Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Can you PM yourself? (Read 1,411 times)
Harris Filters
YaBB Newcomer

Can you PM yourself?
Jun 10th, 2010 at 10:30am
Post Tools
I have been asked where the facility is to send a PM to yourself. Apparently, this was a feature on our previous 1.3 version, but since upgrading the PM icon is not visible on your own posts and your own username. The reason for wanting this feature is that some information is woth noting for later, so the users used to copy and paste it to a PM and send it themselves. Is there a way to add this feature or enable it? I have tried various settings but nothing works. It will probably be something simple that I have missed. Manythanks for your help.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Can you PM yourself?
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 2:02pm
Post Tools
That's an interesting request, and I see its purpose.

I have previously suggested we create a 'draft post' function for the same kind of use. You would open the reply box, and an option would be available to 'save draft'.  The drafts would be saved in your User COntrol Panel/Profile just like PM's are.

LOL - One the same note,  I also suggested we allow adding attachements to PM's.

Oh Well, must not have been glamorous enough.  Wink

Good Luck
Smiley

PS: This might not be such a big code fix, I'm going to look when I get a break from the server transfer and user problems my 'real job' has me on right now. LOL of course, if Derek or Carsten (or anyone else) want to get ahead of me on this, well, all good - they will likely have a 'sweeter' solution than I could imagine.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2010 at 2:07pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Harris Filters
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 3:07pm
Post Tools
Cheers for the quick response. Much appreciated. I never thought before about PM yourself to save notes like little stickies, its only now that I keep getting asked. Not long ago we upgraded from the 1.3 version, and they say it was on there, perhaps it was a lucky bug?

All it needs is to display the PM link at the bottom of all messages. Its been years and years since dabbling with code (BASIC and a little C+) so am a little apprehensive about altering code in case it crashed the board. Back to school for me I think. LOL.

JonB wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 2:02pm:
Oh Well, must not have been glamorous enough.Wink

Seems a good idea to me  Grin.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 3:29pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 2:02pm:
suggested we create a 'draft post' function for the same kind of use. You would open the reply box, and an option would be available to 'save draft'.The drafts would be saved in your User COntrol Panel/Profile just like PM's are.

That is possible. "Save as Draft"

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:44pm
Post Tools
I wasn't clear enough obviously - "draft POSTs" not PMs. 

I was referring to the idea that his folks were using the send PM feature to 'keep notes' -- the ability to create drafts of posts and replies could serve the same purpose. (its present in some other forum software, and I have found it very useful)

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:17pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:44pm:
I wasn't clear enough obviously -

Yep ... he was talking PM's, I presumed you were talking PM's

IP Logged