Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Installing YaBB on Redirected Domains (Read 2,418 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Installing YaBB on Redirected Domains
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:19pm
Post Tools
The out-of-the-box YaBB doesn't have a calendar -

Look on BoardMod - its a forum specifically for Mods (add-ins) for YaBB. (they are YaBB version specific)

Its on a Tab at the top of this page -

or

http://www.boardmod.org/

Good Luck
Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:33pm
Post Tools
Hi Jon,

Sorry but I can't find anywhere to ask this question, so please move/delete if I have posted incorrectly?

Does YaBB have a Calendar that I can add as a mod to the menu bar for keeping track of events etc.

I have spent a good couple of hours looking, but maybe I am nto looking in the right place?

Thanks.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:08pm
Post Tools
Great - I'm glad you got things working!

YaBB is a great tool, that you can tweak almost endlessly. Have a good time with your projects.

Smiley

IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:06pm
Post Tools
Thanks Jon for your reply, point taken and I purchased two hosting packages yesterday.

Wow even as a complete numpty setting YaBB was a cinch and editing it to make it really functional wasn't difficult either.

There's a few things that I still have to get my head around, but I'm very impressed.

Thanks once again for your help.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:11pm by Jkulin »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:12pm
Post Tools
Its unlikely (OK - it WON'T) to work correctly (or at all) for several reasons (all Apache related)

A: Apache has a built-in system for this (multiple sites on a single server) - vhosts; and - (trust me) your 'webspace' on that host is in 'one of them'.  One vhost can only have one DocumentRoot (webspace root)- PERIOD.

B: I won't get into the gritty details, but, on a server with shared IP's all running on port 80, the way Apache knows what vhost to send requests to is by the HostName i.e -www.yourlittledomain.tld -  in the HTTP header request.  Guess what?  A vhost can only have ONE ServerName (HostName). - Period (no caps needed this time)

C: Even if you had access to the server httpd.conf, the vhosts wouldn't work right (as you are thinking of) as they would be nested - that would mean that the contents of the subdomains would also be part of the primary host, thus -- if they had different domain names -- they would have 'cross-domain' security problems (among many other issues).

Bingo - 3 strikes and you are soo, soo, soo out - you could just go home now...  Smiley

Guess what else - when your Host provisioned the server - he/she/they/it already knew this, LOL.

Final analysis - Not going to happen -

But - a clever attempt  Grin

There are hosts out there that have VPS' around $10-15/month that will run YaBB (even multiples).  You can apply your skills to one of those. Skills will be needed as it will be 'yo-yo' (unmanaged - you are on your own -- but you will become a whiz fast!) - Managed VPS's start around $30-40 month. Or you can get a hosting plan with support for multiple domains.

Edited:
Afterward I realized something even more important - even if you could do this - you would unquestionably be breaking your Terms & Conditions with your host - which means they could shut you down at will, and (if adequately enraged) likely deny you access to your files.  Plus -- think of the effect of this -- its exactly what hackers seek to do with hijacked domains  -- little wonder it has been rendered impossible out of security concerns.

and - just a note on technique - Redirection points to another route, but it doesn't change the road signs (just like in the real world) and Rewrite only works within a server instance, both by design, for the reasons stated in the last paragraph.

Good Luck
Cool

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 12:48pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:01pm
Post Tools
Hi,

I've searched and can't find an answer to this one.

I not too clever when it comes to Linux, but I try.

My problem is that I have a main domain and I have established two directories underneath which I organised domain redirects to those directories and index's.

Effectively done to reduce the hosting costs as none of the domains are big traffic or storage of files.

My problem is having spent most of the afternoon trying to get it to work perfectly is that I need to install domain_2 under the directory structure of domain_1 and later domain_3 under domain_1

So the redirect appears to point to domain_2 but is in fact: -
/domain_1/domain_2

and

/domain_1/domain_3

within domain_2 I have copied cgi-bin & yabb files

I have checked and double checked the CHMOD

The pearl scripts are hidden from view and hosted by web fusion, but they confirm that as advised for the Yabb.pl that #!/usr/bin/perl is pointing into the correct direction.

If I try to run http://www.domain_2.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl it comes up with an error saying that I am not authorised to access the files.

I can get some sort of installation to run by typing http://www.domain_1.co.uk/(redirected directory for domain_2)/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl then it runs but no css files or templates work.

Problem is even if I could get that to work the url could not display correctly as domain_2

So probably having totally confused you, is what I am trying to do possible for someone thick like me or do I have to bite the bullet and pay up for hosting for each domain?

Many thanks for your help, any replies would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Jkulin

Installing YaBB on Redirected Domains
Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:00pm
Post Tools
Sorry all, I was hoping that you maybe able to help, I'm not allowed to publish my first post that contains URLs (even though they are fictitious)so please view my next post asking for some help.

Be gentle with us  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top