Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Help! My admin password no longer works (Read 2,438 times)
AACT
YaBB Newcomer

Help! My admin password no longer works
May 5th, 2010 at 8:38pm
Post Tools
I was testing (foolish me) the "forgot password?" function and stupidly used my admin account instead of setting up a bogus account and testing that.  I got the new re-set password, tried it, and it didn't work.  I tried logging on again, but the re-set password link sent to me via e-mail won't work anymore (possibly because it was sent when I had the old password).

I can get into YABB 2.1 via FTP, so is there a file on the server that I can access to edit and restore my password? 

I did find the "admin.vars" file, but the password indicated there is very long, so it's probably encrypted. Can I replace it with another, non-encrypted, password?

Any help would be appreciated.  Because we had so much problem with hackers registering automatically, I have to add each member myself--which I can't do without that password.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2010 at 9:10pm by AACT »  

IP Logged

LoneWebSurfer
Past Team Members

Re: Help! My admin password no longer works
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2010 at 9:17pm
Post Tools
you can upload a new admin.var from 2.1 installation zip.. and you login credintials will be set back to default (what it was when you first installed it)

Closed all my sites due to lack of Internet access
IP Logged

AACT
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:02pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the suggestion--which gave me the idea for a slightly different approach.  I copied the first line of the admin.vars file (the encrypted password) from the original installation file, and used it to replace the same line in my own site's admin.vars file.  That worked--I was able to log on as admin with the original default password, then change it back to the admin password I used to have.

IP Logged

LoneWebSurfer
Past Team Members

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:08pm
Post Tools
glad you got it sorted out  Smiley

Closed all my sites due to lack of Internet access
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top