Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic A non Banned User unable to login with Banned msg (Read 2,077 times)
The Boy

A non Banned User unable to login with Banned msg
May 16th, 2010 at 9:44pm
Post Tools
I have a user that is not Banned who when they attempted to log in get:

System Information
Banning Notification. Sorry, you are banned from using this forum!

They are not in the Banning section of Settings

In ban_log.txt, it is showing a completely different (previously banned) user. If I unban this other, previously banned user, the user getting the error can log in.

Any guidance?

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Re: A non Banned User unable to login with Banned msg
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2010 at 10:10pm
Post Tools
What version are you using?  Also, how was this other user banned (IP/Email/user name)?

In version 2.4 the information for banned users is stored in the Settings.pl file. 

The only thing that goes into the ban_log.txt file is any attempt by a banned user to log into the forum.  It records the date/time (in Unix time stamp format), the user's email (IF an email ban is in effect), and the IP from which they are trying to log in.  If the user is banned by user name, it records date/time, username, IP.  That's information only, removing it has nothing to do with allowing the user in or not.  That has to be done in Settings.pl or by logging in as Admin and clicking on the user name in the Members list, then unbanning (from whatever ban) at the bottom of the profile page.

Are you sure you didn't remove an IP ban?

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2010 at 10:24pm by OH Eng »  

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2010 at 8:43am
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on May 16th, 2010 at 10:10pm:
What version are you using?  Also, how was this other user banned (IP/Email/user name)?

In version 2.4 the information for banned users is stored in the Settings.pl file. 

The only thing that goes into the ban_log.txt file is any attempt by a banned user to log into the forum.  It records the date/time (in Unix time stamp format), the user's email (IF an email ban is in effect), and the IP from which they are trying to log in.  If the user is banned by user name, it records date/time, username, IP.  That's information only, removing it has nothing to do with allowing the user in or not.  That has to be done in Settings.pl or by logging in as Admin and clicking on the user name in the Members list, then unbanning (from whatever ban) at the bottom of the profile page.

Are you sure you didn't remove an IP ban?

Lets call the unbanned user User1 and the banned user User2.  I have User1's logon credentials so I could test what he was seeing.

The ban_log.txt is showing (when I attempt to log in as User1)...

Date/time User2 My_IP

If I unban User2 (by username), User1 can log in OK.  As soon as I ban User2 (by username), User1 gets a msg that they are banned when attempting to log in.

User1's profile looks OK to me, also the .vars looks fine as well.

User1's username does not appear in Settings.pl, and the IP I am attempting to log in from doesn't either.  I can log in as my own account from same IP.

YaBB 2.40

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2010 at 2:14pm
Post Tools
Any chance it might have something to do with this?

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1259457005

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2010 at 11:42am
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 8:43am:
The ban_log.txt is showing (when I attempt to log in as User1)...

Date/time User2 My_IP

This is telling you that the ban is being caused by a bad User name, not banned by Email or IP.  You haven't said if these user names are close, or one of them includes the text of the other.

I think Derek's answer is going to be your solution.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2010 at 11:31am
Post Tools
Yes, reckon link above could be the reason, looking at link above.

Should I just make the change to code, or try to grab the file?

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2010 at 11:38am
Post Tools
I would recommend you make the change to the code manually.  I'm not sure if any other changes were made to the file.  When using CVS files, you run into the problem of file dependency... where a change made might effect several files at once.  If you only pick out one file, it will cause problems.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2010 at 1:08pm
Post Tools
OH Eng wrote on May 19th, 2010 at 11:38am:
I would recommend you make the change to the code manually.  I'm not sure if any other changes were made to the file.  When using CVS files, you run into the problem of file dependency... where a change made might effect several files at once.  If you only pick out one file, it will cause problems.

Yup, thats what I did in the end, and the issue is cured. Thanks to all Cheesy

With regard to all the updates made to 2.4, and seeing as YaBB3 is badly delayed, probably about time we had an official 2.4.1 release Tongue - or is that the special download on the 10th birthday Roll Eyes

IP Logged

OH Eng
Past Team Members
Documentation Team

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2010 at 2:03pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on May 24th, 2010 at 1:08pm:
With regard to all the updates made to 2.4, and seeing as YaBB3 is badly delayed, probably about time we had an official 2.4.1 release Tongue - or is that the special download on the 10th birthday

Yes.  The anniversary release will include all the bug fixes to date.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top