Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) YaBB hanging my GoDaddy server with Mac clients (Read 8,405 times)
ddc
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB hanging my GoDaddy server with Mac clients
Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:11pm
Post Tools
This is a strange problem:

If a mac browser (Safari or Firefox) is used to interact with YaBB, we get frequent server hangs.

This usually happens if I'm creating a new topic, or making edits to a post on a topic. Windows users aren't getting this problem at all.

I have used YaBB for about 5 years. This problem started out of the blue (as far as I know) about two months ago, with yabb 2.2. In an effort to fix this problem, I upgraded to 2.4 last week. The upgrade is nice, but it hasn't helped the problem.

We're running our site on GoDaddy's shared Linux hosting, and have for several years now. Nothing I know of has changed there. Mac rev is 10.5.8 on both machines I have seen this happen on (one intel and one pawerPC).

I'm getting kind of frantic. Is there anything about how Mac interacts with YaBB that might be causing this problem?

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: YaBB hanging my GoDaddy server with Mac clients
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 9:20pm
Post Tools
mmmm not familiar with Mac's (jonb is, might PM him) but possibly java ?  We are adding more and more java scripts and Ajax to YaBB (increases speed and lessens server resource needs).

IP Logged

Devonshire Expat
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:46pm
Post Tools
ddc wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:11pm:
Is there anything about how Mac interacts with YaBB that might be causing this problem?

As the owner of 4 Macs, one of which is my server (running YaBB2.4 very successfully), I find it hard to believe that this is purely a Mac fault, as it isn't the Mac that 'interacts' with YaBB but the browser in use at the time. Captain John's suggestion that javascript might be the answer is a possibility, but unlikely, as javascript on the Mac is well integrated. Do you have access to the server logs? It would be useful to know what the Mac browsers in question are sending to the server when these hang-ups occur. Are there any other symptoms evident in the YaBB logs? Is there any consistency in what is being viewed on the Mac when the hang-up occurs?
Edited:
Is your site private? How do you know that other Macs aren't being used to look at your site - without any problems?!

Jan
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:49pm by Devonshire Expat »  
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 1:45am
Post Tools
Devonshire Expat wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:46pm:
I find it hard to believe that this is purely a Mac fault, as it isn't the Mac that 'interacts' with YaBB but the browser in use at the time.

he stated:
ddc wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:11pm:
If a mac browser (Safari or Firefox) is used to interact with YaBB,

so browser we know it is (not YaBB).

surprises me Safari is mentioned, due to one of our beta testers use that one.

Devonshire Expat wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:46pm:
javascript on the Mac is well integrated.

this I didn't know (I'm a PC  Cheesy )

ddc ..     What is the url to your forum ?

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 8:33pm
Post Tools
I agree with JanC.  I don't think this is about the workstation OS at all, and maybe not the browsers even.

I would look at the 'user profile' -- i.e What are the problem accounts/users attemtpting to do when YaBB goes nuts?  Are they 'power users of the forum'?  Maybe its a server platform issue, as in 'what did the server error logs say'?

Note: He says its causing 'server hangs'...   YaBB runs on HTTP requests (basically) - Java executes at the client side -

GoDaddy is known for low prices and tightly packed servers on those low price plans.  If the domain and YaBB are hosted on one of their lowcost servers, it could be disk, memory, utilization or swap space related easily.

You might look at your disk quota.  many times you can exceed disk quotas temporarily when doing certain kinds of operations, when you get 'close'.  If its a shared host, all the other domains are using the same swapspace and drive allocation (whether physical or virtual).  Every host that says 'unlimited disk space or unlimited bandwidth' should have their tongues cut out -- LOL.  There is no such thing. (I'm not saying GoDaddy made that claim)

Good Luck
Smiley

Edited:
Have you asked for a server error report?
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2010 at 8:37pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 7:29pm
Post Tools
Thanks for all the replies.

I switched to Firefox for awhile, and have noticed that the problem mostly went away. I kind of stayed on a watch and see mode, but tried to be careful not to do too many things at once, for fear of overloading the server (I understand it's cheap hosting, but we need to make do with it). Nevertheless, we've been on the same hosting for several years, and this only started happening several months ago.

Well, yesterday I decided to switch back to Safari (faster page loading on Mac and some other features I was needing). And now the problem has come back. Twice today already. Our server hangs, not responding to any requests (yabb or no).

I understand that Safari is pretty fast at rendering out pages, but I don't know how it does it. It's certainly faster at it than Firefox. Is it possible that Safari is sending out requests differently -- maybe bundled in some unique way -- that overloads wimpy hosting like mine?

I get the problem mainly editing posts:
The boards we use I can't share, so I'll set up a test board a little later and post here when it's up.

Thanks again for the responses.

IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 7:32pm
Post Tools
Funny, I said initially that I got the problem with Firefox as well as Safari. I think that my change of behavior-slowing down how quickly I tried to operate the board, editing, etc. might be what made Firefox work so much better over this month or so.

Thing is -- I switch back to Safari and I'm getting it again - even trying to be careful. That's where I'm getting my "new" information.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 11:31pm
Post Tools
I have a question (it may have already been answered) - how do you know its a true server hang?

