,738 times)
Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Re: [Minor] add to Quick-Guide ?
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 1:50pm
Post Tools
New
Quick-Guide/English/extras/troubleshooting.html
Quick-Guide/English/extras/upgradeY2.html

in CVS/SVN.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2010 at 1:53pm by Jet Li »  

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2010 at 4:42pm
Post Tools
Now the Codex is fixed, But the Quick-Guide STILL needs fixed as above.

We do NOT want users to be using relative paths.  That's why the Setup automatically inserts Absolute Paths where needed.

Can you imagine, a user having a facedir error and replacing all Absolute Paths with Relative (especially if he doesn't use the standard folder install ... Ouch !)

There are a LOT of Codex "direct" links to posts in the Quick-Guide ... which is a BAD thing.  What happens down the road, if some of the talk becomes reality and it becomes a wiki or a wordpress codex ... a whole lot of work rewriting, instead of just a direct link to a Codex site.
  Users getting "lost" when going to the Codex ???  They aren't familiar with a forum/cats, boards and threads ???  Don't know how to use Search in YaBB ??  Can't read ? mmmmmm they got more problems than an error.

Edited:
You know ... we have actually done a misservice to users  by providing direct links (even here), we should state, " See the YaBB Codex -Error board for your solution".   Like see the book and this chapter.  Maybe then users would know "how" to use the Codex, better.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2010 at 4:24pm by »  

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2010 at 11:19am
Post Tools
Well that's in the Codex in the Errors board.  It is word-for-word the same as the information you want to take out.

I'm just suggesting we might want to fix that in the Codex and then provide a direct link to that topic.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2010 at 2:36am
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on May 6th, 2010 at 12:37am:
find the same information you are taking out of the Quick Guide.

I sure hope not !  relative paths ?  Who is recommending these ???

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2010 at 12:37am
Post Tools
Then the user can go here and find the same information you are taking out of the Quick Guide.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2010 at 11:38pm
Post Tools
Quote:
FAQ's, Errors, and General Help

what's the url for this ??   Cheesy

IP Logged

LoneWebSurfer
Past Team Members

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2010 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
alot of users get lost in the codex...especially if they are new to it, maybe we can have links to topics of the codex instead of just a link to the codex itself..

Closed all my sites due to lack of Internet access
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #1 - May 1st, 2010 at 4:28am
Post Tools
   This displays relative Dirs for Paths, we do NOT recommend their use, only Absolute Dirs for Path Settings.

troubleshooting.html

Remove
Quote:
      <h4 style="font-size:13px;margin-bottom:-5px;">When I try to edit my profile, I get a message about "$facesdir" being wrong.</h4>
      <p>In short, this messages is saying that the path you entered for YaBB's avatar directory is incorrect and it cannot find the folder. To fix this, enter your Admin Center and under "Forum Configuration", click on the link titled "Path Settings". Below, you will find several common paths that may fix this problem.</p>
      <ul>
        <li style="padding-bottom:3px;">../../yabbfiles/avatars</li>
        <li style="padding-bottom:3px;">../../public_html/yabbfiles/avatars</li>
        <li style="padding-bottom:3px;">../../www/public_html/YaBBImages/avatars</li>
        <li style="padding-bottom:3px;">../../www/YaBBImages/avatars</li>
      </ul>
      <p>The exact path depends on where you installed the /yabbfiles directory. Remember, ../../ tells YaBB to "<i>go two steps up in the directory tree, then look for the folder</i>" where as ../ tells YaBB to go up only one step and ./ tells to look in the current directory. The current directory is the directory where the YaBB.pl file is installed.</p>

replace with:
Quote:
      <h4 style="font-size:13px;margin-bottom:-5px;">FAQ's, Errors, and General Help</h4>
      <p> Go to the <a href="http://codex.yabbforum.com/YaBB.pl><b><u>YaBB Codex</u></b></a></p>

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

[Minor] add to Quick-Guide ?
Feb 19th, 2010 at 5:08pm
Post Tools
either part or whole ...

Note: doing ANY upgrade, it is very important to change the install date in the Admin Center > Forum Settings to a date and time "before" the older forums oldest member registration.  If not done, Search will not function and the possibility of causing ex-members being generated.

Question .. doing above negatively effect this http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1243160632/11

upgradeY2.html
Quote:
        <li>Log in your new forum as Administrator with the Admin username and password you used in your old forum and go <u>directy</u> to the "Admin Center" =&gt; "Forum Settings". Save this page once with the Button at the bottom.</li>
        <li>Then go to "Admin Center" =&gt; "Maintenance Controls" and <b>run the "Rebuild Notifications Files" first!</b><br />Now run the other Maintenance Controls starting with "Rebuild Message Index" going through until "Rebuild Members History."</li>

replace with:
Quote:
        <li>Log in your new forum as Administrator with the Admin username and password you used in your old forum and go <u>directy</u> to the "Admin Center" =&gt; "Forum Settings".<br />  Note: doing ANY upgrade, it is very important to change the install date in the Admin Center > Forum Settings to a date and time "before" the older forums oldest member registration.  If not done, Search will not function and the possibility of causing ex-members being generated. Save this page once with the Button at the bottom.</li>
        <li>Then go to "Admin Center" =&gt; "Maintenance Controls" and <b>run the "Rebuild Notifications Files" first!</b><br />Now run the other Maintenance Controls starting with "Rebuild Message Index" going through "Rebuild Members History."</li>
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2010 at 4:38pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top