Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ex-members who aren't ex-members (Read 2,770 times)
froggy
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Ex-members who aren't ex-members
Reply #13 - May 8th, 2010 at 9:25pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Actually we should hard coded that field, so it could not be changed.Especially if the Welcome PM is replied to by the new user, it would then get to the admin.

Actually, I feel that allowing the admin to put a different board member's user name in the sender field is a good thing.  In my case, I have set up the board for use by people in an organization.  The organization is my client.  The global moderators (GMs) are running the board, and I really don't feel my technical support of the board should draw attention to itself.  So, now that I have this part of the board configuration settings figured out, I like it just the way it is.  The GMs have decided to have the new member welcome PM come from the account of just one of them, and their co-authorship of the PM and their shared responsibility for the board are made clear in the body of the PM itself.  If a board member has a problem, we're expecting that board member to ask for help from one of the GMs, and if a GM doesn't know how to solve the problem, she will bring it to my attention.

Thanks again for your assistance with this issue.  I am a relatively new user of YaBB, and, so far, I really, really like it.  Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

froggy

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2010 at 8:42pm
Post Tools
froggy wrote on May 8th, 2010 at 7:05pm:
"Send to new user from the following board member (one user name only--display name not allowed)."

Agree with your conclusions ... and the comment text for that field has already been under scrutiny and is to be replaced when with the next release.
   We had already had another user try "Forum Team" which was just dreamed up, the word "account" seems to be not understood, since we replaced "My Account" with "User CP" for the access button to users profile.
   Actually we should hard coded that field, so it could not be changed.  Especially if the Welcome PM is replied to by the new user, it would then get to the admin.

IP Logged

froggy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2010 at 7:05pm
Post Tools
Thanks to both of you for sticking with me.  The issue is resolved now, but please read further.

CJ, the problem with telling me that, "it is impossible to send email OR PM's from 2 senders," is that, in regard to PMs, what you say doesn't exactly fit with my own observations, and, like most people, I am used to believing my own eyes.  I might arrive at the wrong conclusion about what I have observed, but until I hear why my conclusion is wrong, I will tend to believe that my conclusion is the right one.  After all, it fits with what I saw with my very own eyes.  I understand that when an e-mail message is sent out, it can only be sent from a single e-mail account.  And I can accept that this could also be the case for PMs.  The thing is, if one puts two senders' display names in the field for the sender for the automatic welcome PM, it will look to the receiver like the PM came from two people, whatever process was used to send the PM.  You folks definitely know better than I how this works.  So, if the second sender name doesn't fit into the YaBB scheme of things, that's OK with me.  I just needed the documentation--or, in this case, you--to tell me so, rather than telling me that it's impossible to do what I believe I have just done.

You say, "No where is the documentation nor the Send Welcome PM screen does it state the ability to add multiple senders, separated by spaces or commas as delimiters or not," and that is true.  But neither is there anything saying that only one name can be used.  As with some parts of the documentation, one is left to one's own devices, and one decides to experiment to find out what the documentation doesn't cover as well as one would like.  I'm sure you've done this before yourself with some software.  I did what I could to answer a question that wasn't answered by the documentation, and I came up with a result that caused me a problem that I couldn't figure out on my own.

OH, at your suggestion, I did put "admin"--with nothing else--in the sender field of the welcome PM settings.  And, yes, the PM gets sent out with my display name indicated as the sender, and I'm _not_ shown as an "(Ex Member)".  When I put my display name--with nothing else--in the sender field of the welcome PM settings, guess what happens?  Yup, the message gets sent with my display name indicated as the sender, and I _am_ shown as an "(Ex Member)".

I have done additional testing, and these are my conclusions:

(1) As you both say, there can be only one sender's name set in the welcome PM settings.

(2) If one uses a board member's _display_name_ as the sender's name in the welcome PM settings, YaBB will not be able to find that display name in its list of _user_names_, and it will indicate the sender is an "(Ex Member)" in the PM.

(3) If one uses two board member's _user_names_ (or their _display_names_) as the senders' names--i.e. the string "user_name_1, user_name_2" (or "display_name_1, display_name_2")--in the welcome PM settings, YaBB won't be able to find the string "user_name_1, user_name_2" (or "display_name_1, display_name_2") in its list of user names, and it will indicate that the senders are an "(Ex Member)" in the PM.

(4) Better wording for this particular field in the welcome PM settings might be something like:  "Send to new user from the following board member (one user name only--display name not allowed)."

Thanks again, CJ and OH.

Best regards,

froggy
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2010 at 7:22pm by froggy »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2010 at 4:12pm
Post Tools
froggy wrote on May 8th, 2010 at 5:06am:
No, that's not the problem.