Undecided

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Devonshire Expat
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 11:37am
Post Tools
ddc wrote on Apr 1st, 2010 at 7:29pm:
Thanks again for the responses

...but you don't appear to have responded to the queries that have been put to you, ddc!

Do you have access to server logs? What's actually being requested when you get the server 'hangs'? Can you make changes to the logging level? What is your YaBB site's URL? Have you asked for a server error report?

If you wish to have assistance from the likes of Captain John or JonB, it would be useful to have the answers to those (and the other) questions, rather than keep going on about Safari on the Mac. Have you, for example, tried Safari on a PC and, if so, what was the result? I think you'll find that people are keen to help, not least because it might highlight minor issues with either a browser or with YaBB or with a hosting service!

Jan

IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:46pm
Post Tools
I'm sorry I've been so slow to respond. I will try to get better at this.

I don't know if it's a true server hang, other than the fact that my other users at other locations (we only have a few users, but in different cities/countries and ISPs) find that our YaBB boards, as well as static pages on our site, are all unavailable for several minutes.

Not once have they had the server hang due to their interaction with YaBB -- only mine, and I'm the only Mac user.

I'm not very server-savvy, so I'm not too sure what to look for in a server log, or where to look. I will call GoDaddy support again as soon as I can. When I did last month, there was not much they had to offer. I'll try again though.

I started to create a separate board for testing use. I will finish that asap and post again.

Again, sorry for the delays.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 12:34am
Post Tools
ddc wrote on Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:46pm:
find that our YaBB boards, as well as static pages on our site,

This tells us, it is a server delay ... since everything that is run, delays, not just YaBB.

Quote:
ddc .. What is the url to your forum ?

If you need further help or actually further testing, supply above.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2010 at 12:37am by »  

IP Logged

ddc
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:59am
Post Tools
I just set up a test category and board, and have set up self registration for testing.

http://www.megalodon.com/megablog/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl

I logged out and then registered from scratch and tried to get a failure on the test board. I made three topics in the test board, to see if I could get a hang. I did succeed in about 3 to five minutes, after several tries.  I did it by typing fairly fast into a post and then quickly hitting Save.

I am using a PowerBook G4, 1.67 GHz, (on wifi), MacOS 10.5.8
Safari Version 4.0.5 (5531.22.7)

That pretty much is the scenario -- fairly fast typing, hit save quickly thereafter, then get that bad feeling as I see the server is not responding. When it comes back, the changes I have made or the new topic has not been posted.

Today it happened on a MacPro (2x2.66GHz Intel), same local network (but this one via ethernet) with same Safari rev.

And as I said earlier, it has happened with Firefox, but not as frequently.

I started error logging (after talking with GoDaddy support). Generated a server "hang" but saw nothing on the error log. Sent a few bad URKL requests and saw them show up on the log. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of report.

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 10:08am
Post Tools
ddc wrote on Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:46pm:
I don't know if it's a true server hang, other than the fact that my other users at other locations (we only have a few users, but in different cities/countries and ISPs) find that our YaBB boards, as well as static pages on our site, are all unavailable for several minutes.

Interesting to say the least, but it could be a route problem or even godaddy itself.  Undecided

I don't know what the equivalent for MAC is but for WIN it's ping and tracert?

Assuming it's also tracert for MAC, try that from the command prompt to your domain; and if you need to log it try (used for WIN) tracert "yourdomain" > c:\tracert.txt

Should put the results to file on your C:\ drive. But be patient until it finishes, because you wont be seeing it while it's writing to file.

Dunno! But you should be able to trace the route and hopefully expose where the lag is; if and when you have the problem again.  Wink

I also agree with the others - Shared IP's > Available Bandwidth > Depends on how many people are connected to the server at any one time.  Or more so, how many servers they actually have to carry the load. Cry
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2010 at 10:37am by Lopa »  

I make mistakes - That's how I learn.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 3:59pm
Post Tools
@ Lopa has some good points there.

When accessing your "main" site, not the forum page.  On the bottom of the browser window bar, you can see a constant (every second) script poll.  Something is repeating/updating often ! 
    mmm doesn't seem to happen each time you access...... but that constant polling is not helping.

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 11:08pm
Post Tools
There seems to be more of this type of complaint on Google.  Cry

iThemes Doesn’t Recommend GoDaddy Hosting, Here’s Why - Saturday, March 27th 2010

Quote:
People who know us or watch our iThemes.tv broadcasts know that we are very anti-GoDaddy hosting. Typically, we keep our commentary about their terrible hosting limited to forum topics, broadcasts, or in-person discussions, but I’ve had enough. I want to call out GoDaddy hosting for their terrible service and support, and I’d very much like to see one of two different outcomes result from this post:

1.All our customers stop using GoDaddy so we don’t have to waste our time fine-tuning our code to work around their horrible setup.

2.GoDaddy finally gets serious about hosting by improving their servers and server infrastructure, providing users with a real control panel, ceasing to massively oversell their servers (this is why most GoDaddy-hosted sites are so slow), and providing real support that doesn’t answer every problem with “you need to upgrade to a dedicated server”.

Full Blog Here!
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:26am by Lopa »  

I make mistakes - That's how I learn.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top