Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Email Notification (Read 1,712 times)
Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Email Notification
Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:58pm
Post Tools
As you (admin) have setup.  A guest could use RSS, if permission is given (and ONLY to cats and boards where the permission exists).
   An admin sees ALL in RSS.

IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:54pm
Post Tools
So as long as they have used their subscription login then they should get the RSS feeds or have I got it wrong Capt? Grin

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:44pm
Post Tools
Jkulin wrote on Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:13am:
Forgive me if I am wrong but does the RSS feed work if some of the boards are hidden?

Yes, "But" only to users/members who have permission to view the hidden boards.  RSS is based on permissions.

IP Logged

Jkulin

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:13am
Post Tools
Quote:
Donia wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:58am:
The only reason we switched was because their old forum was $25/month, and I hoped to save them that money to put toward a more worthy cause.

lol saving a doctor $25 bucks a month .... an audacious undertaking.  Simple instruct them to subscribe to the RSS.

Forgive me if I am wrong but does the RSS feed work if some of the boards are hidden?

An alternative that I have had to do on one of my forums as it is a private forum by invite only, is when I set up a new user is to then modify their CP with the settings to receive PM and post notifications.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:17pm
Post Tools
Quote:
drs are hard nuts to crack, they either can't figure it out or are too busy to take the time!"

Grin Grin Grin

LOL - closely followed be their learned colleagues;  the attorneys of the world.  Wink

Roll Eyes

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 3:58pm
Post Tools
Donia wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:58am:
The only reason we switched was because their old forum was $25/month, and I hoped to save them that money to put toward a more worthy cause.

lol saving a doctor $25 bucks a month .... an audacious undertaking.  Simple instruct them to subscribe to the RSS.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 2:02am
Post Tools
Quote:
I found a Mod, but it does not appear to accommodate multiple boards, so everyone would get an email when something was posted, even if they didn't have access to that board.

ummm - probably not - BUT you should ask the mod's author. (on BoardMod).

I am only mentioning this as you did not mention which mode you were referring to - you do know that YaBB mods are almost all completely version-specific, right?

Good Luck.

Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 2:03am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Donia
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:58am
Post Tools
I understand your sentiment.  This is a group of doctors volunteering for an African missions organization that feel they are too busy to check a forum for updates.  The head doctor of the group wrote this to me when I told him each doctor had to set the feature themselves: "An alternative might be to send everyone instructions on how to set this feature; but drs are hard nuts to crack, they either can't figure it out or are too busy to take the time!"

If it is clearly spelled out that becoming a member of the forum means regular email updates (defaulting to on, with the option for them to turn it off), I don't feel it is spam.  And neither do they, because that is how their old forum worked and they appreciated that.  The only reason we switched was because their old forum was $25/month, and I hoped to save them that money to put toward a more worthy cause.

Thanks anyway.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:45am
Post Tools
No ....
  Unsolicited, unrequested email to members IS spam.

Users/Members have the option to be notified by popup or email, or not at all.  They have the option of selecting a board, topic, reply.

IP Logged

Donia
YaBB Newcomer

Email Notification
Aug 2nd, 2010 at 10:09pm
Post Tools
My client has 15+ different boards set up, and would like everyone in each board to receive an email when any message is posted to that board.  This is how his previous forum worked, and all of the users are OK with it.  I found the variable in the .vars file for a user.

'notify_me',""
'board_notifications',""
'thread_notifications',""

The default is that notifications are turned off.  Is there any way to default it to "on" for new users, and any way of setting it to "on" for all of the existing users?  (Do I have to go through everyone's .vars file and set it?  And if so, do I change it to "1" or something else?)

I found a Mod, but it does not appear to accommodate multiple boards, so everyone would get an email when something was posted, even if they didn't have access to that board.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top