Sorry .. That IS the problem.  It is impossible to send email OR PM's from 2 senders.
  "IF" you were having problems with 1 user, then that user has a registration problem, that should be remedied.
  froggy wrote on May 8th, 2010 at 5:06am:
- Send to new user from following account name:[sender display name(s)--in this case, one or two global moderators' names, separated by a comma when there are two]

No where is the documentation nor the Send Welcome PM screen does it state the ability to add multiple senders, separated by spaces or commas as delimiters or not.  Before you even try it, PM's nor email can not be sent from membergroups either.  The ONLY accepted account is a username, (1) username.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2010 at 4:41pm by »  

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2010 at 3:01pm
Post Tools
Well as CJ pointed out, the sending of Welcome PMs is only intended to be from 1 user.  I can make my forum send from any one of many users, the PM shows just fine, but as soon as I try putting a second user in there, all of them show as ex-members in the PM only, but not in posts.

When I changed it back to a single user, the problem went away.

Try changing it so the PM is sent by you (admin) and see if the problem persists.

You're going to have to do some experimenting to find out which user/users are causing the problem if using only a single user as sender.

IP Logged

froggy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2010 at 7:34am
Post Tools
Perhaps I should add, that while only one of the two global moderators (GMs) is actively participating in regard to doing posts, the other GM still is registered and is occasionally logging in.  She just hasn't done a post since January 30th, and that post has been deleted.  As far as I can tell, neither GM should be perceived by YaBB as being an "ex member," and, as I indicated in an earlier post, the actively posting GM is not labeled an "ex member" on her posts.

Thanks,

froggy
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2010 at 7:36am by froggy »  

IP Logged

froggy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2010 at 5:06am
Post Tools
No, that's not the problem.  In fact, the ex-member-sender problem showed up when I only had one sender designated.  Then I tried it with two senders, and we have the same problem:  "Ex member" in italics appears after the sender name (or names).

Captain John, the way it's done is to set the following in the Forum Preferences and Settings/Private Messages tab:

Want to send new users a welcome PM?       [check mark in check box]

- Send to new user from following account name:      [sender display name(s)--in this case, one or two global moderators' names, separated by a comma when there are two]

- Enter the PM Subject here:  [Welcome!]

- Enter the PM Text here:  [Welcome to the ....]

The welcome message does not have to be from the admin.

If either of you could help me figure out why "Ex member" in italics appears after the sender name (or names) in this automatic welcome message, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

froggy

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2010 at 4:30am
Post Tools
That's exactly what I was just testing and that's the problem.

If you try to use two senders, sender1; sender2, it will give you the ex-member deal.  Try it with just one and you'll see it goes away.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2010 at 4:13am
Post Tools
froggy wrote on May 7th, 2010 at 6:11pm:
and 2 global moderators, shown as the senders, are labeled as "Ex-member"

How is this done ?

Quote:
Want to send new users a Welcome PM?         
    - Send to new user from following account name:      

Only one (1) users account and normally this should be the "admin"

a PM can be sent to multiple recipients, but can ONLY be sent from one user.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2010 at 4:15am by »  

IP Logged

froggy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2010 at 3:19am
Post Tools
This has been a slow roll-out, and we've deleted all of the earliest test postings.  Only one GM is actively participating at this time.  All of her posts are fairly recent ones.  They all show her as a member of her member group, and there's nothing about her being an ex-member.

Thanks,

froggy

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2010 at 2:53am
Post Tools
Well is this only showing up in the new user PM, or if you look at some of their earlier (oldest) posts do you also see them as ex-member?

IP Logged

froggy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2010 at 11:58pm
Post Tools
Dear OH,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Forum start date & time:

$forumstart = "12\/13\/08\ at\ 10\:00\:00"

(Originally was 12/13/2008, 22:something, but I made the time earlier just in case it would help.  It didn't.)

One GM's reg. date:

'regdate',"12/14/08 at 02:25:10"

The other GM's reg. date:

'regdate',"01/29/09 at 12:01:31"

I don't know where to find the first post date/time, but I'd be glad to look it up if you can give me a clue as to where it is.

Thanks,

froggy

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #1 - May 7th, 2010 at 11:31pm
Post Tools
Is the Global Moderator's reg. date earlier than the date of their first post?

Dates (and times) should occur in this order:

1 Forum Start date/time
2 Registration date/time
3 First Post date/time
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2010 at 11:32pm by OH Eng »  

IP Logged

froggy
YaBB Newcomer

Ex-members who aren't ex-members
May 7th, 2010 at 6:11pm
Post Tools
I'm running ver. 2.4 (recently updated from 2.3) and 2 global moderators, shown as the senders, are labeled as "Ex-member" when the automatic new member welcome PM is received by a new member.  Everything looks in order to me in Settings.pl and in the Members directory.  The board's start date is earlier than the global moderators' registration dates.  What am I missing?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top