Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic YaBB 3 and Mysql max questions (Read 4,834 times)
Doherty

YaBB 3 and Mysql max questions
Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:09pm
Post Tools
Recently I ran into a problem with MYSQL with a particular Joomla add on.

Almost all shared host have a limit of how many questions the site can query the database in an hour.
My host sets the limit at 75,000 max questions per hour. If i need more max questions I could pay for more. Some host may even be less.

Since YaBB 3 will use MySQL I just wanted to know if this has been addressed by the team?
Most people that use YaBB are on host servers where max questions may become an issue for them.
One of the things I do like about YaBB 2.4 is that its not using MySQL and I do not have to worry about those sorts of issues.
I am warry of converting to MySQL type forums until I have a better understanding of these sorts of issues.

Thanks,
* Doherty

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Re: YaBB 3 and Mysql max questions
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 11:16pm
Post Tools
YaBB 3 will support file based storage in addition to MySQL. You shouldn't have to worry about this if you choose to use file storage.

-- Matt Siegman 8) Wish List

IP Logged

Doherty

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 4:21pm
Post Tools
Should be good. I just am nervous about MySQL since a few months ago, I crashed my MySQL database. Tech support had no idea what to do. Had to totally delete the database and start over. Thank Goodness my YaBB forum was using file based and was not affected by the crash. While MySQL may be a more efficient way to store data, when it crashes, it crashes hard.
Will certainly make use of regular backups with anything that touches the Mysql database from now on.

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 7:22pm
Post Tools
MyISAM tables are pretty susceptible to disk problems, I've seen. InnoDB tables seem a bit more resilient, but they have other issues.

It's always a good idea to do at least a weekly dump of your database, possible more frequent if the board is critical or heavily used. It is also a good to backup the disk files that your current board uses. Don't trust your data to your webhost, take steps to pretect the data yourself.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 10:59am
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 7:22pm:
MyISAM tables are pretty susceptible to disk problems, I've seen. InnoDB tables seem a bit more resilient, but they have other issues.

It's always a good idea to do at least a weekly dump of your database, possible more frequent if the board is critical or heavily used. It is also a good to backup the disk files that your current board uses. Don't trust your data to your webhost, take steps to pretect the data yourself.

My current (flat file) YaBB is backed up hourly via cron. This has managed to get me out of trouble a few times Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt Siegman
YaBB Legends (Inactive)

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 4:39pm
Post Tools
Wow, hourly--that's impressive! Well, I think you're covered then.

IP Logged

Spikecity
Requiescat In Pace

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2010 at 9:34pm
Post Tools
Matt Siegman wrote on Apr 9th, 2010 at 4:39pm:
Wow, hourly--that's impressive! Well, I think you're covered then.

With 13.500 members and 175.000 messages in a lot of threads, making hourly CRON backups is almost a must.
Allthough we run a private virtual server on very good hardware, we do not want to rely on the nightly backup from our hosts as daily post volume is just to high and important to loose 24 hours of it in a worse case scenario.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top