Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) YaBB hanging my GoDaddy server with Mac clients (Read 7,909 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: YaBB hanging my GoDaddy server with Mac clients
Reply #22 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:28am
Post Tools
Good Luck to your forum in its new home...

I saw a GOOD JOKE (posted among websmasters) about GoDaddy --

"I'll host with them when Danica Patrick shows at my front door"  Cheesy

My sentiments exactly!

I recently watched a debacle (non YaBB) unfold with their (GoDaddy's) clueless 'concierges' trying to fix a DNS related issue.  I had to explain what a Canonical hostname was and why they cannot always be resolved.

While you are at it avoid 1and1 like the plague also (same deal - lots of advertising for cheap crap) - Hey, kinda reminds you of the old AOL, doesn't it???.

Bad bad... JonB  tsk, tsk calling a spade a spade...  Roll Eyes

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #21 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 6:22pm
Post Tools
UPDATE!!!
I finally left GoDaddy and went to BlueHost. The problem is gone.
Should have done it years ago.

Bottom line, avoid GoDaddy. It'll run a perl or php widget, but clobbers you if you need to use more server. Their support people have no clue about this. This was shared Linux hosting/dedicated IP. I don't know the situation for running a dedicating box.

Thanks for the support!

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 5:06pm
Post Tools
Good luck

IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #19 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 4:15pm
Post Tools
Yep, I used a frameset to hold the two boards. I hadn't noticed that frames were a depreciated html feature. Apart from our YaBB boards, I haven't used them in our site in years -- clunky and bad for SEO. It was just a lazy way to get two boards up side-by-side for my tiny group of users.

I should have suspected something was up with framesets. Dreamweaver behaves strangely with them, so I've usually use a text editor (BBedit, btw) to work on my YaBB frameset. One of the reasons I'd switched back to Safari (from Firefox) was for Safari's great integration of RSS. Perhaps Apple made some compromises with its support of RSS last fall.

I'll have to switch to iframes. I think I will try using the RSS versions of my boards without frames for awhile, just to see if I can generate the error again. Get framesets out of the picture.

Thanks for the comment.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 3:21pm
Post Tools
  Question ... your using "frames", if so this "might" be a problem, frames are depreciated in all the new browsers, they can handle straight html but cause hangs or delays in browsers.   Iframes seem to handle any content much better and faster.

IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Is RSS a factor??
Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 7:31am
Post Tools
I recently changed the way I access our YaBB boards, and it seems to be helping.

I used to use the RSS feature so that I could see more topics in one screen. We kept RSS feeds from two boards on separate frames in an html frameset. I'd select a project from the RSS listing on one or both frames and then add or edit an item in the message thread. As of about 10 months ago I started getting crashes, with server hang for my normal pages, after hitting the "save" button.

Friday, I decided to change the frame contents away from the RSS feeds, and back to the normal board. Since doing that, I've noticed I don't get the server hangs. At least I haven't yet. I can even edit a post and click "save" right away and not get the server crash.

Does Safari do something funky with RSS that's messing me up? Is it the RSS part that's getting wrapped around the axle?

I'll keep looking with my setup as it is now and post what I see.

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 8:44am
Post Tools
The only other thing that I can think of is, if goDaddy is as bad as the iTunes blog depicts and the available bandwidth is heavily fluctuating, then you and others may be suffering modem lag while it re-negotiates the speed before uploading the data.

Dunno! Too many other factors involved to say for sure; maybe tracert will expose something.  Undecided

I make mistakes - That's how I learn.
IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 7:52am
Post Tools
That script that can be seen hitting the server is my slideshow script, updating the image source in a slideshow at about that rate (depending on the page). Once all the images have been cached, or you leave that page, the requests stop. I've had that script on the site for several years. I'm not too suspicious of those requests, mainly because we're not a heavily visited site (of course i can't speak for my neighbors on the server).

We have GoDaddy because it is "ok" and cheap, but I do know that it's frequently slow, and I'm afraid to put too much "dynamic" content on there full-time for our regular users for that reason. Some SSI and tiny amounts of PHP may be it for me there.

My problem is associated with writing new posts or editing existing ones. I've never seen it happen from my just viewing different topics, no matter how quickly I hop around. It's as if something isn't fully "baked" from the editing of the text field when I've hit "save", and the perl script or the server at some lower level just chokes in it.

I can't imagine I'm the only YaBB user on shared hosting (or GoDaddy even) who has Mac members. I'd expect to hear of more problems than just mine. Still, I don't see how the server "cares" how fast I was typing into a form field, and how quickly I hit the save or post button. It just sees what was there the moment I hit the button, right? If there's some processing of my typed text "on the fly" in the browser before it gets packaged up and sent to the server, then I guess it's possible for something to be malformed in some way going out.

Working from that assumption, or perhaps superstition,  after typing I usually leave the message field and get the focus on the subject field, then count to five, after posting or editing, before hitting the save/post button. I figure is there's some "onchange" handling going on, 5 secs is more than enough time for it to get done. That has worked so far for me, but I forget sometimes.

Enough rambling on things I know so little about. I will try traceroute and ping during an "event" -- maybe tomorrow sometime --  and let folks know what I find out.

