Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Unable to open ./Messages/.txt (Read 1,854 times)
Jennie123

Unable to open ./Messages/.txt
Apr 23rd, 2010 at 5:38pm
Post Tools
Hello,
My visitors cannot access our forums. They get "Unable to open ./Messages/.txtVerbose: No such file or directory" for every board. The first time it happened this morning, I ran all the forum maintenance functions, and it seemed to fix it. Then it happened again about an hour later. So I ran the maintenence functions again, which fixed it, but the problem came back minutes later.

I checked the error logs, and it seems this was immediately preceded by a series of "ALERT!! Form Spoofing Detected coming from IP address" errors from various, non-related IPs.

Checked my server error log, and nothing looks out of place.

Running v 2.4 with zero mods.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Unable to open ./Messages/.txt
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 7:37pm
Post Tools
  Turn a troubleshooting ticket into your host.  Tell them your site is suddenly having trouble writing files and then reading them.
  Ask if they upgraded security or made changes to your server recently.

IP Logged

Jennie123

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 4:07am
Post Tools
Yep, I did, and they point the finger at you guys.

Quote:
I have examined this error in your forums and in the backend.  I rebuilt
the indexes as you indicated and examined your databases.  I don't see any
errors or problems on the server.  I have not changed the security on the
server and you have full root access to the server to make any changes you
need.

I see that the messages folder has 223872 files in it and this could be
contributing to the issue.  When dealing with this number of files in one
folder there can be some serious problems.  You may want to contact the
makers of this script for further assistance with this issue.

So now I have both parties pointing fingers at each other, with no resolution.  If you detect some frustration on my behalf, I hope you understand why.

That said, I've had some of my members claim their Avast anti-virus program has been throwing warnings about trojan threats and attempted virus infections.  I'm guessing it's one of the Google ads on my forums, but not one member can give me any clue as to which one it is.  So I'm at a dead end there as well.

My theory is that this ad contains a script that's causing this problem.  But I have no way to prove it.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2010 at 1:19pm by Jennie123 »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 3:00pm
Post Tools
Oh No .. not pointing a finger (yet).  If you search this forum, you will find hundreds of glitches (like yours) that were diagnosed as Server upgrades and Security changes, lets just get that out of the way first.

Jennie123 wrote on Apr 24th, 2010 at 4:07am:
messages folder has 223872 files in it and this could be
contributing to the issue.When dealing with this number of files in one
folder there can be some serious problems.

"Might" have something to do with it also ... That's HUGE amount of files to read/search.  Ever thought about removing older messages, that are now out of date ?  With that much data on your server disk, your not running out of disk space ?
  Scripts also "might" be using too much server cpu and/or memory.
      Real hard to diagnose or trouble shoot from here, what is the url to your site ?

IP Logged

Jennie123

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 2:05am
Post Tools
It's on a dedicated server, quad core, 750 gigs of space.  So no issues there, which is why I haven't removed any old posts. I have plenty of disk space and CPU remaining.

The problem seems to have disappeared by itself.  I investigated the virus warnings my members were getting, and discovered the Google ad network was just updated yesterday.  I'm guessing they screwed up on their code - or served up an ad with bad code embedded in it - that caused this error.  Since the problem has disappeared without anything changing on my end, that's the only culprit that makes sense.  Given the issue is resolved, it would fathom to reason Google discovered the issue and fixed it.

Appreciate the assistance. It appears it wasn't a YaBB or server issue after all.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2010 at 2:07am by Jennie123 »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 5:46am
Post Tools
Jennie123 wrote on Apr 25th, 2010 at 2:05am:
they screwed up on their code - or served up an ad with bad code embedded in it - that caused this error.

mmmm well glad you got it fixed .... and equally glad you posted it here, never .... heard of an external script effecting writing/reading files (messages), we'll note that !

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2010 at 4:07pm
Post Tools
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top