Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic No yabb in cpanel (Read 2,979 times)
sleepy
YaBB Newcomer

No yabb in cpanel
Jul 21st, 2010 at 5:32pm
Post Tools
g'day
I asked a questing on a hosts forums and been told that yabb is bad?  Undecided

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this topic. Is this true though?

http://forums.jumba.com.au/showthread.php?p=130831#post130831

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: No yabb in cpanel
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 5:44pm
Post Tools
lol ... the last version was downloaded over 43,000 times ... don't think so !  A New Anniversary Edition was just released and the YaBB Software has been embraced by users since the year 2000.
   Forum software is as good as its support, go to any forum software support forum and see how many posts have a 0 (zero) reply and users problems or questions are never answered.  You inquiry was answered in 12 minutes, usually all are answered in 24 hrs.

Edited:
and it's ALL free !
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2010 at 1:07am by »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:59pm
Post Tools
Hi there -

Its worth noting this - 'Bruce' (the one with the disparaging remarks) there on that 'jumba' forum was talking about a YaBB forum with:

TADA!

Forum Statistics 
  Our users have made 459110 Posts within 34890 Topics.
The most recent post is Re: flottilla 7 stenhouse bay 28 - 29 August (Today at 8:38am).
View the 100 most recent posts of this forum. We have 18332 registered members.
The newest member is gasyakker.
You have 1 Personal Messages of which 1 is new. 
  Most Users ever online was 283 on Jan 11th, 2010 at 3:34pm.
Most Members ever online was 273 on Jan 11th, 2010 at 3:32pm.
Most Guests ever online was 61 on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 6:42pm.
Most Search Engines ever online was 2 on Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:38pm. 

Users Online 
  Members: 80
Moggy, tango07, codmac, Beats Work, jezac, Bruce, Mr_Willy, FishingRick, exilr8, Carter Knoll, skipp, dukesix, CRUSHA560, Wino, footy81, teats, PPecker, ANDREWARTHA831, blunt hook, paddles118, Rick, Goldie, Ozzy, RCVS, eags (formerly Smithy), knighty88, reggrundy, r o t a r e, Fronty, marine_care, Jumbucks, Big Paul, David_C, hills billy, A Jay, dub64, Still_trying, eagz, Anz, micky_spry, killick, specofishing, Damage, the King, greyghost, southreel, BUSSY, JB, T-Curve, golden duck, TJILPI, password, Turts, mungerfish, Tryhard, hotrod, Mangrovejack, TK, Garfish, Declan Sambrook, mingy, Bellboy_man, hundee, Stacer_Lewie, cocky, sky30, calamari kid, marlin00, grepin, shane_f, Hilt, Blacky, bigmacca, Paley, Drummo, Caiazza318, sccalube, skuta9, Gaffer, JonB
Guests: 5
Search Engines: 0
lllll Administratorlllll Senior Memberlllll Global Moderatorlllll Full Memberlllll FSA Sponsorlllll Junior Memberlllll FSA Managementlllll Forum Memberlllll Expert Member

http://www.fishsa.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl (www.fishSA.com)

80 online users is a LOAD...

I sure freakkin' HOPE it would be on a VPS (or dedicated sever), "Bruce" may be the posting admin there, but he clearly knows little about hosting dynamic websites.  NO forum with ANY BBS software that big should be run on a shared webhost. Plus they have a pile of 'other stuff'. What a tool...  Of course. he didn't know enough about YaBB to know that forum is on a current version that was released in 2009, so much for his credibility.

I'm gonna leave a 'great job guys note' - and we now have another 'monster site' - 1/2 million posts.

Here's to fishing forums, yet another huge one...

Jon B <== a 'real' server geek. (as opposed to an uninformed, opinionated @#$$%$%$^%)

Cheers!
Smiley

is 'jumba' for his b*tt size?  Grin 
do you think he pee'd me off, LOL?
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2010 at 12:01am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:43am
Post Tools
A mere baby site Grin Grin

Our users have made 923075 Posts within 72781 Topics.
The most recent post is Re: Camcover gaskets prices!!! (Today at 09:40).
View the  most recent posts of this forum. We have 8597 registered members.
The newest member is autoparts.
You have 29 Personal Messages of which 10 are new. 
Most Users ever online was 348 on 06. Apr 2008 at 01:19.
Most Members ever online was 84 on 28. Mar 2010 at 21:54.
Most Guests ever online was 110 on 08. Jan 2009 at 12:00.
Most Search Engines ever online was 328 on 06. Apr 2008 at 01:19. 

JonB wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:59pm:
do you think he pee'd me off, LOL?

Nooooo, of course not Tongue

Grin Grin Grin

YaBB does seem to get a bad reputation, with low cost hosters moaning about YaBB.pl - is this because everything is always piped through YaBB.pl, rather than different scripts for different tasks as is used by some other systems?
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:46am by Jet Li »  
IP Logged

sleepy
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:57pm
Post Tools
The thing is Jumba is a great host with a great product. I have no complains about their service. I have had too many issues with the the hosts i have been with. I just wish Jumba would enable yabb in cpanel as I do not have the know how to do an install directly myself and keep it updated. My forum is still the same old version that I installed from cpanel years ago at another host and was just transfered over by helpful Jumba fellas when I moved to them

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:53pm
Post Tools
sleepy .. We (the YaBB Forum) have nothing to do with cPanels addon, that is a company the sells install addons to Hosts.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1224097366

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:57am
Post Tools
Years ago there was a bug in YaBB (2.2 I think) that caused long DNS Lookups and CPU take over issues. It was on 1 line of code and when some complained about it here, it was quickly found and fixed... in a matter of days I might add!

But some WebHost still did not trust the fixed up version of YaBB and basically spread bad words about it. Boo to them!

Now, I have seen YaBB forums with thousands of members and approaching million posts and still running strong, averaging 100 logged in users a day (the laserpointer forum being one of the bigger ones I know! http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=425462 ) running without problems. I have a modified YaBB forum (2.1 w/sub forums), which is tiny for friends and family and its been running since 2004.

I'd give YaBB a thumbs up.

If you need to install YaBB on a cPanel site, it can be done. The instructions is somewhere in the cPanel Installation Thread.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2010 at 2:01am by Elfen »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top