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 11:08pm
Post Tools
There seems to be more of this type of complaint on Google.  Cry

iThemes Doesn’t Recommend GoDaddy Hosting, Here’s Why - Saturday, March 27th 2010

Quote:
People who know us or watch our iThemes.tv broadcasts know that we are very anti-GoDaddy hosting. Typically, we keep our commentary about their terrible hosting limited to forum topics, broadcasts, or in-person discussions, but I’ve had enough. I want to call out GoDaddy hosting for their terrible service and support, and I’d very much like to see one of two different outcomes result from this post:

1.All our customers stop using GoDaddy so we don’t have to waste our time fine-tuning our code to work around their horrible setup.

2.GoDaddy finally gets serious about hosting by improving their servers and server infrastructure, providing users with a real control panel, ceasing to massively oversell their servers (this is why most GoDaddy-hosted sites are so slow), and providing real support that doesn’t answer every problem with “you need to upgrade to a dedicated server”.

Full Blog Here!
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:26am by Lopa »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 3:59pm
Post Tools
@ Lopa has some good points there.

When accessing your "main" site, not the forum page.  On the bottom of the browser window bar, you can see a constant (every second) script poll.  Something is repeating/updating often ! 
    mmm doesn't seem to happen each time you access...... but that constant polling is not helping.

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 10:08am
Post Tools
ddc wrote on Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:46pm:
I don't know if it's a true server hang, other than the fact that my other users at other locations (we only have a few users, but in different cities/countries and ISPs) find that our YaBB boards, as well as static pages on our site, are all unavailable for several minutes.

Interesting to say the least, but it could be a route problem or even godaddy itself.  Undecided

I don't know what the equivalent for MAC is but for WIN it's ping and tracert?

Assuming it's also tracert for MAC, try that from the command prompt to your domain; and if you need to log it try (used for WIN) tracert "yourdomain" > c:\tracert.txt

Should put the results to file on your C:\ drive. But be patient until it finishes, because you wont be seeing it while it's writing to file.

Dunno! But you should be able to trace the route and hopefully expose where the lag is; if and when you have the problem again.  Wink

I also agree with the others - Shared IP's > Available Bandwidth > Depends on how many people are connected to the server at any one time.  Or more so, how many servers they actually have to carry the load. Cry
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2010 at 10:37am by Lopa »  

IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:59am
Post Tools
I just set up a test category and board, and have set up self registration for testing.

http://www.megalodon.com/megablog/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl

I logged out and then registered from scratch and tried to get a failure on the test board. I made three topics in the test board, to see if I could get a hang. I did succeed in about 3 to five minutes, after several tries.  I did it by typing fairly fast into a post and then quickly hitting Save.

I am using a PowerBook G4, 1.67 GHz, (on wifi), MacOS 10.5.8
Safari Version 4.0.5 (5531.22.7)

That pretty much is the scenario -- fairly fast typing, hit save quickly thereafter, then get that bad feeling as I see the server is not responding. When it comes back, the changes I have made or the new topic has not been posted.

Today it happened on a MacPro (2x2.66GHz Intel), same local network (but this one via ethernet) with same Safari rev.

And as I said earlier, it has happened with Firefox, but not as frequently.

I started error logging (after talking with GoDaddy support). Generated a server "hang" but saw nothing on the error log. Sent a few bad URKL requests and saw them show up on the log. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of report.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 12:34am
Post Tools
ddc wrote on Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:46pm:
find that our YaBB boards, as well as static pages on our site,

This tells us, it is a server delay ... since everything that is run, delays, not just YaBB.

Quote:
ddc .. What is the url to your forum ?

If you need further help or actually further testing, supply above.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2010 at 12:37am by »  

IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:46pm
Post Tools
I'm sorry I've been so slow to respond. I will try to get better at this.

I don't know if it's a true server hang, other than the fact that my other users at other locations (we only have a few users, but in different cities/countries and ISPs) find that our YaBB boards, as well as static pages on our site, are all unavailable for several minutes.

Not once have they had the server hang due to their interaction with YaBB -- only mine, and I'm the only Mac user.

I'm not very server-savvy, so I'm not too sure what to look for in a server log, or where to look. I will call GoDaddy support again as soon as I can. When I did last month, there was not much they had to offer. I'll try again though.

I started to create a separate board for testing use. I will finish that asap and post again.

Again, sorry for the delays.

IP Logged

Devonshire Expat
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 11:37am
Post Tools
ddc wrote on Apr 1st, 2010 at 7:29pm:
Thanks again for the responses

...but you don't appear to have responded to the queries that have been put to you, ddc!

Do you have access to server logs? What's actually being requested when you get the server 'hangs'? Can you make changes to the logging level? What is your YaBB site's URL? Have you asked for a server error report?

If you wish to have assistance from the likes of Captain John or JonB, it would be useful to have the answers to those (and the other) questions, rather than keep going on about Safari on the Mac. Have you, for example, tried Safari on a PC and, if so, what was the result? I think you'll find that people are keen to help, not least because it might highlight minor issues with either a browser or with YaBB or with a hosting service!

Jan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top