Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic problem accessing YABB from a dual WAN router (Read 2,198 times)
GeneralUser
YaBB Newcomer

problem accessing YABB from a dual WAN router
May 13th, 2010 at 10:23pm
Post Tools
One of the bulletin board that I frequent uses YABB. I have a dual WAN router. The router is hooked up to a cable modem and DSL modem and it's set to Load Balance. What this means is the some packet requests it receives get routed via the cable modem and other requests get routed via the dsl modem, depending upon which one is least busy.

The issue that I am having is that I am not able to stay logged into the board. Once I get logged in and am looking at the list of various messages, if I click one of the messages to read it, I have about a 50/50 chance of getting logged out. Every button I click has about a 50/50 chance of logging me out. And I don't get logged back on automatically.

I don't know if this is an issue with FireFox not reauthorizing me or something with YABB. I'm able to use other bulletin board systems without a problem.

I'm pretty sure the trigger for the problem has to do with the dual WAN stuff because I can switch its mode so that it only switches to the 2nd channel when the first one goes down. When I'm in that mode, it works okay. But I lose 1/2 of my bandwidth when I do that so that's not really an option.

I just registered on this board here and will play around with it and see if I have similar problems on here as I do on the other board.

IP Logged

GeneralUser
YaBB Newcomer

Re: problem accessing YABB from a dual WAN router
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2010 at 10:29pm
Post Tools
As a follow up... I've clicked and clicked on a bunch of stuff on this message board and don't seem to have the same problem here as I do on the other one.

I don't know what version they're using over there (I'm just a lowly little user), but will ping them to see if it might be something at there end.

IP Logged

LoneWebSurfer
Past Team Members

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2010 at 12:36am
Post Tools
hmm Im not going to pretend I understand  your set up with a dual router.. it was all I could do to set up my wireless router lol
so this thought may be pretty dumb. if so .. forgive my ignorance Cheesy

but.. by some chance do each *channel* have different ip? I know my wireless shows a completly different ip than if im plugged directly into the modem.. *IF* this is the case.. maybe if they disabled session security it may help... but again.. I dont know jack diddly about technical stuff Embarrassed... its just a thought

Closed all my sites due to lack of Internet access
IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2010 at 2:14am
Post Tools
They absolutely have to have a different IP otherwise the traffic would all take a single path.  I can't see why this would be any faster since you have introduced two new processing steps into the data transfer (splitting it going out and splicing it coming in).

I have no idea why you think your broadband is too slow for simple data transfer like http requests that you need to supplement it with DSL.  That's like taking a helicopter to the corner store.  Likely what you are running into is a forum that has session IDs enabled and the forum can't figure out what IP you are using, or figures you are using one and someone else on a different IP is trying to spoof you.

Use just one modem or the other to access the forum and your problem should go away.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2010 at 2:18am by OH Eng »  

IP Logged

GeneralUser
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2010 at 3:22am
Post Tools
There isn't really that much extra processing for the dual wan. It doesn't split individual requests up and resplice, but rather sends separate requests out to different ISPs.

In that sense, a better analogy would be to have two cars available to drive to work. If one's broken down, take the other. And while I'm in one, my wife can still use the other. The only extra overhead involved is deciding which car to take.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2010 at 8:00am
Post Tools
MORE info on dual wan:
Quote:
so what is a dual wan router & why is it so special? the idea is simple. its a router that allows the use of two seperate internet connections, thus doubling the available bandwidth while also providing a backup internet solution in case one modem dies. cool huh? so why doesnt everybody have a dual wan router, sounds easy? well its not, and because they cant. theres many reasons why but cost is number one.

static wan ips are currently not supported, only wan ips acquired via dhcp. keep in mind you will not see any increase in speed if a typical speedtest is run or normal web browsing. u will only be able to fully utilize this type of dual wan when using download managers, torrents, or similar method that uses multiple threads to download/upload data. while it is possible to "double" the bandwidth typical results will be around 15-25% less the maximum depending on method chosen. true dual wan or bonding can only be accomplished with assistance from ur local isp.

as OH Eng wrote on May 14th, 2010 at 2:14am:
into is a forum that has session IDs enabled and the forum can't figure out what IP you are using, or figures you are using one and someone else on a different IP is trying to spoof you.

« Last Edit: May 14th, 2010 at 8:03am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2010 at 3:42pm
Post Tools
You need to create an exception for that YaBB forum. Route that traffic through one ISP connection only. 

You didn't say the brand or model. But, take a look in your router's configuration manuals.  That should solve your problem.   

Good Luck
Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top