Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic YaBB2 on Abyss Web Server Success. (Read 3,978 times)
Elfen

Re: YaBB2 on Abyss Web Server Success.
Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 10:50pm
Post Tools
I wanted to do an Abyss Webserver/YaBB configuration many years ago but didn't because it did not have the support it has now.

See what changes when given time...!

Great work there, DivAtATC!

IP Logged

DivAtATC
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2010 at 6:21am
Post Tools
Quote:
Sweeeeeeeet !!!

LOL, that was my exact words when it all worked.  SWEEET!

I think this is a good combination for those individuals out there with limited resources and limited server side knowledge.  Abyss is really easy to setup and understand (fully graphical, no cli stuff involved) and is robust enough for both beginners and ninja programmers that don't want to get involved with setting up a unix server at home just so they can work off-line on their primary interest: their YaBB forum! 

And it's great for the budget minded too.  One could install all this (essentially free) software on their one and only home Windows computer and develop code to their hearts content without having to do so on their live forum site, or some remote test environment/site.  They could put this on thier Vista notebook computer and bring it along when camping this summer and work on their stuff during those rainy days along with any of their other HTML stuff.

I'll be back on payday with a contribution!  Tks guys!  Wink

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2010 at 4:49am
Post Tools
DivAtATC wrote on May 13th, 2010 at 3:03am:
Now I can sit here and work on my site code without having to edit files across the internet or having to FTP stuff back and forth.

Sweeeeeeeet !!!

IP Logged

DivAtATC
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2010 at 3:03am
Post Tools
Hey Captain,

I'm using Abyss Web Server X1 (V2.6) with the following interpreters:

• PHP V5.2.10 (the version recommended by the Abyss folks on their site)
  • ActivePerl V5.10.1.1007 (Win32 version)

I also assigned the following virtual paths within Abyss to make the installation of YaBB2.4 simple (I didn't need to edit a darn thing before installing):

• /usr/bin/perl to C:\perl\bin
  • /cgi/yabb2 to C:\yabb2
  • /yabbfiles to D:\yabbfiles

I could have also put those yabb directories within the root directory Abyss uses, but I wanted to keep them outside of that to make securing them from outside access a lot easier.

I locked down those virtual paths within Abyss too so that they can only be accessed from my internal network address without the need for a password to be assigned to them in order to keep regular outside visitors out of them (I do run some webcam pages through my home server that are open to the public, so the hacker bots do still try to look for those things, ha).

And because the server is behind my firewall and I'm the only one going to be using it to access my test YaBB forum at home, I didn't bother with setting any directory permissions for the YaBB files as one must for an on-line server (I merely made sure nothing inbound from the internet ever gets to those directories .. I can access it remotely through a VPN connection when I need to however).

Works great without a single logged error.  Now I can sit here and work on my site code without having to edit files across the internet or having to FTP stuff back and forth.

Happy camper!  And it all performs just fine.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2010 at 3:34am by DivAtATC »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #1 - May 12th, 2010 at 6:34pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Abyss Web Server enables you to host your Web sites on your computer.

It supports secure SSL/TLS connections (HTTPS) as well as a wide range of Web technologies.

It can also run advanced PHP, Perl, Python, ASP, ASP.NET, and Ruby on Rails Web applications which can be backed by databases such as MySQL, SQLite, MS SQL Server, MS Access, or Oracle.

* Abyss Web Server X1 is absolutely free!

Question .. what version did you install, (free version) x1 or x2 (paid version) ?
   If installed x2, was that because x1 doesn't support Perl ? 

Always glad to hear of a user, who is able to install to a personal home server and it works !!

IP Logged

DivAtATC
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB2 on Abyss Web Server Success.
May 12th, 2010 at 5:39pm
Post Tools
Hey ya'll,

I hadn't seen anyone comment on this particular combination, and it didn't come up in a search, so I thought I would report my success.  The installation went smoothly and everything works great to my delight!

A few months ago I installed the Abyss Web Server on an old XP computer that primarily functions as my file and print server at home.  I selected Abyss for a number of reasons, but primarily I needed it to run on a Windows platform.  And it does, and it has worked like a champ ever since.  I use that web server to develop and test PHP code I'm working on at home.

Last month I decided I wanted to integrate a forum into my actual on-line web site that runs on a shared Apache server.  I also wanted to work on my forum site off-line at home too, for efficiency reasons as well as not wanting to be testing on the live on-line forum.  AND, I did not want to set up a second computer at home just to run Apache in order to do this.  So, I decided to see if YaBB would run under the Abyss web server. 

I already had the latest recommended fastCGI and PHP and ActivePerl stuff installed and working through Abyss, so testing the YaBB combination really didn't seem like a lot of work.  All I really had to do was to assign two virtual paths to the YaBB2 and yabbfiles directory on the server to match what the YaBB installation assumed and defaulted to during install.  And because only "I" will be the only one accessing this test development server, restricting access to the entire site within Abyss and my cable router took care of all security concerns without having to perform the CHMOD equivalents within Windows XP.   

Then I ran the YaBB2 setup.pl script once everything was in place and ready to try, and to my delight the installation ran without a single glitch -- after of course I ran it for a second time because I should have started the setup.pl script using my home networks DynDNS address instead of 127.0.0.1, ha.

I haven't tested every forum function yet, but I do believe I tested enough of them that span most of the forums functionality, so I'm pretty confident that everything should be just fine. 

The next step is to overlay the initial default installation files with copies from the backup of the current on-line live site .. without breaking anything related to the sites configuration.

I have to tell you I was quite pleased to see that this worked out as I had hope it would.  Now I have a system to develop and test on at home, and I didn't have to power up another computer just to host all this under an Apache web server platform. 

Great work you guys!  Now I feel compelled to begin scratching up some cash to kick into the kitty for a site license.  I will work on that too over the next few days, okay.   Wink   

Again, great work (despite the little things I had to fix within YaBB2 myself, for appearance sake of course, ha .. I'm up to windowbg12 in the CSS file so far, lol). 

Have a great day ya'll, I'll be back later with some more input and hopefully some of that economic stimulus paper to contribute too.

Mike/Div
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2010 at 6:18pm by DivAtATC »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top