Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Customizing YaBB (Read 1,642 times)
OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Re: Customizing YaBB
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 6:13am
Post Tools
samjesse wrote on Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:52pm:
After having a bad experience with phpBB MODs, I am looking for a board which either have the things I am looking for or aggravation free customisable.

Much of this depends on your ability to either do or learn how to do.  There are people here who started with no experience with forums and have learned a lot about them, how to change the look and layout, etc.  Sadly, others show up expecting step-by-step instructions on everything and go away frustrated when they find out it takes a little work and time if you want to change the standard format from what it is.

All I can tell you is that there are people here who will help you to learn if you ask questions and are willing to try. 

Quote:
Some Mods I like are:

Freedom to locate the Start New Topic on the top of the forum.

It already is at the top of page of topics for each board.  And yes it can be moved elsewhere.

Convert quoted images to url.

Not sure about that one for all images, but there is a standard feature that allows links for any images in a post that are QUOTED in another post.  In other words, you'll see the original posted image, but any post after that quotes the picture will just show a link to the picture.

topic_restriction (group sees the topic title but no read access).

This is a standard feature in YaBB.  You can select board by board which groups can view only the board name and description (but no posts), if they can view the posts, start a post, reply to a post, or start a poll.

Add_Homepage_Link to the top of the board.

If you right-click on the logo at the top of the page, you will see there is link attached to it.  You can use your own logo and your own link, in fact that's usually the first thing people change on their forums.  Very easy to do.

and few other Mods ...

Quote:
My experience tells me that an update to the board or the Mod likely to break some board functions and installing a Mod MAY work at best.
Is this the case here with YaBB?

No, not by a long shot.  That's not to say every mod is totally bug-free, but the only time I've ever heard of someone causing any kind of destruction on their forum with a Mod is because they 1)Didn't install it per the directions, or 2) Installed a Mod that wasn't compatible with the version of YaBB they were using.

Before ANY Mods, you should always ALWAYS make a backup of your forum.  Then if a Mod does cause some problem, you can just restore from your backup and go ask for help figuring out what went wrong.  Go to BoardMod (link at top of this forum) and pick a mod and read the comments about it.  You will find the Mod writers are pretty quick to fix any errors found in them.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Customizing YaBB
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 2:03am
Post Tools
It would take 3 or 4 pages to tell you the features in the YaBB Software, or how many MODs there are, or how to install a MOD.
  See this url http://www.yabbforum.com/archives.php?currentpage=12
Then go backwards on the numerals 11, 10, 9 etc. to see the Features added over the years, visit www.BoardMOD.org Forum and see what MODs are available,  Read the General info on the YaBB Codex ... download, Install it and see for yourself.

IP Logged

samjesse
YaBB Newcomer

Customizing YaBB
Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:52pm
Post Tools

Hi

After having a bad experience with phpBB MODs, I am looking for a board which either have the things I am looking for or aggravation free customisable.
Some Mods I like are:

Freedom to locate the Start New Topic on the top of the forum.
Convert quoted images to url.
topic_restriction (group sees the topic title but no read access).
Add_Homepage_Link to the top of the board.
and few other Mods ...

My experience tells me that an update to the board or the Mod likely to break some board functions and installing a Mod MAY work at best.
Is this the case here with YaBB?

thx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top