Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Member missing from forum (Read 2,569 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Member missing from forum
Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 2:21pm
Post Tools
Ghostess -

Are you taking backups of your forum?

Huh

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

ghostess
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 9:40am
Post Tools
I have had this issue happen to me as well, once a couple of weeks ago, and then again a couple of days ago.  I am pretty much forum illiterate when it comes to the inner workings, so I haven't been able to get their accounts back.  It just shows them as "ex-members" and I cannot view any profile on either of them.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2010 at 3:06pm
Post Tools
Check your backup and see how many have his username. (How many?)

shooter56 wrote on May 27th, 2010 at 4:11pm:
He last logged in on May 18th.

Sure .. if that backup is only 2 weeks old ... edit the username.vars file and change the file ext to bak (username.bak), then upload his backup files.

Then run the Members Maintenance functions in the Admin Center.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2010 at 3:58pm by »  

IP Logged

shooter56

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2010 at 9:56am
Post Tools
As i mentioned originally there is only 1 file under his username in the Members folder - the file ending in .vars. I see that other members have multiple files. Does this tell you anything about what may have happened? If I could restore the files for him that were in the Members folder two weeks ago, might that solve the problem? Or are we more likely talking about other missing files in other folders as well?

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2010 at 1:12am
Post Tools
Are you talking about the Members folder, inside the yabb2 folder, inside the cgi-bin folder?

Yes ...... sorting by name should display (approximately) 4 to 6 files, including the .vars file.

File structure of these files can be found on the Codex here: http://codex.yabbforum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1224094402

shooter56 wrote on May 26th, 2010 at 8:37pm:
I am the Admin for a YaBB 2.4 Forum Software forum

I haven't backed up myself.

I "strongly" suggest, you setup YaBB's Backup configuration.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2010 at 1:15am by »  

IP Logged

shooter56

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2010 at 4:11pm
Post Tools
I haven't backed up myself. But my hosting company backs up every night. And I think they keep 5 days. But I don't know when this happened. He last logged in on May 18th.

Are you talking about the Members folder, inside the yabb2 folder, inside the cgi-bin folder? The only file I have in that folder with his username is a file ending in .vars which is 1.84KB. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I really appreciate your help.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2010 at 3:42pm
Post Tools
mmmmmmmm  Have you checked his files in the ./Members folder ?  Any file zero'd ? (bytes) ... or if viewing looked corrupted ?
   Do you Backup your forum ?  Any "recent" backups of the ./Members folder ?

IP Logged

shooter56

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2010 at 3:36pm
Post Tools
He is not able to login, which is how I found about this. He wanted to know if he had been accidentally banned, which he was not. And while his profile says he has 541 posts, when you click from his profile to see his last 5 posts, or 25 for that matter, it says there are no posts by this user.

I am just baffled...

UPDATE: I just went into his profile and changed his password. Then I logged out. Upon attempting to login as him with the new password - with either his display name or his actual username - I get the message:

Username / Password mismatch.
The Username you specified does not exist or you entered a wrong password.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2010 at 3:25pm
Post Tools
Is he able to login ?  Does his Displayname/username have any characters other than alphanumeric ?  Does he have any recent posts that you can actually see in Last Post or within a board ?

IP Logged

shooter56

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2010 at 11:13am
Post Tools
His join date in his profile says June 29, 2009. The forum began on June 20, 2009, so that appears good. His profile does show that he's a member of a post-dependent member group - Master Member - which is 500+ posts.

I am searching on his Display name - the name that all other members see. And as I said, while my search does not yield any posts by him, it does yield replies to posts started by him. And it's only by clicking his name in that "Started by" link in those posts that I can get to his profile.

I also tried a search on his actual login username. That yields nothing.

I'm stumped and would sure appreciate anyone's input. He's made 541 posts in the past 11 months, which is what his profile says. But none are visible, nor is he.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #1 - May 27th, 2010 at 12:44am
Post Tools
shooter56 wrote on May 26th, 2010 at 8:37pm:
In his profile it shows all his information accurately,

mmm well if his profile is there, he's not gone.  Is his registration date (when he joined) "after" the Forum's Start date ?  Does he have a post-dependent membergroup assigned ?
When you search do you search for his "Display"name ?

IP Logged

shooter56

Member missing from forum
May 26th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Post Tools
I am the Admin for a YaBB 2.4 forum that's been up for about a year, about 1400 members. One of my earliest joiners has suddenly "disappeared" from the forum, apparently not of his own doing. Two weeks ago he was definitely there.

Here's what's happening:

When I search the pages in the member list in the forum, his username does not come up. So I can't find his profile that way.

When I search for posts by him, none come up. But when I search for posts that include his username, I get other people's posts in threads that were started by him. In those posts, if I click on his username under the "Started by" section, I am taken to his profile (which I can't find any other way).

In his profile it shows all his information accurately, including that he has made 541 posts. But when I click to show his last 5 or 25 posts, it says there are no posts by this user.

I have not banned his email address, his username or his IP address.

One more thing. He was part of my Moderator post-independent member group. The only change I made, at the board owner's request, was to remove him from that group by way of the Admin Edits section of his profile. (I just un-highlighted the name of the group). I also removed him as a moderator on specific boards using the Manage Boards section in the admin panel. I've never touched the members list in the admin panel.

Sorry this is so long winded. I'm just baffled on how he could have "disappeared." He says he didn't do it and I know I didn't do it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2010 at 8:39pm by shooter56 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top