Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Feature Request - Email on post (Read 1,349 times)
BWIS
YaBB Newcomer

Feature Request - Email on post
Jul 29th, 2010 at 12:54am
Post Tools
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just upgraded my forum to 2.5 and have been very happy with the updates. (Great work guys). My forum doesn't have a lot of traffic, but I like to keep tabs on everything on a regular basis. So as to not let registrations/posts/etc. sit for days without acting on them, I have been a frequent watcher of my own forum. The new(er?) feature of emailing me when a registration occurs is  awesome. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a "email me when someone posts or replies and copy the text of the post in the email". In essence, when I posted this, a copy would go to a set email address. Then since my phone alerts me of emails, it would also (by association) alert me of forum posts. This would be very similar to the "notify of replies" option.

I searched all over to find this option, but couldn't find it. If there is a way, can someone let me know?

Thank you guys for the great work!!!!

BWIS

IP Logged

ThM
Past Team Members

None
Re: Feature Request - Email on post
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:10pm
Post Tools
Take a look on these two mods. Its possible one of this mods it is what you mean.

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1224667777/0#0
Works also with Yabb 2.4. Don't know if it works with YaBB 2.5 AE

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1273087370/0#0
For YaBB 2.4

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1279051509/0#0
The same for YaBB 2.5AE

Hope that helps ..  Smiley

Gruß ThM

IP Logged

BWIS
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 5:43pm
Post Tools
ThM,

Thanks for the links to some mods, but I am not sure if those would work. I haven't installed them. but reading through the descriptions and forum posts I think they do slightly different things.

The second links is just a different method of emailing. The first link is really close. However, you have to "watch" or "follow" a post to get the updates emailed to you. I was looking for a pretty much universal "Email me all interactions on my forum". So, when a new post is created, I get an email with the post title, description, and link. When a reply to an existing post is created, same. This would be identical to some mailing lists I am on where I get notified on interactions. (There could also be a digest feature too).

Any additional ideas?

Thanks,
BWIS

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 5:55pm
Post Tools
Hi -

On a busy forum, what you are thinking of is impractical - as you swamp the mailserver. (and you might well decide you DON'T like a mail alert on your phone for EVERYTHING)   Its good to be attentive, but... LOL.  A digest sounds more reasonable.

In the mean time - you could just turn on Board notification for all your boards (you are the admin after all) - and then decide which ones you don't care about.  (you can manage notifications in the User Control Panel)

Shocked

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

BWIS
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 9:27pm
Post Tools
JonB,

I get MAYBE 100 posts a year, so individual emails should be fine for my use. I completely understand how this would not be feasible for some forums. I went through all my settings and couldn't find where to turn on Board notifications. Where is this option and what does it do?

Thanks for the help,
BWIS

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 12:27am
Post Tools
1st - in User Control Panel as Admin - Options Page:

Quote:
Post and Board Notifications:  If you check this, you will see an additional Popup alert when you visit the Board Index if you have New Board or Post Notifications. (you don't have to turn on pop-ups to get e-mail alerts - just make the drop-down box answer = Yes)
Notify me of new Notifications by eMail?   Yes

After that:

Its right in front of you - when you open a Board - click on the Notification button!

Later, if you wish, you can also turn individual notifications OFF in the User Control Panel > options > Posts > Manage my Notifications.

Wink

Edited:
As I don't 'patrol them', I watch the Bugs, Languages, and Spanish Support Boards here, very convenient!
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2010 at 12:32am by JonB »  

board_notification.jpg ( 45 KB | 34 Downloads )
board_notification.jpg

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

BWIS
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 2:57am
Post Tools
JonB,

Thanks, I finally found it. I was having issues at first finding it on my CP since I had the option disabled in the forum settings. I alos had a few issues testing it as it does not notify on your own posts.  Wink (I just created a dummy account to test.)

Most of my boards are private as there is a category for each "team" and they have the same board names inside. This causes a bit of an issue on the UserCP -> Posts -> View user notifications -> Board Notifications as many have the same Board Name. If I could suggest a change to maybe list it as "Category / Board" instead of just "Board".

This is about 95% what I was asking, which is GREAT!!! The other 5% is if the email contained the post text, not just a link, and if there is a global toggle since I will have to manually add about 200 boards to watch. Smiley

Thanks,
BWIS

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 3:56pm
Post Tools
Use RSS .. it covers ALL you have permission to view.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools